theautolounge.net
January 17, 2018, 04:57:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Ford Mustang Thread  (Read 31562 times)
LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 09:12:27 AM »

Speaking of the old fox, I found a real prisitine example near my house.

It claims to be a cobra, has approx 42k on the clock, and its listed for $19k.

Would you do it?

slowfiveoh
Semper Paratus
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 07:48:15 PM »

Speaking of the old fox, I found a real prisitine example near my house.

It claims to be a cobra, has approx 42k on the clock, and its listed for $19k.

Would you do it?

If it truly has 42k on it, and has the SVT paperwork, then yes. In a heartbeat. Especially if it has supporting SVT documentation.

Looks like a real clean example.

Let me know if you want some key spots to look at before purchasing. These model Cobras are getting harder to find in this condition, and are truly a special car.

It comes with a special cobra intake, E303 cam, and Roller Rockers straight from the factory. Underrated @ 235hp (more like 245ish)

Sweet cars, and in my opinion that is the most beautiful color of any Cobra.

clutch
Forza Master
Administrator
Master

Captain Obvious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 08:21:53 PM »

In my personal and complete 3rd party opinion, I would not spend 19 grand on it.

One because I think that is far too high of a price to pay for that car. I don't know what they run for when sold out of a collection, but I sure wouldn't spend 19 grand. And 2 because you cannot be sure of its history unless you had more information that makes it really as true and "special" as it sounds. Third because I just don't like its overall design.

It is nice example from that time I will give it that, one of the cleanest Foxes I have seen. However if I had 19 grand of expendable money I would look elsewhere or I would look for a workable 3-4 grand example and spend the rest making it my own.

slowfiveoh
Semper Paratus
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 09:26:26 PM »

In my personal and complete 3rd party opinion, I would not spend 19 grand on it.

One because I think that is far too high of a price to pay for that car. I don't know what they run for when sold out of a collection, but I sure wouldn't spend 19 grand. And 2 because you cannot be sure of its history unless you had more information that makes it really as true and "special" as it sounds. Third because I just don't like its overall design.

It is nice example from that time I will give it that, one of the cleanest Foxes I have seen. However if I had 19 grand of expendable money I would look elsewhere or I would look for a workable 3-4 grand example and spend the rest making it my own.

LOL the Fox Chassis Cobra is one of the highest sought Mustangs, despite its Fox Chassis basis. There were only 4,993 of these cars produced. Thats a VERY small production run for any car really. The Cobra R only had 107 made, and is more exclusive by far. However, a 93 Cobra is not some "3-4 thousand dollar Mustang".

I am assuming Adam knew this, which is why he asked.

The ONLY drawback to this car, as well as paying that price, is that any time you alter it from its original OEM configuration, you are depreciating its value.

If you are looking for a "toy" Adam,..then this car is probably not the one you want. 

LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 09:41:00 AM »

It would be hard sell to my wife thats for sure. Its easier selling her on euros because of her appreciation of european cars which is one of the few things we have in common other than we both need to eat and breathe.

I am aware of the cars limited availability, but had no idea of the figure Jason provided. That is remarkable. The thing is, if I bought it, it would be driven, a LOT. Thats my take on cars, they are to drive no matter how rare they are. I would not drive it in the snow and would try to avoid the rain of course, but, anything else, its open season.

The $19k is a bit more than I would hope to spend, despite it is probably worth it. Heres another bit of insider information. The dealer that has it, is one of the nations most highly rated BMW dealerships and one of the highest volume car dealers in illinois. This dealership (one of his many) is a Chevy/Caddy dealership. Bill Jacobs himself is a BMWCCA member and each year has a car club meet at his own personal warehouse. Thats WAREhouse of cars. He has a good reputation for finding and reselling some of the finest examples of automobiles around. If you buy from Bill, you have a good feeling that you are buying a correctly priced car that is worth what you pay for. I actually called them yesterday and asked if it was still available and it is. I may go Saturday to have look in person, its about an hour from me and with this shit weather, I have to allow several hours there and back.

Here is the link to the story and the pics of the last meet there from August 2008. Check it out if you havent already.

http://illinoiseuro.com/forum/index.php/topic,2106.0.html

clutch
Forza Master
Administrator
Master

Captain Obvious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 10:01:44 AM »

Jason, I wasn't trying to come across as an ass. I personally wouldn't spend the money on it. That doesn't mean Adam or you or anyone else shouldn't.

See if you can get a test drive Adam. However, be warned, it may be contagious and we may see another vehicle in the Frantzen household!

The missus would not be happy.

slowfiveoh
Semper Paratus
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 06:11:31 PM »

The only issue I would personally see, is honestly you can get a hell of a lot more bang for your buck out of a regular GT, or even better, a LX coupe. Yes the Cobra is a limited model, yes that color is the sexiest color ever on a Fox, yes its just cool to own a 93 Cobra. BUT, if you had to have one to just drive around, 19k gets you a seriously suspended, seriously drivetrained GT/LX.

Just something to consider.

Then AGAIN, if the dealer has that kind of reputability at least you know what you are getting int ofor certain.

93 Cobra has always been something I aspired for, but haven't been able to afford/find yet.

Clutch, I didn't take any offense at all, I just thought maybe you didn't understand the relative difference between a GT/LX and a 93 Cobra. Smiley

Cornelius Van

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2009, 01:39:39 AM »

The only issue I would personally see, is honestly you can get a hell of a lot more bang for your buck out of a regular GT, or even better, a LX coupe. Yes the Cobra is a limited model, yes that color is the sexiest color ever on a Fox, yes its just cool to own a 93 Cobra. BUT, if you had to have one to just drive around, 19k gets you a seriously suspended, seriously drivetrained GT/LX.

Just something to consider.

Then AGAIN, if the dealer has that kind of reputability at least you know what you are getting int ofor certain.

93 Cobra has always been something I aspired for, but haven't been able to afford/find yet.

Clutch, I didn't take any offense at all, I just thought maybe you didn't understand the relative difference between a GT/LX and a 93 Cobra. Smiley

I've seen you post that a few times before, but I've never gotten around to asking about it...

Besides insurance costs(/police attention?), how would a 5.0 LX be a better ride than a 5.0 GT?

Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2009, 12:12:01 AM »

Source: Roush Performance
Well, sort of… We’ve been filming every aspect of development of the ROUSH® 2010 Mustang from concept through unveil (which will take place on March 18) in anticipation of turning this footage into a cable television documentary.

This footage covers the very first design illustrations, the boardroom concessions, the changes that occur, and all the things that go on behind the scenes in making one of the finest pony cars on the market.

Right now representatives are in negotiations with cable TV outlets to find a home for this show. They have shown them a "sizzle reel" of footage to give the television executives an idea of what this program will deliver. And you can watch that very same video here thanks to ROUSHtv.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-GelCH_JRPI&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x5d1719&amp;color2=0xcd311b&amp;border=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/-GelCH_JRPI&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x5d1719&amp;color2=0xcd311b&amp;border=1</a>

i have a VERY strong feeling that Speed is going to pick this up. i mean what other cable network is as popular with the gearhead crowd as Speed? they wouldn't get as much publicity if they put it on some network other than Speed.

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2009, 01:14:14 PM »

Source: AutoBlog
If you're the type of person who loves every new Ford Mustang variation that hits the market, then this is what you've finally been waiting for. If you're the type who can't stand it, well, deal with it. Today, Roush is the first to dip its toe into into what will doubtlessly be a very crowded pool of tuner Mustangs with the introduction of its 2010 427R Mustang at its Livonia, MI assembly plant.

Like the standard 2010 Mustang, don't expect drastic changes underneath – the meat-and-potatoes of Roush Mustangs over the past few years are all there but now with a fresh new face. Under the hood, the Blue Oval's V8 has been supercharged to produce 435 horsepower and 400 lb-ft of torque, and it now features a more efficient intake system and improved cooling.

The appearance package is relatively subtle (if you can call side stripes "subtle") and includes a new front fascia, front splitter, rear fascia, side sills, a three-piece rear wing and 18-inch wheels (20-inchers are optional). Roush has also spent countless hours tuning the suspension system, which consists of new springs, shocks and sway bars, although we can't imagine Ford's own setup being improved upon too much. Roush will have to send us a 427R to test so can find out for ourselves.

Finally, all the little details that come with a limited edition production car are all there – fender badges, rear decklid emblem, aluminum pedals, embroidered floor mats and a serialized engine bay plaque. In addition to the standard features, customers can also choose from numerous upgrades including reupholstered leather seats, short-throw shifter, performance exhaust, and more.

very subtle changes to the exterior, but enough to make it the most badass production Mustang on the street like the 427R has always been.

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2009, 06:03:44 AM »

Ford confirms development of 5.0L "Coyote" V8 for future F-150 and Mustang
Source: Motor Authority
Ford’s iconic Mustang was given an update for the 2010 model year to keep it fresh alongside strong new competitors such as the Dodge Challenger, upcoming Chevrolet Camaro, and even Nissan’s all-new 370Z, but unfortunately the update didn’t entail any serious changes to the car’s powertrain lineup. Despite reports claiming that Ford’s EcoBoost V6 and a new 5.0L V8 were destined for the 2010 update, Ford decided to stick with the previous 4.6L V8 engine for its range-topping GT.

Compared to its top-end rivals, Ford’s 315hp (235kW) GT looks anaemic against the 372hp (277kW) Dodge Challenger R/T and even worse against the 422hp (315kW) of the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS. Even the V6 engine in Nissan’s 370Z drums up 332hp (248kW).

The tables are set to turn, however, as a Ford executive has revealed to Drive that Ford’s current 4.6L and 5.4L V8 engines will be replaced by a new 5.0L V8 codenamed ‘Coyote’ that’s currently in development in North America. Ford's Australian product development chief, Russel Christophers, wasn’t willing to reveal any other details but said he had "seen the performance curves" and described them as “pretty good”.

The new Coyote engine is first expected to appear in the F-150 pickup in 2010 and then in the Mustang by 2011. The specs include a four-valve SOHC design, with power up around the 400hp (300kW) region and torque upwards of 400lb-ft (540Nm).

An exact date for release of the engine is not known but it has been suggested that it could appear in the Mustang within the next two years, and in certain Australian models as early as 2010. Meanwhile, the base Mustang is expected to stick with the current 4.0L V6, but a new mid-level model is expected to be launched later this year with Ford’s 355hp (265kW) and 350ft-lb (474Nm) of torque EcoBoost mill.

As for the high-performance Shelby models, previous reports claimed the GT500 will eventually adopt a supercharged version of the new 5.0L V8 in place of the current 5.4L mill.

LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2009, 08:32:04 AM »

It appears that we will have to wait and see what Ford decides on. However, in my mind, if they are going to compete with the gm & dodge products, they will have to increase displacement and subsequently hp/TQ. Then take that new engine to the track and see how it stacks up against gm & dodge, as in nascar racing.

Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2009, 08:48:56 AM »

NASCAR regulates engine size to 350+c.i.

so a 5.0 in NASCAR would be impossible. they already have the Cammer 5.0 competing in the Koni Challenge Series right now in the FR500Cs. those FR500Cs are also dominating the series. hopefully this "Coyote" will be based on the Cammer 5.0.

and to add, Ford Racing already has an engine waiting in the wings for NASCAR right now called the FR9. it won't be seeing competition until Daytona at the Coke Zero 400.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 08:52:40 AM by Elmo187 » Logged

heretic
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2009, 01:59:25 PM »

I have been offered my old job back, at FRP (ford racing)............I like Phil as a friend, and a fellow enthusiasts, so it made me feel guilty to turn it down....................It is too bad Slowfiveoh moved to Washington.....I would have made a few introductions, and given a referral

I don't have an attitude problem... You have a "being an asshole" problem
LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2009, 11:37:46 AM »

You know. I was just kinda lazily looking at the mustang pics above and realized something. Does the rear end of the stng resemble the GT-R a bit? Not that it matters, just wonder if there is some similar engineering taking place.

Shows how much I know about nascar.  Tongue

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21
  Print  

Jump to: