theautolounge.net
February 23, 2018, 02:22:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ty's 84 Slant Back  (Read 1607 times)
Ty

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2009, 07:09:18 PM »

I got bored, and then i got inspired!

I figured, it's about time i get to work on the Seville because I miss it!

Today I pulled it out of the garage ripped out the headliner for starters, took a trip to autozone to get some basics for a flush and fill all round. Looking for a new valve body for this beasts transmission too, but we'll see..

I also said "to HELL with this whisper quietness" and took the sawzall to the exhaust..for now..Till i get myself some blowmasters for a trip to a local llantera shop (mexican car place where they do muffler/exhaust work for pennies on the dollar)

Give me 20 minutes to get the pics and vid uploaded..LOL yeah..a video of the noise this thing makes..It's hilarious...

heretic
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 07:24:00 PM »

are you doing the headliner yourself?....tell me you did not damage the form. if not it is easy. I will tell you how, if you will post "project" pics , as well as before and afters

I don't have an attitude problem... You have a "being an asshole" problem
Ty

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 07:41:36 PM »

I was abot 10 minutes from removing the form plate, then i did a quick google before hand and saw that THAT is what you needed to get re upholstered. So i left it..Just snatched the material off..

Suprizingly enough..the foam is in tact. I was even amazed by that.

this will be my first interior project, so it's got me a bit nervous to say the least...

The car hasn't been started in probably 9 months, so in that time i've managed to lose the majority of the transmission fluid into a catch and the spark plugs have gone awry! haha..

HOW awry you ask?

Well let's just say it had a nice diesel moment haha...

Anyone interested in the poor cell phone video it's here.

http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk141/driftster/?action=view&current=VID00002.flv

Anyway, the car is unflattering at the moment, but it'll be my weekend fun thing once more.

My plans for this, is ultimately have a car i can sit in and enjoy a sunday afternoon in.

I've considered all of the colors i could paint this thing, but really THIS color seems to look the best on it, which is odd, but whatever works I guess i'll have this color reshot.

The interior is going to get redone from floor to cieling, no more shag carpet no more TERRIBLE seat foam.

Some small sound system, the trunk is heavy so i'm not concerned with rattle, fix the front right airshock.
Engine wise, change the headgaskets, bring the heads in and get them milled flat just incase there is ANY warpage.

The faux rag top will get recovered aswell. That nick in the back was from the end result of a bar fight. Lol.

Remove the emblems before it gets reshot aswell...

I don't know what to do with that dashboard though, that's just WAAY too much fake wood for my taste

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 08:01:40 PM by Ty » Logged

VR6 Man
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 09:24:02 PM »

Awesome dude this is going to be a sweet project.

Looking at that dash, it looks like it has some leather on the top and around the knee bar or whatever. I'd just continue that and have everything that is currently wood, wrapped in leather. I'd also hit the steering wheel while your doing it.

And another suggestion if I may: If you lost the chrome trim that runs the length of the car, it might look real clean once its resprayed. Because that trim just looks huge for some reason. But thats just a thought.

Keep us updated, I'd eventually like to do some interior work on both my cars, but its something I really dont know anything about.

Dub World: For VW enthusiasts.
Ty

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 09:43:25 PM »

Here's some quick photoshopping..

where the ash trey is is where i'll put the head unit etc...

Therefore leaving that entire "stock radio" in place for stock looks...or availible space for extra's..I'm not sure which yet, depends on how much commitment to this vehicle i have.

as for the dash sections..What about some cross sectioning like the filled in areas..

and WTF am i going to do with that ugly ass glove box?

And this is the E&G grille (or atleast a knock off E&G) I'm going to put on the front end of the car

There is going to be plenty of chrome so as you said, those side strips can go bye bye without even missing it, it also might not look bad with a 2 tone paint job.

VR6 Man
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 11:28:27 PM »

A couple things.

There is a company that sells radios that look stock, but actually play MP3s, CDs and have iPOD hookups. I dont know if they would have one for your car, but its worth a look. Only think is, I cant remember the name of the company. I saw it at the end of a car show on SPEED. I think the show was Truck-U. If they dont have one, that ash tray looks like the perfect spot.

As for the glove box, I'd just leather wrap it and leave it. But it definitely needs something.

And if you go with the two tone, you could always have the transition spot of the two different colors follow the lines of the current body trim, that way is still has the lines of the trim, just without the trim.

Also, just that quick photoshop job you did really changed the look of the car for the better, so even if you just kept the car one color, I think it'd look sweet.

Dub World: For VW enthusiasts.
LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 12:46:42 AM »

First question is ... is that the caddy that has the 8-6-4 engine config? Im caddy ignorant, just wondering.

If it were me, I would leave as much of that wood trim in the car, I dunno, it just seems to fit the period caddy. Thats what it came with. Regardless, if you change it, im sure it will be tastefull. Also, again, I like the original exterior color, but thats me. I am sure you have it tricked out if you decide to change it.

Please do keep a photo journal of your work over the next few months and share them with us. I know I have bashed caddys (newer ones) but, Im old sk00l, and I have a soft spot for the older sevilles and eldo's.

Thanks Ty.

heretic
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 02:49:05 AM »

I was abot 10 minutes from removing the form plate, then i did a quick google before hand and saw that THAT is what you needed to get re upholstered. So i left it..Just snatched the material off..

that form had a foam backed material glued to it. the foam deteriorates, and the material becomes detached. You have to remove the form from the car, and use a wire brush to remove all the foam without tearing up the form. if you do not get it all off, the glue will only stick to it, and the material will detach in about a month. after all the foam is removed from the form, you paint it and the material to be used with rubber cement. when it dries enough to be really tacky, you lay the material on, working from the center out. the edges of the material are just clipped and wrapped around the form. Any automotive upholstery shop will sell you the material, but i find an unbacked carpet type works the best if you are going to have a stereo system. it works as a cheap soundproofing

LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 09:28:14 AM »

that form had a foam backed material glued to it. the foam deteriorates, and the material becomes detached. You have to remove the form from the car, and use a wire brush to remove all the foam without tearing up the form. if you do not get it all off, the glue will only stick to it, and the material will detach in about a month. after all the foam is removed from the form, you paint it and the material to be used with rubber cement. when it dries enough to be really tacky, you lay the material on, working from the center out. the edges of the material are just clipped and wrapped around the form. Any automotive upholstery shop will sell you the material, but i find an unbacked carpet type works the best if you are going to have a stereo system. it works as a cheap soundproofing

You know I remember seeing where the material you are speaking of being removed (along with a brush) by using a rental steamer. I used one to remove the cheezy purple tint that my BMW came with when I first aquired it. It worked like a charm. There is a really usful site that I will find today and add to this thread where there are a TON of hints. They are primarily directed towards BMWs but, many of the techniques can be used on all cars. I learned a bunch from reading through them. Make sure you have a look, it will be well worth your time.

heretic
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 11:23:29 AM »

I am not sure i would want to use steam/moisture this time of year......i do not like mildew. especially on a porus form

Polish Guy
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 10:36:33 PM »

Interesting.

LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 09:29:03 PM »

I am not sure i would want to use steam/moisture this time of year......i do not like mildew. especially on a porus form

You maybe right Lee. Im just thinkin' given Ty's location hot and dry ... it just may work. This is just speculation though and just some advice as to what I did with success.

JunkTrader
Master

Jake

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 04:33:13 PM »

awesome, I've always thought those cars were so ugly they were cool, you don't see any of them anymore. I know a guy who has a one-owner, with a diesel in it ,I'd love to get my hands on if he didn't want so much for it

bowtie
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: