theautolounge.net
January 21, 2018, 02:16:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any aircraft guys here?  (Read 4999 times)
Jerrycobra

A&P mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2009, 08:54:03 PM »

lol, get some 2x4's are start carvin!

Fuel Fire Desire
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2009, 08:55:03 PM »

Ruh-roh!

Its not one of those vintage planes where a replacement prop is made of unobtainium, and costs 35 arms and 16 legs?

Otherwise, a picture would be of interest!

No picture. Its just an average fixed pitch aluminum hartzel with a big nick in it that decided to turn into a crack. The whole prop would probably cost $12-$15,000 to replace, but it just needs a blending. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I, myself, know how to blend a prop, and have done it myself on some junk ones for practice, but you need a special rating to work on propellers that I dont have (Im just an airframe and powerplant mech). So a prop guy is just gonna have to come out and spend a few minutes filing it down.

clutch
Forza Master
Administrator
Master

Captain Obvious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2009, 09:01:01 PM »

That would actually be quite an interesting thread to put on here. It may not be automotive related, but would be cool to see how the process works. If not, then no big. But good to hear you don't need a replacement. Good thing you caught it early on.

(Then again, it is expected. Walkarounds mean life or death!)

Fuel Fire Desire
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2009, 09:21:37 PM »

That would actually be quite an interesting thread to put on here. It may not be automotive related, but would be cool to see how the process works. If not, then no big. But good to hear you don't need a replacement. Good thing you caught it early on.

(Then again, it is expected. Walkarounds mean life or death!)

Blending itself is easy. Following the rules is whats hard.

Not considering the rules, blending is simply this: Taking a file and removing material back far enough to where there is no damage, and then smoothing and reshaping (blending) the work area to match the surrounding leading edge.

Firebird400

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2009, 03:38:13 PM »

My dad actually just flew from home in NJ up to my school in VT for a visit. Pretty cool that he can do that, driving is like 6.5 hours but flying is only 1 hour. Makes home seem much closer! He has a Baron 56 TC twin engine plane. Fast plane too, can cruise at about 250 knots.

One day I'll probably go for my pilots license, definitely cool stuff.

When you can leave two black strips from the apex to the next corner's braking zone, you have enough power ~ Mark Donohue
Jerrycobra

A&P mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2009, 05:45:28 PM »

i am planning on going to A&P school after HS in parallel with community

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: