theautolounge.net
January 16, 2018, 11:13:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Mikeys 2004 F150 FX4 *Updated*  (Read 10099 times)
Mikey

Shaaazoooo!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2014, 05:58:57 PM »

Had a third code pop up for the same sensor, its gotta be pooched. Wiring was all in good condition.

On another note, found my mileage was suffering a bit, figured it was just the bigger tires. Turns out it was my soft topper, thing burns an extra 3-4 MPG with it up. Luckily my truck isn't driven to often, other than fishing/paintball hauling loads ect.
Currently in the process of looking at newer mid to full size cars to replace the Cobalt.
Mikey

Shaaazoooo!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2014, 12:13:52 AM »

Did a bit of body work on it this summer. Rust spot under fuel door.

Wet sanded... Just needs a good buff this spring

Topper. Collapses into box for when its not needed.

Picked up a nice thick mat for the box. Is pretty friendly on the knees and the dogs are pretty content with it.

New struts

Pre install

Installed. Sorry. Dark pic!

Tire size comparison. Not my picture.

On the truck.. once again bad photo.

Reverse light. Has come in very handy.

Rip in topper. Will get repair image and link video that I used to fix. Apparently works on convertibles soft tops also

When I buried it.. it got a hell of alot deeper in a hurry! Took this when I walked ahead to see how deep the snow was heading onto the lake. Turned out I wasn't heavy enough to sink all the way. When the truck hit the same spot it was up to the doors/grill.

And of course the oil splattered aftermath. Even after dragging a 1 ton dually 150+ feet through a ton of snow I couldn't replicate the problem. Fingers crossed it was just and O ring!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 12:18:30 AM by Mikey » Logged
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2014, 11:41:48 PM »

I like that topper !  Never seen anything like that before.  It's a great idea.  Too much of that white crap for my taste .  .  .

Oznut

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2014, 01:55:16 AM »

The truck is looking sweet man but how's that snow!!!!!! Holy shit!

I love lamp.
Mikey

Shaaazoooo!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2014, 06:40:11 PM »

Have to admit its wearing a bit thin on me also. Shoveled my roof off. Was not that great of a time. Snow drift on driveway is nearly 4 feet tall.

New O2 sensor installed, new front impact installed, no more warning lights... How ever it seems the rear output shaft seal popped again and was replaced under warranty. They also remembered to grease the splines on the driveshaft this time also. Had a fair bit of driveline slack for a bit there. Also picked up a tube of the same grease that Ford uses if the problem reappears. Noticed motor oil and figured that the oil pan gasket was leaking again. Sadly its the rear main seal. Very popular one on these trucks. Goes in end of February for that one.

The issue of blowing the dipstick still lurking in my mind, I took the PCV line apart and got a good look at everything. Even went so far as to attach a hose onto the connection and blow into it, no air going in, sucked on it lightly, enjoyed the light smokey flavor of motor oil. Seems to functioning as it I think it would and checked the line going into the intake, once again no restrictions. Friend suggested I fire the truck up and see if any smoke/oil comes from oil fill tube, no smoke seen, also tried putting my hand on it and found it to really be doing nothing at this time. Will try it again after the truck is ran down the highway to see if I can find anything. Oil cap was clean (no milky oil) and coolant is clean. Mind will rest easy for now.
Cheers Guys,

« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 11:18:03 PM by Mikey » Logged
MayberrySS
Grand Master

RIP 98 Z28!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2014, 09:30:43 PM »

Ford trucks have always been good and reliable. not a fan of triton engines though. other then that they are killer. my dads 1990 ford ranger has 285k miles on it.... original 4.0L v6 and trans.

2001 Camaro SS H/C/I/E
Mikey

Shaaazoooo!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2014, 07:01:38 PM »

Shes been fairly trouble free. I have to remember it is ten years old. Some repairs are part of the game. Noticed a squeal from the rear axle yesterday, took my rear wheel/ caliper and rotor off to find that the emergency break pads have sort of exploded. Summer project, will likely replace all the parts and grease the crap out of the little spreader that attaches to the E-brake cable as the freaking thing seizes soild!
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2014, 11:26:15 PM »

Especially in your corner of the world where snow is plentiful.  All Fords with that similar design were bad about that, (I've had to use a hammer and pry bar on some older Explorers in the past) .  .  .

Lone Fox

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2014, 12:54:39 AM »

Ford trucks have always been good and reliable. ...

hmmmm
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2014, 07:56:29 PM »

Believe it or not, I'll agree with that statement.  Ford is like every other manufacturer.  They design for the 85th percentile, meaning their products have to do all things well for as many people as possible.  They've had their well publicized issues.  And they certainly do their share of stupid stuff.  But overall, they do hold up quite well.  The engines, transmissions, drivelines, and electrics are all good, (not perfect in some cases, but quite good).  Yes, you do see a lot of them in a Ford Service Department.  But when you sell more than 50,000 trucks each month,   this is to be expected.

I remember my Service Manager at Machens reminding us at many shop meetings that warranty claim trends had been decreasing at a rate of 5 - 10 percent each year.  I can also say that our fleet at UGA is full of F-Series trucks and E-Series vans that are over 15 years old, (including a few from the late 1980s).  And then we have this example .  .  .

« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 07:58:54 PM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Lone Fox

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2014, 11:45:13 PM »

I don't doubt that, just poking fun. After-all, I purchased a Chrysler, something that people with Honda fanboyasim syndrome are very scared of.
Mikey

Shaaazoooo!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2014, 12:07:29 AM »

So far its done well. Atleast to me. My friend has a Chevy that's only needed brakes the entire time he's owned it.
Gave big red some TLC yesterday, received a good buffing and cleaned the interior up also. Will need to get some conditioner to bring some parts back to life as they have faded a fair bit. Any recommendations?

[/URL
RatherBNarizona
Master

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2014, 05:14:36 PM »

What parts? The black parts? Like on the fenders?

Mac
Mikey

Shaaazoooo!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2014, 07:20:59 PM »

Door panels, box rails. Fender flares. Door panel is almost grey. Might be to late though.
RatherBNarizona
Master

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2014, 07:32:44 PM »

That is a big issue with Jeeps, especially the fender flares.

Two things:
1) Use a heat gun on it
2) Use black Krylon spray paint (I did this on my fenders, looked great and held up)

If you need advice, search Jeep forums, it is a common issue.

Mac
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: