theautolounge.net
February 25, 2018, 09:06:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: JunkTrader's '99 Chevy Silverado Z71  (Read 6283 times)
JunkTrader
Master

Jake

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2009, 04:02:27 PM »

I've had this truck about a year and a half, its a '99 Z71, 5.3, Automatic, fully loaded, it has well over 200,000 miles now, I can't remeber the exact milage for sure. Its on its second trans and second transfer case, and the trans needs replaced again, its been down for a while, but I'll eventually fix it, I'm not letting it get pushed to the back burner again.

new tires, 305/70/16 Maxxis buckshot mudders, these are the most recent pics I have right now

bowtie
Rather B.Blown
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 04:05:32 PM »

I think you've had this one longer than any of the other 50 you've owned except for the IHC haven't you?

JunkTrader
Master

Jake

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 04:11:29 PM »

I think you've had this one longer than any of the other 50 you've owned except for the IHC haven't you?

yep, but truth be told the international would have been gone quicker if I were old enough to sell it or swap it at the time

bowtie
Maslpfan

get some!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 05:35:56 PM »

yeah youve had this one for a while, you keepin it for a daily?

2002 Chevy Silverado Z71
1987 Olds Cutlass Supreme
1989 Pontiac GTA WS6
JunkTrader
Master

Jake

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 06:57:23 PM »

it will be once its fixed, the black one is my daily driver at the moment

bowtie
Maslpfan

get some!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 06:19:06 AM »

it will be once its fixed, the black one is my daily driver at the moment

and thats a sweet one at that

2002 Chevy Silverado Z71
1987 Olds Cutlass Supreme
1989 Pontiac GTA WS6
LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 12:33:01 PM »

Im likin' the addition of some off road vehicles here. Its about time.  butt rock

JunkTrader
Master

Jake

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 02:54:18 PM »

I picked up a transmission for it yesterday, the truck is at the shop and it should be ready in a couple days.

I tried out a trick I was told, before the truck was driven to the shop I dumped some brake fluid in the trans. after a couple miles it had every gear and shifted perfectly  Grin I almost decided to keep it and drive it, but there was no telling how long it would last
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 12:33:46 PM by JunkTrader » Logged

bowtie
JunkTrader
Master

Jake

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 12:38:18 PM »

the truck should finally be done today or tomorrow if all goes well, I had trouble with the first shop, they tried to raise the price $50 after I dropped it off, so i took it to a different shop, didn't come off much better, but its the principal of the matter

bowtie
JunkTrader
Master

Jake

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 09:05:02 PM »

I got it back yesterday, drove it around a little,everything was fine, drove it to work and back today ,  went back out to town to wash it, got the "trans. fluid hot" warning message, let it cool and it was fine again, it sit for about 2 hours while I was in a meeting for work, came back and 3rd and 4th were gone.......again

bowtie
Rather B.Blown
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 12:08:56 AM »

As I've told you before, should have bought a Ford.

J/K. sorry you are having such shitty luck with the trans.

heretic
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 02:43:59 AM »

As I've told you before, should have bought a Ford.

J/K. sorry you are having such shitty luck with the trans.

yeah, ford trannys are not problematic.....Oh wait, the tranny in my last powerstroke did not last a month. ford did stand by it, but it is irritating in a brand new pickup. ...
and ford engines are great..IF they do not shoot spark plugs out the top of the engine

I have to say though. My dad drives a new heavy duty silverado. If I had to take a trailer across country, I would want his. If I have to go off road, or use a pickup for heavy hauling, I want me ford super duty

I don't have an attitude problem... You have a "being an asshole" problem
Oznut

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 02:12:20 PM »

Good to see you've still got this. How do you find the Maxxis? I was running the Bighorns on my my white Hilux and they were bloody great off road and damn good on road. Well priced, too.

I love lamp.
JunkTrader
Master

Jake

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 03:10:23 PM »

Good to see you've still got this. How do you find the Maxxis? I was running the Bighorns on my my white Hilux and they were bloody great off road and damn good on road. Well priced, too.

I like them, we've had a few sets of buckshot tires and have always had good luck with them. This is the first set I've bought new and haven't had a chance to run them much, they're almost a year old and still look brand new  Cheesy  I think the side wall is a little thin, a while back I was moving the truck around the yard and ran over a jack stand and tore a huge hole in one of them, thats really my only complaint.

I almost bought a set of bighorns, I liked the looks and they were the same price, I had trouble deciding, I called the tire store and they just happened to already have a set of the buckshots in stock in the size I wanted so thats what I bought.

the trans may still be ok, when the guy put it in , a sensor was bad (can't remember the name of it) and it wouldn't shift past 2nd, they replaced it with a $20 junkyard piece, I unplugged it for a minute and it seemed to fix it, but I haven't driven it since.

bowtie
Oznut

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 03:31:51 PM »

I've got a mate with the buckshots and he wished he'd gone the bighorns after seeing how well the perform off road.

I love lamp.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: