theautolounge.net
January 16, 2018, 11:09:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79
  Print  
Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 86740 times)
Maslpfan

get some!

View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: May 12, 2014, 10:45:28 PM »

Maslpfan, here's an interesting question  -  what coolant did your car originally come with, conventional green or DexCool ?  If you flushed your cooling system and discovered a gel-like substance, this could be a sign that those two coolants came into contact with one another. 

My instinct is that it came with conventional green, but I have no idea.  Conventional green coolant and DexCool ARE NOT compatible, and will form a thick gel when mixed.  Just a thought .  .  .

That is a really good question! i have no clue lol.I could look it up what came with my car from the factory and i know the put 50/50 prestone in it a few years ago.

2002 Chevy Silverado Z71
1987 Olds Cutlass Supreme
1989 Pontiac GTA WS6
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: May 26, 2014, 02:20:43 PM »

The Boxster has been the focus of a lot of activity recently.     

I had previously installed all new brake pads and rotors back in January.

My front rotors were under spec, and the rear brakes refused to do their job quietly.  I decided to go with ceramic pads and cross-drilled and slotted rotors at all 4 corners.

I'm very happy with the results, especially in the area of brake dust.  I haven't had to do any excessive wheel cleaning lately.  Plus, they just look good on this car.

A long overdue rear tire replacement and 4-wheel alignment was performed two weeks later, thus bringing an end to the annoying "hum" coming from the awful tire wear pattern.  And all was well until late March when the Boxster suffered a slight "oops" in the parking lot at work. 

I picked it up from the body shop on the 15th. 

Questions initially surfaced regarding how easy it would be to blend this particular color.  But they did a great job !

Yesterday's project involved changing the oil. 

I've said before that this car is very well designed.  Access to the oil drain plug and oil filter are quite easy.

The oil fill is located in the rear luggage compartment, (under the orange cap in the photo below).

I know the brakes and rear tires are new.  This means that my maintenance service was merely an oil and filter change, the hardest part of which was getting under the car.  One filter and 9.5 quarts of Mobil 1 later, I was back on the road again .  .  .

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: October 27, 2014, 12:18:15 AM »

I drove the Jag to Unicoi State Park in Helen, Georgia today.

The weather during this past week has been absolutely wonderful in northern Georgia, probably the longest stretch of sunshine and pleasant temperatures we've seen this year.  I love being able to take a top-down cruise in late October !

The goal for today was to explore an area I haven't visited previously and hopefully catch a glimpse of the fall colors.  But first .  .  .

Must eat !

The buffet at the lodge restaurant was simple, but very good.  I enjoyed a feast of perfectly cooked salmon and some great BBQ chicken. 

After dinner, I took a few pics of the 53 acre Lake Unicoi.

I have no idea when the fall foliage season begins in this part of the country.  But it appears to be happening now.

Across the lake from where I was standing above is the small beach area.

Featured here is an area that looks like it has been designed for a wedding.  There is also an event building that overlooks the beach that can be reserved. 

Great place .  .  .

Imran
So nice to meet you.
Global Moderator
Grand Master

So nice to meet you.

View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: November 03, 2014, 12:27:37 AM »

That's some nice looking country. Must be relaxing driving through those hills.
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: November 03, 2014, 12:39:24 PM »

It is.  The mountains in northern Georgia provide a great backdrop for an afternoon cruise.  It's a beautiful area especially during this time of year .  .  .

Axe
Master

View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: November 07, 2014, 03:09:51 PM »

Very beautiful Todd. Sounds like a nice trip.

Haven't done anything today so far but I recently replaced the front brake pads and rotors on the F-150. The truck has very high miles and the body is very rusty so it would make sense that the brakes would also. Everthing went very well except the spring steel clips were completely worn out and falling apart. I was home alone and didn't have anything else to drive so I used them but now have a new set that still needs installed. Pretty straight forward so it should be relatively easy.

I also gave the 'Burb a decent tune-up that included spark plugs, wires, cap, and rotor.

Runs much better now but still need to transfer the title to Indiana so I can drive it.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 03:12:11 PM by Axe » Logged
Axe
Master

View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: November 07, 2014, 03:21:52 PM »

The 'Burb has only been moved around on the farm occasionally for almost 2yrs so of course a small brake line split on the rear axle when I moved it. I replaced both rear wheel cylinders several years ago and putting a small amount of anti-seize on the threads, making sure to not get any on the flared fitting, made this replacement one of the easiest repairs I've ever done.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 03:24:10 PM by Axe » Logged
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: November 07, 2014, 11:22:45 PM »

Anti-seize is one of my favorite "tools" in my box.  And like you've found, the benefits of using it reveal themselves later on .  .  .

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: November 27, 2014, 10:29:34 PM »

Ordered front pads and rotors for the Jag.  I decided to go with the good stuff .  .  .

Click for more info !

Click for more info !

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: December 05, 2014, 12:17:00 AM »

The rotors have arrived .  .  .

They are EBC Sport Rotors, slotted and dimpled.

The EBC Redstuff pads will hopefully arrive Friday .  .  .

m610

View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: April 15, 2015, 06:24:05 PM »

I put the DCOEs back in. (They needed fix'n.)

Axe
Master

View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: May 29, 2015, 03:41:08 AM »

Had my son Nick stop by to remove the "oooga" horn and cd player from the Gran Marquee. Still has a decent running 5.0 but I need it gone before it starts collecting tickets. Calling recyclers to get the best price. I would sell it to someone to fix up and drive but it's titled in Randolph Co. IN and don't want to have to take someone over 100 miles to transfer it. I don't travel very well right now and with this being in black primer it won't bring enough cash to be worth it for me. Axe
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: May 29, 2015, 01:04:35 PM »

I don't know how this works anymore.  And I realize that each state has different rules and regulations.  But can't you go to your local notary and sign the title over to a new owner that way ?  Why am I thinking that all a purchaser needs is a notarized signature on the seller's title ?  Am I missing something .  .  .
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 01:06:51 PM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Axe
Master

View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: May 29, 2015, 05:02:05 PM »

Been a few years but the last time I bought a car out of state I had to get the title work done in the county it was licensed in, then bring that title back to my county in OH and transfer it again following a quick VIN inspection to confirm it was that vehicle. Went through the VIN inspection to transfer titles to IN over the past couple of years, the main reason most are still titled in OH. All my titles are in a plastic bin somewhere in the 10 room farmhouse in IN right now. We sent for lost titles for anything I transferred to IN just so I could renew the tags this year, and get rid of the Merc.

Everything seems much more difficult than it needs to be.  Axe
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: May 30, 2015, 12:50:52 AM »

Ok, I see what you're saying.  Anytime I've purchased a vehicle out of state, I took the paperwork to my local tag office to register.  But all work for the title was done in the state of purchase now that I think about it.  It certainly is confusing .  .  .

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79
  Print  

Jump to: