theautolounge.net
February 25, 2018, 09:02:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: louie's 1995 Cadillac Seville SLS  (Read 2727 times)
Fox
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2009, 04:51:28 PM »

Nice! How does the Northstar feel?

The faded paint should be ok; a good quality orbital and polish will bring it back to new.
MontereyDave
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2009, 05:23:39 PM »

Beautiful Cadillac louie ... and that is an unbelievable deal  butt rock

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2009, 08:50:05 PM »

Those Sevilles are smooth, comfortable cars.  I worked with someone who had one and loved it.  Unless your Check Engine light is on and diagnostics tell you to do so, I wouldn't worry about changing the O2 sensors .  .  .

louie

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 11:52:03 PM »

Nice! How does the Northstar feel?

The faded paint should be ok; a good quality orbital and polish will bring it back to new.

It's so damn peppy, I love it. It's got plenty of power, a lot more than I was expecting. My SLS has the 275hp N* (VIN Y), while the STS has a 300hp N* (VIN 9), due to different intake camshafts. I really wonder what this car would feel like with 25 more horses.

The STS has a much cleaner look too. It gets rid of 90% of the chrome on the car, making everything pretty much monotone (color matched grill, side trim, etc.) and also has a slightly different front bumper with fog lights and a lower rear bumper. So much sportier looking, but ya know, I'll roll with what I got.  Grin

Thanks for the comments guys. I enjoy this car quite a bit, it just needs a bit of TLC. At 18, I really don't feel like paying immense amounts of $$$ for insurance on a sports car, and with the way Michigan winters are, I'd rather have something I know I can get out of the driveway every winter morning...   Smiley

Those Sevilles are smooth, comfortable cars.  I worked with someone who had one and loved it.  Unless your Check Engine light is on and diagnostics tell you to do so, I wouldn't worry about changing the O2 sensors .  .  .

Thanks for the advice, I don't think they need replacing anymore either. The car's mileage has seemed to balanced out. I was at about 12mpg when I got it, and now I'm at 15mpg. The window sticker (the original) says these cars average 16mpg city, 25mpg highway. So far I've done nothing but city driving.

I'm definitely flushing the coolant and replacing the hoses and thermostat before winter starts up. I'm not sure when it was changed last, and I would like superior corrosion protection.

My uncle has a '00 STS and his Northstar crapped out on him due to a headgasket problem, which is actually a part of a bigger problem. The Northstar motors are all-aluminum as you know, and the threads inside of the block where the cylinder head is bolted down get stripped after a while. The cylinder head actually lifts up.

A big reason for the smoothness of the driving is from the Speed Sensitive Steering (SSS). The steering on these cars at low speeds is BUTTER smooth for easier turning. At higher speeds (especially highway cruising speeds), the steering will stiffen up quite a bit. I hopped into my cousin's '98 Dodge Intrepid so I could move it out of his driveway, and I've already become so accustom to my sensitive steering, that his car felt as if it had no power steering. 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 12:01:45 AM by louie » Logged
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 09:26:28 AM »

The Northstar is a very reliable powerplant.  The only common issue appears to be oil leakage, which I'm told requires engine removal to properly fix.  I'm also told that starter replacement is about a 6 hour job .  .  .

louie

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2009, 10:20:15 PM »

The Northstar is a very reliable powerplant.  The only common issue appears to be oil leakage, which I'm told requires engine removal to properly fix.  I'm also told that starter replacement is about a 6 hour job .  .  .

I heard is wasn't that bad. The starter is located in the valley of the engine, below the intake manifold.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: