theautolounge.net
January 19, 2018, 09:35:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: FFD's Aquaterra Scimitar  (Read 9219 times)
Fuel Fire Desire
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2009, 09:09:07 PM »

I just picked this up a couple of weeks ago, and am very excited I finally have one.  Cheesy

I have wanted an ocean kayak for YEARS, but just couldnt front the $1200-$3000 for one with the options I wanted. After (literally) years of searching, I finally found one that all has the options I wanted, fits my 6'5" frame, and fits my budget. But more than just finding a kayak, I scored not one, but three hellacious deals on it. (craigs list rocks)  butt rock

Heres the boat. Its a late 90's Aquaterra Scimitar. The Scimitar is a 15.5' enclosed composite "touring" kayak. Its only considered a touring kayak because of its length (touring = 15.5', sea/ ocean = 17.5'), but it still has all the features of a sea kayak, such as a retractable rudder, watertight compartments, a fully enclosed cockpit, and a slim slender hull with raised bow (for cutting over large waves). It also has a 325 lb capacity, which means me + 75 lbs of gear. And with the size of the storage compartments, that means I can carry enough gear for a good 3-5 day excursion.

Aside from the usual scratches, all that was wrong with it was the rudder pedals were a bit short for my freakishly long legs. But it wasnt anything I couldnt fix. It is ridiculously fast on smooth glassy water for a paddle powered boat. It has to be the second fastest kayak Ive ever been in (I rent a lot). It is seconded only by the CD Solstice GTS, which I'll talk about in a minute.

The guy that sold it to me was AWESOME. I got to his house early, before he got home from work, and when I called him he told me I could go in his boathouse, get a paddle, and take it out on the water. He even helped strap it to my jeep, and gave me an extra strap to be sure it would stay on. He ended up selling it to me for $500. The Scimitar originally sold for $1200, and its current used value is in the $600-$700 range. That was my first good deal. The second was he GAVE me this when I said I didnt have a paddle!!!

Thats a Lendal Archipelago. The Archipelago it the creme de la creme of paddles, and are ordered in pieces and assembled to order. Mine is a straight shaft with offset trapezoidal blades. The shaft is 100% carbon fiber, and the blades are a fiberglass reinforced plastic. This paddle weighs almost nothing, is super strong, made in Scotland, and retails in the $230-$250 range. HE GAVE IT TO ME FOR FREE!!!  butt rock

The guy also had this for sale, a CD Solstice GTS as mentioned above. He wanted $700, and I was BUMMED I didnt have the cash because this thing is the ferrari of kayaks. 17.5' long, and 100% kevlar. Its a $3500 boat. When I told him I JUST looked at one in a store a few weeks earlier for $3500, he decided he didnt want to sell it anymore, lol.

But alas, even if I had the money, the GTS is just a tad too narrow in the hip section for me.

The third wicked awesome deal I got was on a skirt for it. A skirt seals your body to the cockpit, so even if you take a big wave or roll, water stays out of the boat and keeps you warm/ dry.

These usually retail in the $50-$100 range. I found one on the internet on clearance for 80% off, only $10!!!!! I ordered it in the hopes it would fit my boat (the website didnt give a size). And guess what....it fits the cockpit of my boat and my body like a damn glove, as if it were tailored to my application. Bad ass!!!

Where I live, I have miles of woodland beach along lake erie, miles of abandoned canals, and endless supplies of inland lakes and rivers. Ive had it in both inland, and off-shore waters. It has taken me to places I didnt even know existed in my town mere weeks ago. And Ive discovered that surfing 3 foot white caps in open water on lake erie is both the most fun and the scariest experience of my life.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 09:16:50 PM by Fuel Fire Desire » Logged

clutch
Forza Master
Administrator
Master

Captain Obvious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 11:01:17 PM »

Ocean Kayaks?

I never knew such things existed.

Cool buys. I've kayaked once before and it was awesome. I hope to do more of it in the future.

Fuel Fire Desire
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 11:18:51 PM »

Ocean Kayaks?

I never knew such things existed.

Cool buys. I've kayaked once before and it was awesome. I hope to do more of it in the future.

Theres 4 basic classes of kayaks, each with their own purpose.

Whitewater

Recreational  ("ocean kayak" on the side there is the brand, not the type)

Touring

Ocean

The longer it is, the more stable it is, and the more weight it can carry. But the longer you get, the more difficult it is to operate and turn.

Rather B.Blown
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 11:34:34 PM »

You do realize that this purchase necessitates a picture of your big ass in that little boat right? In the water would be preferable.

Fuel Fire Desire
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 02:02:41 PM »

You do realize that this purchase necessitates a picture of your big ass in that little boat right? In the water would be preferable.

lol, Ill see what I can do. I usually go out alone since the only other guy that I know who has one is a couple hours away from me. It rides low in the water (like its designed to). This is about where it sits while in glassy water.

In open water with white caps Ive had had the bow both completely out of the water back to the cockpit, and completely underwater while breaking deep over the top of a wave. Hence the need for a skirt.

Rather B.Blown
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 03:09:06 PM »

lol, Ill see what I can do. I usually go out alone since the only other guy that I know who has one is a couple hours away from me. It rides low in the water (like its designed to). This is about where it sits while in glassy water.

In open water with white caps Ive had had the bow both completely out of the water back to the cockpit, and completely underwater while breaking deep over the top of a wave. Hence the need for a skirt.

I'd never be able to use one of those. My knees and back are too fucked up from arthritis and old injuries to stay in one position for long, not to mention the confinement of it. I have to be where I can jump up and GTFO with a quickness if the notion strikes me.

Fuel Fire Desire
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 03:28:13 PM »

I'd never be able to use one of those. My knees and back are too fucked up from arthritis and old injuries to stay in one position for long, not to mention the confinement of it. I have to be where I can jump up and GTFO with a quickness if the notion strikes me.

Yeah, movement in this is limited to either having your feet on the pedals, or not having them on the pedals. On the rim of the cockpit there are molded swells that conform to your thighs. You can kind of see them in this pic, its the black bulges.

These lock your legs in place for both control over body roll, and so you dont fall out if you flip. You have to want to get out in order for you to do so. Which is why practicing rolls is so important. If you ever flip, you really dont want to eject, especially in cold water, because it usually means you cant get back in. So you have to learn how to roll yourself back over......before you drown.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7n8l9uFMYY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7n8l9uFMYY</a>

My kayak is the only one I know of that has a self rescue system on it. Behind the cockpit is a molded cradle where you can put your paddle in the event you need to get back in the boat while in deep water. The paddle acts like an outrigger, and prevents roll, making it easier to get back in.

Rather B.Blown
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 03:42:24 PM »

Yeah, movement in this is limited to either having your feet on the pedals, or not having them on the pedals. On the rim of the cockpit there are molded swells that conform to your thighs. You can kind of see them in this pic, its the black bulges.

These lock your legs in place for both control over body roll, and so you dont fall out if you flip. You have to want to get out in order for you to do so. Which is why practicing rolls is so important. If you ever flip, you really dont want to eject, especially in cold water, because it usually means you cant get back in. So you have to learn how to roll yourself back over......before you drown.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7n8l9uFMYY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7n8l9uFMYY</a>

My kayak is the only one I know of that has a self rescue system on it. Behind the cockpit is a molded cradle where you can put your paddle in the event you need to get back in the boat while in deep water. The paddle acts like an outrigger, and prevents roll, making it easier to get back in.

Yeaaahhhh.....uuummmmm HELL NO!!! Just reading your description makes me feel claustrophobic, be right back, I need to go outside for a minute.  

Fuel Fire Desire
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 07:54:10 PM »

lol. When youre inside it, everything below your waist has to move together. Its as if the kayak becomes your lower body.

The recreational kayaks are much more comfortable.

RatherBNarizona
Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 06:08:28 PM »

I love Kayaking, I wish they weren't so expensive
we took out a friends "recreational" one in Mexico in the ocean, lets just say it got real interesting riding the surf back to shore lol  Cheesy

Mac
Fuel Fire Desire
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 07:29:56 PM »

I love Kayaking, I wish they weren't so expensive
we took out a friends "recreational" one in Mexico in the ocean, lets just say it got real interesting riding the surf back to shore lol  Cheesy

Yeah, they really are stupid expensive. But most of them are pretty much hand made. Even the plastic ones require a lot of work setting and splitting the molds. IMO $1200 for the boat I have seems a bit much.....but that seems to be the lower end average in the class of boat I have.

Taking one of those open kayaks out for the first time, especially on the ocean, isnt a bad idea. The worst that can happen is you fall out. Not to mention theyre real easy to get back into. You definitely dont want to end up like that guy in the video while in breaking surf.

I just had it out again today and found this wicked awesome party beach thats only accessible by boat. There were fire pits every 50 feet, benches all over, some kind of elaborate multi level fort made out of drift wood, and liquor bottles EVERYWHERE. This went on for about 1/2 a mile. Ive heard of this place before, but have never actually been there before (no boat). Apparently its the big party area for all the lakeshore dwellers from toledo to detroit. Its very isolated, very quiet, and since that coastline is a heavily wooded one, there is an endless supply of driftwood for fires. When I came up on it there was a group of older teens (17-20) skinny dipping and jumping off a rope swing. The girls looked kinda drunk, lol. I ended up stopping for about an hour and having a few. The girls thought my boat was cool. Too bad their boyfriends were there. 

I did have a problem trying to leave though. Its kinda hard to shove off from a beach being pounded by waves while trying to cinch a spray skirt around your cockpit. I took a couple good waves that completely enveloped the boat before I could get the skirt on. I ended up paddling home with a wet butt, lol. It was too much for the chamois I keep behind my seat to handle.

Rather B.Blown
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 07:46:20 PM »

When I came up on it there was a group of older teens (17-20) skinny dipping and jumping off a rope swing. The girls looked kinda drunk, lol. I ended up stopping for about an hour and having a few. The girls thought my boat was cool. Too bad their boyfriends were there.  

So a grown man stopped and consumed some alcoholic beverages with some naked teenagers in the woods. What could possibly go wrong there.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 08:00:55 PM by Rather B.Blown » Logged

Fuel Fire Desire
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 08:17:57 PM »

When I came up on it there was a group of older teens (17-20) skinny dipping and jumping off a rope swing. The girls looked kinda drunk, lol. I ended up stopping for about an hour and having a few. The girls thought my boat was cool. Too bad their boyfriends were there.  

So a grown man stopped and consumed some alcoholic beverages with some naked teenagers in the woods. What could possibly go wrong there.

lol, asshole. 

A: They were clothed immediately after they saw me, B: I beached 500 feet away from them, around a seawall even, and they walked by to say hi. And C: I was in open water with 3' white caps for an hour and needed to stop and rest/ have lunch.

Oh....and their dad (or creepy uncle) was there with them too. They werent doing anything kinky, they were just enjoying an isolated deserted beach. Ive been guilty of it myself a few times....both with and without the GF. 

Rather B.Blown
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 08:22:45 PM »

Me too. I was nekkid in the ocean on more than one occasion last week.

Fuel Fire Desire
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 08:36:01 PM »

Heres a picture...

Ready?

Really ready?

Theres lots of bush in it though

Bushes actually...

And trees, lol. That canal is stupid deep, and isolated. It looks like it was used for some long abandoned industry in the area, as theres metal  and concrete structures that line it for about a mile. It goes nowhere now....just into the woods. Their boat was located where the cluster of boats are in the picture.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: