theautolounge.net
January 16, 2018, 10:54:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Overgrown home in Athens, GA . . .  (Read 3227 times)
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2009, 08:27:13 PM »

An abandoned house .  .  .
April 3, 2009 and August 6, 2009

I became fascinated with this overgrown home right after I moved to Athens in January 2009.  Yes, underneath all that Kudzu vine is a vacant house.  I know that Kudzu spreads like wildfire.  But I still think nobody has lived here in quite a while.  I think this is actually the side entrance.

I walked around to the front of the house and started down the hill.  Looking back, you can imagine how it sits on top of a small hill and overlooks a valley-like setting.

When I took these photos in April 2009, this was the only part of the home that was visible.

That was in April.  Fast forward to August 6 where the property is now being uncovered for whatever reason, (I suspect to be torn down and be developed).  Here is what you see now when you drive by.

It looks like part of the roof has collapsed, which isn't really a surprise.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 12:28:26 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

03_TrueBlue_GT
Grand Master

Doug

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 10:08:42 PM »

wow just wow looks like that episode I saw from Tales of the Crypt where this guy finds a meteorite and keeps it but its an alien plant thing that turns everything into like that basically. Grin

LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 10:49:08 PM »

wow just wow looks like that episode I saw from Tales of the Crypt where this guy finds a meteorite and keeps it but its an alien plant thing that turns everything into like that basically. Grin

lmao lmao lmao lmao

Something from the twighlight zone for sure!

Kill it!! Kill it with fire!!!!

Fox
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 04:09:16 PM »

Ah yes the Detroit realestate market... What? Athens, GA you say  Undecided
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 10:56:31 PM »

It's been a while for this one .  .  .  
March 30, 2014

My wife and I lived in an apartment along Timothy Road on the western side of Athens when we initially moved to the area.  Six months later, we moved to the east side of the city to the house I currently occupy.  Home and work are on this side of town, meaning I don't travel on Timothy Road very often any more.  But each time I do, I always take a glance at that fascinating abandoned and overgrown home.

At some point over this past winter, I found myself traveling on Timothy Road and looked in that direction like I always do.  And I saw NOTHING !  I don't know the details.  But the house and all the vines have been removed.  I made a point to stop and take a couple of pics today.

I really don't know how long it's been gone.  I noticed it was gone over the winter.  But like I said earlier, I don't get down this road much any more.

If I had to guess, I would say that someone is preparing the property for development.  This is actually a decent sized piece of ground, albeit a somewhat vertical piece of ground.  It's hard to tell from the photo below.  But there's a pretty steep drop to the right of where I'm standing.

April 3, 2009

I guess we'll wait and see what happens .  .  .

« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 12:38:47 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

MontereyDave
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 11:40:08 PM »

Wow!  I've never seen anything like those 2009 pics!

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 11:37:00 AM »

We're all familiar with abandoned houses.  But this was my first time ever seeing anything this intense.  Everyone I've asked doesn't know anything about the home or its history.  Fascinating story !

I remember seeing another house in a similar situation a few years ago.  I'll try and locate when I get the chance .  .  . 

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 10:08:33 PM »

I did some research, (I've had a fascination with abandoned buildings and urban exploration for years !).  This is what the property looked like when I first moved to the area in 2009. 

April 3, 2009

Calling it "engulfed" is an understatement.

April 3, 2009

April 3, 2009

April 3, 2009

The "current" snapshot of the property from Bing Maps' "Birds eye View" actually appears to be from this time period.  The property was in this state from long, long ago through at least April 2009.  Apparently, Bing doesn't update its images very often. 

I revisited the property in August 2009 to find a very different scene.

August 6, 2009 

A serious attempt had been made to uncover the house, but not the rest of the property.

August 6, 2009 

Most of the vines had been removed from around the house, itself.  But the garage was still buried.

August 6, 2009 

The "current" satellite image from Google Maps doesn't appear to be up to date either.  In the screenshot below, I see a partially uncovered abandoned house, which would date the image anywhere from mid 2009 through sometime during 2013.

According to the Athens-Clarke County Tax Assessor's website, a permit for demolition was issued in March 2013.  There's no way to determine exactly when the house was demolished.  But the permit was issued a year ago.  The property owner is listed as an "estate" which would explain things .  .  .

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: