theautolounge.net
February 25, 2018, 09:19:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: AmericanThunder68's 530hp 1977 Mustang II  (Read 2717 times)
AmericanThunder68

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2009, 09:18:32 PM »

I've had this car since 1989, and it's a never ending project. I completely ripped it apart down to every last nut and bolt back in 1991 and restored it. It's held up pretty well over the years, but it's in need of another full resto, due to some developing rust in certain areas. I've built and installed four motors for it over the years, each more powerful than the last.

This is the current engine, built in 2000. The block is a 1972 302, everything else I hand picked from aftermarket parts.
It was bored .030", and I went through and enlarged and smoothed all the oil returns to get oil flowing back to the pan as quickly as possible. The crankshaft is 4340 billet forged steel with a 3.25" stroke. Rods are Eagle 5.5" H-beams with full floating pins, pistons are flattop JE forged ultralights. Camshaft is a solid lifter Wolverine/Blue Racer with 260 deg. duration @.050" and .645" lift. Heads are machined TFS track-heat Twisted Wedge, with canted stainless valves and cut for o-ring gaskets. Intake is a "Tweaked" Victor Jr, Carburetor is a 750cfm(It flows 780) Race Demon that I up-jetted 3 sizes in both blocks. Ignition box and distributor are MSD.
The motor will rev to 8500 rpm, and peaks at 530 hp.

The transmission is a fully race-prepped C4 built by Dynamic in connecticut, valve body is reverse manual shift, Vasco alloy input shaft, solid front drum, all bushings were replaced with needle bearings throughout. Dynamic also built the custom torque converter for the car, with a stall speed of 5200 rpm.
I swapped a 9" rear housing from a 1959 Thunderbird into the car, with a detroit locker carrier and 3.10 gears. Front brake rotors are a special 5-lug conversion, so they match the rear pattern. Wheels are off a Cobra R, with 275/40ZR17s in the back and 245/45ZR17s up front. The Mustang weighs 2450 lbs without me in it. Launching at half throttle on the radials, it can reach 90 mph in a little over 6 seconds on a good traction day.

Some videos:

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/americanthunder68/?action=view&current=7c6804b3.flv
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PEdaBFN0Hk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXalyuQsbXw
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/BURNOUT-1977-Mustang-II_11661.htm
Older video, with the previous wheels, tires and hood on the car. And lots of tire smoke. I like tire smoke.

And yes, I was a professional mechanic and engine builder at one time, but I've since retired from that line of work. I even rebuilt and tuned Holley carbs on a regular basis for several years, but obviously, there's not too much demand for such things these days.

Relics from my past! Smiley

The End.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 09:22:22 PM by AmericanThunder68 » Logged

MP3
Administrator
Grand Master

Bater

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 09:50:41 PM »

You know, I actually saw one of these for the first time in person the other day and pictures really dont do it justice to just how SMALL these things are. Cram a big motor in there and...

Excellent ride AT68  butt rock

AmericanThunder68

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 09:59:54 PM »

Thanks!

It's true, these are the smallest Mustang ever built. In fact, they're the lightest Ford car with a V8 option other than an AC Cobra. (and I couldn't afford an AC)
I wanted the lightest car I could find, and these were EVERYWHERE back then, cheap and easy to find parts for. I used to see dozens of them on the road, now they're so rare, I'm lucky if I see one every couple years.
According to the Mustang II registry, there are roughly 12,000 Mustang IIs.

03_TrueBlue_GT
Grand Master

Doug

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 10:17:28 PM »

I like it a lot! I havent paid much attention to this body style but with those rims and that color that car looks tight, I can def see how the 79-93 stangs got their rearend! Grin

Btw didnt the mustang come only with a v6 and no v8 option one year? Huh?

MP3
Administrator
Grand Master

Bater

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 10:21:54 PM »

Youve done well with yours, and i always liked it even from my SF days but never had known what they really were like till i saw one.

Top notch stuff. And i like how it's a never ending project because thats the most perfect excuse to keep modifying and tinkering.. Cheesy

MontereyDave
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 10:38:19 PM »

Awesome Mustang II  butt rock   

LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 11:34:58 PM »

Oh My GOd.

A restored mustang II. That is so very cool to see what was Ford's pariha now looking like the "go fast" that it should be.

Me <-- bigtime jealous.

RatherBNarizona
Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 12:06:34 AM »

love it AT!

Mac
battusai

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 02:01:16 AM »

Nice build! Just wish there was a video of it on the track

And if it's not too intrusive, what do you do now, as a profession?
SpiderX1016
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 03:40:33 AM »

Your car has been the reason I've liked the Mustang 2.

That and you NEVER see them around here. Would love to have one but I just don't see me in one.

"Under the sky, under the heavens there is but one family. It just so happens that people are different." - Bruce Lee
AmericanThunder68

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 06:26:10 AM »

Nice build! Just wish there was a video of it on the track

And if it's not too intrusive, what do you do now, as a profession?

Truck driver. It's much easier on my back.

AmericanThunder68

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 06:30:18 AM »

I like it a lot! I havent paid much attention to this body style but with those rims and that color that car looks tight, I can def see how the 79-93 stangs got their rearend! Grin

Btw didnt the mustang come only with a v6 and no v8 option one year? Huh?

1974, the first year of the II body style, only offered the 2.3L 4cyl and 2.8L V6, because of the fuel problems America was having. But Mustang enthusiasts complained so much to Ford that they decided to figure out a way to wedge a 302 into it for 1975-1978 models. The car is so small, it has its own specific V8 transmission bellhousing, flexplate and oil pan.

VR6 Man
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 05:27:50 PM »

Very nice car. Sounds like you know how to build a very nice engine as well.

I didnt see it, so I will ask. Have you ever taken it to the strip? And if so, what is your best time?

I didnt watch the videos, so if the answer is in there, sorry.

Dub World: For VW enthusiasts.
AmericanThunder68

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 07:15:14 PM »

Very nice car. Sounds like you know how to build a very nice engine as well.

I didnt see it, so I will ask. Have you ever taken it to the strip? And if so, what is your best time?

I didnt watch the videos, so if the answer is in there, sorry.

You know, I've been meaning to take it to the strip for about 20 years, but I'm a procrastinator. It goes pretty quick in a measured 1320 foot test area, so I'd imagine it could pull off a mid 11 second run on the radials, but never officially clocked it for proof. It's really not a drag car, its latest modifications were sort of modeled after the NASCAR vehicles, just on a much lighter platform. But at the core, it's "just a street car". Cheesy The thing handles very well. But the nose feels insanely heavy with no power assist and all that motor up there. The car is most at home on long open stretches of smooth highway with the 3.10 gearing. I wish we had an autobahn over here, I'd love to see if it would go 200. I know it goes 165. heh

AmericanThunder68

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 09:38:58 PM »

Oh My GOd.

A restored mustang II. That is so very cool to see what was Ford's pariha now looking like the "go fast" that it should be.

Me <-- bigtime jealous.

I affectionately refer to them as the "Rodney Dangerfield Mustangs".
If you feed them enough steroids, they will get a little respect, though

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: