theautolounge.net
January 16, 2018, 11:09:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116
  Print  
Author Topic: PIX!! you wont believe the exotic/nice cars I saw today!!  (Read 222425 times)
Axe
Master

View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: June 20, 2014, 07:53:53 PM »

That was a cool showing Dave. I don't know anything about the Siata but I love it.

On a side note, a friend of mine owned the Vector Aeromotive Company for a while. I saw a couple of them here in town and didn't know what they were. The company had already changed hands again by the time I knew it was Dave in them. I believed him and had other proof that his story checked out, but still searched quite a while before finding it in print. Somewhere in their history it says the company was owned for a short while by a private car builder in Ohio. 
MontereyDave
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: August 02, 2014, 09:05:52 PM »

That was a cool showing Dave. I don't know anything about the Siata but I love it.

On a side note, a friend of mine owned the Vector Aeromotive Company for a while. I saw a couple of them here in town and didn't know what they were. The company had already changed hands again by the time I knew it was Dave in them. I believed him and had other proof that his story checked out, but still searched quite a while before finding it in print. Somewhere in their history it says the company was owned for a short while by a private car builder in Ohio. 

I really enjoyed a PM exchange with Axe about Vector ownership that he mentioned above.

Today I went and checked out an auction in Burbank:

'57 Karmann Ghia

$1M 300SL

F40 originally owned by Rod Stewart

'67 XJ13 Recreation

LM002 originally owned by Bobby Unser

This is THE '49 Buick Roadmaster Tom Cruise drove in Rainman, along with an authentic $1M '67 427 Cobra

The diesel Porsche made prior to the Cayenne

1 of 50 1953 Muntz Jet powered by Cadillac V8

One of my top 10 faves - BB512

Another - Kirkham Cobra in polished aluminum

Cool to see a '54 in Pennant Blue instead of the typical white

Yet another - '67 600

High on the list of my top 10 all time faves - '69 427/390

Isn't this identical to the one Paul Walker died in?

76 F100 that won the 77 Baja

Haha!  A well-preserved '69 Mini-Winnie!

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: August 04, 2014, 12:01:17 AM »

Great pics Dave !

'57 Karmann Ghia

Wow, that is beautifully restored !  That's an unusual color for those cars. 

$1M 300SL

A non-Gullwing selling for $1 million ?  I wonder what the story is behind the car.

'67 XJ13 Recreation

I'm not familiar with this car and had to look it up.  The original appears to be a one-off race car.  Having 445 hp in a 2,200 pound car would be quite a ride.

LM002 originally owned by Bobby Unser

I think I've only ever seen one of these cars before at a car show in Pittsburgh.  There are very few of them around.

This is THE '49 Buick Roadmaster Tom Cruise drove in Rainman, along with an authentic $1M '67 427 Cobra

I can see the authentic CSX3000 series Cobra bringing 7 figures, depending on documentation. 

The diesel Porsche made prior to the Cayenne

That's great !  I also seem to remember reading where Ferruccio Lamborghini did the same thing, (making agricultural equipment before sports cars).  And I'm really liking the 1966 Cadillac in the background. 

1 of 50 1953 Muntz Jet powered by Cadillac V8

The Muntz Jet actually began life in 1948 as the Kurtis Sport, a product of race car builder Frank Kurtis whose products were very well known in the world of dirt track midget racing.  The Sport was a 2-seat unit body convertible made of aluminum styled like the car you saw on display.  There was no specific powertrain for the car.  Kurtis would put whatever the customer wanted under the hood.  I'm reading where most examples were powered by either a supercharged Studebaker 6-cylinder or a Ford flathead V-8.  According to my Complete Book of Collectible Cars, very few Kurtis cars were built, (estimates between 20 - 34 from 1948-49), before Kurtis was sold to Earl "Madman" Muntz. 

Under Muntz's control, the direction of the car shifted from "sport" more toward "touring."  The overall styling remained the same.  But Muntz made a bunch of changes and refinements which added size and weight.  Cadillac's 331 CID V-8 now supplied the power.  After producing 28 cars, production was moved from California to Illinois.  The aluminum body was ditched in favor of a conventional and more durable steel body and the engine was changed to Lincoln's 337 CID V-8.  Total Muntz Jet production is estimated to have numbered 394 cars before the money-losing adventure was abandoned.

So, if the car you saw had a Cadillac engine, it would be one of the first 28 cars built.  It probably had an aluminum body as well. 

Cool to see a '54 in Pennant Blue instead of the typical white

The 'Vette is nice.  But I'm really liking the gorgeous 1953 Buick Skylark behind it !

76 F100 that won the 77 Baja

I like the Pontiac convertible next to it !

Haha!  A well-preserved '69 Mini-Winnie!

Ever since the video went viral a few years ago, I can hear the term "Mini-Winnie" without thinking of Jack Rebney .  .  .

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSWUWPx2VeQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSWUWPx2VeQ</a>
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 12:04:40 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

MontereyDave
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: August 04, 2014, 10:54:27 AM »

"The Minnie-Winnie, on the cutting edge of Class C motorhomes, do you believe any of that S#!T."  Dang, that guy had tourettes syndrome even before it was ever diagnosed.

Here's a link to details on all of the cars at that auction, but they still haven't posted the results.  People there were complaining that a lot of the cars weren't selling and that they had a poor turnout.  That doesn't bode well for all of the auctions in Monterey in two weeks.  http://auctionsamerica.com/events/all-lots.cfm?SaleCode=CA14

RatherBNarizona
Master

View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: August 08, 2014, 04:09:06 PM »

I think this is where I left off...
All still from my Monterey trip, where I hung out with the awesome Dave  Cheesy
High Res. shots are available too.

Would you race a car worth $35 million? HELL YEAH.

Mac
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: August 10, 2014, 11:43:08 PM »

Love your pics Ryan !  Good clarity and color .  .  .

It may not be the fastest car on the track.  But this is where the British sports cars shine.  That would be an awesome ride .  .  .

Mmmmmm.  Really want.  Why does it have to be black .  .  .   

I see prancing horses on the steering wheel and on the body.  So I'm guessing this is a 7-figure Ferrari race car with lots of documentation.  I'd love to take a ride.

Would you race a car worth $35 million? HELL YEAH.

I probably would do the same.  That's what it was built for.

The car is great.  But I want to know how this person gets his/her rose bushes to look so nice.  The leaves fall off of mine.

Now that's a rarity.  Wikipedia says 351 were built, my Complete Book of Collectible Cars says total production was 337.  I'd love to have one of the two convertibles built for the James Bond film "You Only Live Twice."  

The 700 hp Quad Rotor Wankel is a work of art.

(From CarGuyDad.com, click for the story !)

This post from an ign.com forum thread gives some of the engine specs.  According to the post, the engine is capable of 10,500 rpm.  Although in Le Mans trim, the redline was around 9,000 rpm.  The noises produced at that speed are just amazing !

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81zhOQ5PvaE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81zhOQ5PvaE</a>

Axe
Master

View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: August 11, 2014, 01:31:40 AM »

Great pics Ryan. Glad you had a chance to hang out with Dave. Keep-em coming if you have any more.

The "Mini-Winnie" video was hilarious. I worked with. a Captain similar to that for a few years. I got a kick out of him most of the time.

Any idea how fast the Mazda was moving? That would be the ride of a lifetime.
MontereyDave
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: August 11, 2014, 04:11:46 PM »

Great pics Ryan!  Do you have any plans to visit Monterey during car week this year/this week.  I don't think I'll make it; too caught up in my dang MBA coursework.  If I do go it'll be for just 1 or 2 days.

RatherBNarizona
Master

View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: August 11, 2014, 04:52:54 PM »

Thanks guys.

Axe, I will post up more as I upload them.

Dave, no, I won't be attending this year. Too much going on for me right now.

Mac
MontereyDave
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: October 13, 2014, 03:54:28 PM »

Yesterday I went to the 60th anniversary of Ferrari gathering on Rodeo Dr:

NART Spyder like the red one that broke records selling for $27.5M in Monterey, which happened to be from near my hometown of Greenville, NC!

My favorite, the P4!

The Daytona Brock Yates and Dan Gurney drove in the first Gumball Rally!

This is THE Testarossa that Don Johnson drove in Miami Vice!

Looks like it hit a deer at > 150 MPH!

Prius, Tesla and Fisker in one pic

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: October 14, 2014, 12:51:17 AM »

Great pics Dave !  That looked like an expensive event. 

In the modern market, customers wanting a new 456GT, 348, 360, etc., could go to any Ferrari dealer and get, essentially, the same car.  But not so in the old days.  From what I read, a lot of the earlier Ferraris were built with special bodies on a common chassis in extremely limited numbers, (as in single-digit production).  That's why you see what appears to be a huge amount different Ferrari models from the same era.  I don't know what this is.  But it reminds me of that philosophy - a special body that is sitting on a typical chassis from the era.  Whatever it is, it's beautiful !

Ditto this one.  If I had to guess based on the front end, I'd call it a 340/342 America, which would place it from the early 1950s.  This design is simply stunning, especially considering the 1950s was the height of the "Fins & Chrome" era in the US.  The lines on this car are wonderfully simple .  .  .

My favorite, the P4!

Am I reading this right ?  Ferrari only made 3 of these ? 

One of my favorites !  The 550/575 cars are just beautiful !

Prius, Tesla and Fisker in one pic

Uhm .  .  .  There's something about that profile that looks "off."  I hope it looks better from the front than it does from the side .  .  .

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: October 25, 2014, 09:14:08 PM »

I was out looking at cars today and spotted a couple of nice things.

This 2013 Lamborghini Gallardo is just a tad over the budget at $175,900.  But it sure was nice !

And now for the complete opposite end of the spectrum, I found this beautiful 1969 Lincoln Continental.

I don't know how much it is.  The information on the window said "Make Offer."  Those of you who know me can understand why I was drooling over this car .  .  .

MontereyDave
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: October 26, 2014, 12:33:05 AM »

Am I reading this right ?  Ferrari only made 3 of these ?  

Gorgeous Gallardo Spyder, Todd!

Wow, 1 of 3!  That P4 reminded me of this 206SP that I saw auctioned in Monterey back in 2005.  This is the most spectacular car I have ever seen in person.  Bidding reached $2,000,000 but that was still below the reserve so it didn't sell.  It was reportedly 1 of 18.

http://partywave.deviantart.com/art/Ferrari-Dino-206SP-28277284

MontereyDave
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: April 11, 2015, 11:32:20 AM »

Sorry 'bout the long hiatus.  I hope everyone is doing well.

And the Viper is a Hennessy!

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: April 11, 2015, 10:16:47 PM »

Welcome back Dave !  Hope all is well in your corner of the world .  .  .

Sorry 'bout the long hiatus.  I hope everyone is doing well.

And the Viper is a Hennessy!

I've taken a liking to the Viper recently.  Wish I could afford one !  I also like the Cadillac XLR in the background.

Normally, I would assume that this is a replica.  But in your part of the world, chances are pretty strong that this is the real thing.  Do you know the story ?

Is this a chrome plated car ?  How in the world do you drive that thing on a sunny day without blinding everyone within a 100 yard radius ?

Mmmmmm .  .  .  I've also been on an Aston Martin kick lately.  Love them .  .  .

I believe this is where the Equus Bass 770 gets its motivation. 

Click for the photo gallery !

The Bass 770 is my absolute favorite late model car .  .  .

It's something about 725 hp that makes me smile.  What's the window sticker on something like this ?

Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116
  Print  

Jump to: