theautolounge.net
January 23, 2018, 06:19:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29
  Print  
Author Topic: VR6 Man's 1985 VW Cabriolet with a 2.0L 16v Turbo motor swap project  (Read 52869 times)
VR6 Man
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile WWW
« on: January 11, 2009, 03:52:07 PM »

Hello everyone.

This thread will continually be updated with the progress of my VW Cabriolet build. I am swapping in an ABA (2.0L from a 1994 Jetta) 16v motor with a Garrett T3/T4E 60-1 .63 AR (hotside) turbo. Until I rebuild the motor I will try and keep the power to around 300WHP. The block I am using was built stock from VW with forged rods and pistons, so it can handle the power. I've done all the work myself so far and right now all I am waiting on is money so that I can buy standalone engine management and then I will be ready to start her up for the first time.

Here is the story of how the car started out. A 1985 VW Cabriolet with a 1.7L (yes it was swapped in by the previous owner from the larger 1.8L - dont ask) with a 3- speed auto tranny. I bought the car for $600 and the guy who I bought it from said the tranny was shot. Knowing I was going to be swapping out the slushbox anyways I bought the car. After a quick examination, I realized the axles werent bolted to the tranny. After bolting them up, the tranny worked fine. So I basically bought a working car for $600.

This swap is a decently common one for VW enthusiasts so its nothing new. However, I am the only using a 60-1 T3/T4. Most use a 57 trim. So its a bigger turbo than most.

Here is a rundown of the specs:

- 2.0L (ABA) block, stock forged internals
- 16v head
- Garrett T3/T4 60-1 .63 AR turbo
- BBM "The Bomb" short runner intake manifold
- BBM 16v exhaust manifold
- BBM 2.5" downpipe
- TiAL 38mm wastegate
- TiAL Q (50.5mm) blow-off valve
- Precision intercooler (Garrett core) 350hp rated
- Bosch 2x2 coilpack
- Siemens 630cc injectors
- Lugtronic standalone
- Custom intercooler piping
- VR6 Throttlebody and TPS
- BoostValve manual boost controller
-Non-ps steering rack
- Badgeless front grill

I also swapped a 5 spd tranny into the car that might explode after 5 seconds of driving. Then I will go to different style transmission that will hold the power.

Other than that, besides some new lighter control arms with poly bushings the car is stock. I accidently ripped out the aftermarket head unit, so I cant even say thats in there anymore. I also pushed in the front bumper and added a Europlate.

On to the pictures:

Here she is before I had really done anything.

Stock motor inside still at this point:

With the Europlate:

And here is how the engine bay looks now:

Overall, the car needs some body work but is solid. I've temporarily fixed a few rust spots and with the help of my new welder I should be able to get the body looking great.

Future plans include finishing body work, full respray, new suspension (I need to go looower), new wheels, probably a different trans, and a full rebuild on the motor.

I really need wider wheels though, so I will probably get some Diamond Racing wheels and try to squeeze 13x9s on the car. 13x8s at the least.

To get this car running I still need the ignition parts (coil, computer, wires, etc) but I know what I am getting I just need the money to buy it. I alos need to hook up coolant lines and get a new clutch. Other than that the car is ready to roll.

I will try to update this thread and keep everyone informed of the progress. Thanks guys, I hope you enjoy.

And if you would like to see a full build thread from the day I bought the car up until now, go here: http://vwworld.forumup.org/viewtopic.php?t=2740&mforum=vwworld the build doesnt really start until page 9.

Thanks guys, enjoy.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 07:18:15 PM by VR6 Man » Logged

Dub World: For VW enthusiasts.
Polish Guy
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 05:17:10 PM »

:drooooool

I love the MK1 Cabbys! butt rock

spowrd

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 08:32:29 PM »

Are you using a G60 trans?

01.5 Audi S4 2.7TT 6MT
98 VW Jetta GLX VR6 5MT
84 VW Jetta GLi
09 VW Jetta S
67 VW Karmann Ghia
94 Jeep Grand Cherokee
84 Mazda RX-7 12A 5MT
00 Audi S4 6MT <<<<<<<<< For SALE!!!
LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 12:09:07 AM »

Tyler has done some amazing work with this car. I have been following his progress over on SCF for some time know. I'll post the link here to the website where he has documunted the work. This guy deffinitely has some skillz.

Check here for details.:

http://sportscarforums.com/f13/project-car-thread-25021.html

Read through this if you have some time, its well worth it.

VR6 Man
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 01:29:52 AM »

Thanks guys.

Are you using a G60 trans?

No but I should be. Its an 020 Sad. Once this 020 blows I'll get an 02a, switch it to cable clutch and be done with it.

VR6 Man
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 09:47:35 PM »

Update:

I took this:

And drilled this:

And then took this:

And this:

And this:

To get this:

I welded the flange for the blow-off valve on, in case the pictures didnt make it clear enough. Thats my new welder by the way. Works great.

Bought vacuum line stuff today so I should be just about ready to run those lines.

Polish Guy
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 09:59:45 PM »

Nice fab work!

VR6 Man
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 10:04:44 PM »

Nice fab work!

Thanks. I'm not a perfect welder yet, but my dad was a welder by trade for six years back in the '80s, so he always has plenty of advice to give me.

I need to get good at it though, I'm going to be shaving some body stuff later in the winter on both my cars.

spowrd

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 06:57:12 PM »

Those are some perty good welds there. I suck at wire feed welding. Nice to see someones project is moving along.

01.5 Audi S4 2.7TT 6MT
98 VW Jetta GLX VR6 5MT
84 VW Jetta GLi
09 VW Jetta S
67 VW Karmann Ghia
94 Jeep Grand Cherokee
84 Mazda RX-7 12A 5MT
00 Audi S4 6MT <<<<<<<<< For SALE!!!
VR6 Man
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 01:57:35 PM »

Those are some perty good welds there. I suck at wire feed welding. Nice to see someones project is moving along.

Thanks man. MIG welding is easy once you get the hang of it. I'd say its easier than stick welding. I learned stick welding first and its just no nearly as easy. You need more finesse and skill.

VR6 Man
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 10:10:32 PM »

Update:

Today I decided to start shaving and repairing the fenders on the Cabby. First off, it was quite difficult to get the fender off (I've only removed one so far). After all the bolts were out it took me a half hour to get the fender to come off because of all the seam sealer that made it stick.

Here is what it looked like once off. There are a few rust spots that need to be addressed. If I end up screwing it up or anything I can always get a brand new one so, not a big deal.

Here are all the spots that need fixed because of rust. Notice the last one is rust coming through the bondo job I attempted. Terrible idea, but it might have slowed the rust down a little:

These two holes need to be shaved/filled:

Antenna hole:

and Side marker. This is the hole/holes I decided to try my hand at first. Mind you, I have never tried to shave/ fill a hole on a body part before.

The blank canvas:

Didnt feel like grabbing the grinder with the wire wheel on it so I jsut sanded the area down:

Two screw holes filled:

I cut a piece of sheetmetal and then rounded it with a bench grinder. Then I used a magnet to hold the piece of metal flush with the rest of the fender so I could weld it without holding it:

Welded in place:

Ground down the area. Its not super smooth yet, and I think I need a better grinder wheel to get it perfect:

Anyways, there it is. I did mess up a little bit though. I went too fast welding the piece in and caused the fender to shrink and cause a small dent to form. I think I can fix it though by stretching the metal back out by hitting it with a hammer on the concrete.

There we have it. Hopefully tomorrow I can start attacking those rust areas and see if I can fix them.

LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 12:12:03 PM »

Thanks for the update Tyler. This is better than watching my favorite shows on the tube.  butt rock

VR6 Man
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 01:26:39 PM »

Thanks for the update Tyler. This is better than watching my favorite shows on the tube.  butt rock

Thanks dude. Too bad this moves at a slower rate.

VR6 Man
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 07:37:52 PM »

A little update.

I did some more shaving. This time I shaved/filled the antenna hole. I also got the dent out of the other part of the fender where the heat from welding shrunk the metal. But then that basically destroyed my fill job, so I need a cut off wheel for my grinder and then I can cut out that spot and re-do the first fill.

Anyways, pictures of the antenna hole filled.

Remember, when doing this you do have to use a small amount of filler once your finished to get the metal smooth and at the perfect height again. But you cannot fill a hole that big with filler, so first you weld in metal like I have been doing.

VR6 Man
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 11:17:58 AM »

Standalone ECU and wire harness ordered. Should be done in a couple weeks. Also, my friend ran to the junkyard the other day to look for Jeep parts. He spotted a pair of Cabbys with no rust front fenders. I think I'll be running to the junkyard in as soon as I can. 

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29
  Print  

Jump to: