theautolounge.net
January 20, 2018, 06:33:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Ford Mustang Thread  (Read 31581 times)
Elmo187

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2009, 02:03:34 AM »

Source: AutoBlog
Like the last GT500, this one gets more aggressive styling, particularly in the nose, and reprises many of the same detail elements. The horizontally mirrored trapezoidal shape of the grille in the upper and lower front fascia is meant to echo the oval shape of the Shelby Cobras of the '60s. The upper grille is tilted forward at a steeper angle than the GT and the grille surround is separated entirely from the hood. The leading edge of the hood on other Mustangs forms the upper frame of the grille, while the new GT500 has an extra bit of bodywork there.

The hood of the GT500 still has a functional air extractor allowing some of the massive heat generated by the blown V8 to escape. The power dome of the V6 and GT is supplanted by a smoother bulge that now encompasses most of the hood. The driving lamps stay in the lower fascia reprising the last edition and leaving the grille area open for air flow.

Careful observers will note that the snake badge has moved from the right to the left side of the grille (when viewed from the front). This has nothing to do with the blowing of political winds, but is actually functional. Like the GT, the GT500 now has a cold air intake that sits directly behind the snake's former residence.

A revised duck-tail spoiler sits at the back end along the trailing edge of the trunk-lid and incorporates a Gurney flap. The faux diffuser along the bottom of the GT500's rump is now more prominent, although probably not any more functional. Regardless of the diffuser's functionality, the new GT500 does have more down-force thanks to that spoiler and the front splitter. The center of pressure has also been moved further forward, which should help reduce understeer at higher speeds.

The diffuser is flanked by a pair of four-inch diameter tail-pipes that could be used to patch your local water main the next time it bursts. The Shelby badging along the trailing edge of the trunk-lid also now stretches the width of the distance between the tail-lights, just like the original 2005 concept.

Supporting the still excessive mass (we'll get back to that) of the GT500 are new ten-spoke alloy wheels with a slimmer spoke design than before. Coupes and convertibles each get the same design but in different sizes and constructions. The rag-tops get a cast 18-inch version of the wheel, while closed-roof versions get a forged 19-inch construction. The forged version is both stronger and lighter than the smaller wheel compensating for the extra size. The sides of the spokes on the forged wheels are milled, helping to reduce the mass without sacrificing strength.

The leather seats inside the car now have pairs of longitudinal contrasting stripes that echo the stripes stretching the length of the body, as well as alcantara trim on the side bolsters, shift lever, parking braking boots and steering wheel. The traditional white cue-ball shift knob is now also adorned with a pair of black stripes parallel to the shaft of the short throw shifter. All of this is neither here nor there, as none one of these interior niceties makes the GT500 faster, turn better or stop better.

For that we have to look in the engine compartment. The powerplant remains a twin cam 5.4L V8 with a supercharger. New additions to the power plant include knock sensors, the aforementioned cold-air intake and a lower restriction exhaust system. The updates bump output from from 500 hp at 6,000 rpm to 540 hp at 6,200 rpm. Twisting force also goes from 480 lb-ft at 4,500 rpm to 510 lb-ft at the same peak speed.

Unfortunately, one aspect that didn't change is the cast iron engine block. The aluminum block that was used in the Ford GT supercar had a dry sump system that can't be packaged in the Mustang. Thus, the iron block from the F-150 was used with the top end of the GT engine, which pushed the car's weight up over 3,900 lbs. That makes the GT500 both the heaviest and most powerful Mustang.

The top two ratios in the new GT500's gearbox have been made numerically lower to help reduce fuel consumption. As before, getting all the drive torque from the engine to the gears is the job of a dual plate clutch. The clutch plates have been increased in diameter from 215 mm to 250 mm. This allowed Ford to reduce the clutch pedal effort while improving the torque transmission capability.

All that torque flows from the Tremec 6-speed gearbox through a limited slip differential with a 3.55:1 final drive ratio. The 2010 GT500 gets 17% stiffer springs at the front axle and 7% stiffer at the rear axle. The forged alloys on the coupe are wrapped in Goodyear F1 Supercar rubber sized 255/40R19 front and 285/25R19 rear. The Brembo four-pot calipers are retained at the front and the GT500 also get the same standard electronic stability control that lesser Mustangs get for 2010.

Like the GT with the Track Pack, the ESC in the new GT500 always defaults on when the car is started, but can be turned off or put into a Sport mode. In Sport mode, the ESC allows greater amounts of slip before intervening.

The 2010 GT500 now has more power and presumably better handling than before. When we drove the last iterations of the GT500 and Bullitt, the Shelby was undoubtedly faster but the Bullitt was a better all-around car and daily driver. The Bullitt's lighter weight and better balance made it more fun to drive on the street while the blown Mustang was king at the Friday night drag races. Only time will tell if the GT500 can overcome.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 09:23:18 AM by Elmo187 » Logged

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
Polish Guy
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 10:26:07 AM »

looks like Nogaro blue!

I like this mustang!

LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 01:14:12 PM »

The front looks like an improvement from the previous model. Not a significant difference, just more refined.

Why do the wheel caps say SVT when this is a Shelby? 

Exige_240R

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 02:06:00 PM »

I thought that when I looked at the previous model when it first came out:

I never did find out the real answer...

Anyway, relating to the topic, feel free to quote that an English person is saying how much he loves this car! (That's me btw)

I don't know what it is, but this car just works for me, I already like the current shape car, and it would be my dream car to do my drive in, but I will have to make do with a regular Mustang GT instead.
However, I really like the lines of this car, I think its a bit softer than the previous shape, and until I see it with my own eyes, i'd probably be equally as happy with the current car!

But I think they've done a really good with this new Mustang, if only it was in my price range and out on the roads in time for me, which sadly, it isnt Sad
Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 09:47:10 PM »

the wheels say SVT because they're the ones who developed the car. it just says Shelby to pay homage to the original GT500. Carroll Shelby had some input into this car, but it wasn't built or developed at Shelby America. the only GT500 model that is built at Shelby America is the GT500KR Super Snake.

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 10:37:44 PM »

Ah ok, I knew there was a logical explanation I was missing, thanks bud.

Ok, I'll ask the hard question now. Being a stang owner three times over in my life, I need to know what is the interior quality like these days with the new ones. That is the ONLY thing that turns me off about Fords. My last GT which I have told Jason I would post up pics of, convinced me that Ford forget the Quality assurance when building the cars. Im sorry, Im not bashing because Ima asshole, I just have had real world experience. So given this new design, and other factors, can someone convince me that Ford finally found the Quality assurance program?

Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 10:50:04 PM »

Ah ok, I knew there was a logical explanation I was missing, thanks bud.

Ok, I'll ask the hard question now. Being a stang owner three times over in my life, I need to know what is the interior quality like these days with the new ones. That is the ONLY thing that turns me off about Fords. My last GT which I have told Jason I would post up pics of, convinced me that Ford forget the Quality assurance when building the cars. Im sorry, Im not bashing because Ima asshole, I just have had real world experience. So given this new design, and other factors, can someone convince me that Ford finally found the Quality assurance program?
the interior quality has went up if you ask me. my mother's 2003 Ford Mustang Pony Edition's (tarted up V6) interior is standing up pretty well ever since she bought it back in 2003. the leather seats are holding up pretty well with the typical wrinkling you see on leather. the radio buttons and everything else that is plastic around that isn't fading whatsoever seeing as how much it sits in the Florida sun. the shifter and shifter boot are holding up VERY well considering its a stick. the only problem with quality she has with the car is the fading of the clear coat, which i might add is pretty low quality if its already doing that at only being 5 years old.

new S197 Mustangs i wouldn't know about. i've never really heard anything of a complaint about the quality of their interior from any fellow StangNetters who own S197s.

clutch
Forza Master
Administrator
Master

Captain Obvious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 03:45:50 AM »

Its been brought up many times that the dash panel gaps and feel of the pre-facelift mustangs (2005-2010) are a problem. There are shipyards that have less hard plastic than the interiors of those things. Having been in one, I had no problems with it, although it does feel hard to the touch and the color scheme is kind of depressing.

However, these updated ones have a brand new interior that is "softer" to touch, most of the dash comprises of one piece, and the metal looking pieces are actually metal as opposed to plastic. I think the biggest improvement on the facelifts are the interior. Just from pictures they look miles more expensive. (Even though the car is not)

As for the 2010 Mustangs, I LOVE them already. Cannot wait till they hit the streets here.

Exige_240R

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 04:21:37 AM »

IF I manage to get my hands on an '05 Mustang then you'll be able to see for yourself!
coolvw52

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 11:05:22 AM »

I like it  Cool

slowfiveoh
Semper Paratus
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 01:41:13 PM »

Fox's were plagued with interior issues prevailant to the era in which they were born. Similarly, F-bods had shit interior too. The fox chassis interior was actually "ok" as long as you kept it clean and cared for it, with the exception of the pouches on the doors, and the ashtray lid spring not working anymore. Sometimes you could break a seat bracket if you were a 250+ lb behemoth of a person too. Fox Chassis cars are also notorious for paint fade. My 90 GT (the 12.2 car) was a beautiful vermillion red when waxed, with a very deep and rich red color. When the wax coat wore off, the car was pink in places.
Everything SN95 forward I have ever worked with, has had wonderful interior quality. Its not Lincoln inside, but its good reliable parts.

What issues did you have that pissed you off or stole your trust with the Mustangs Adam?

LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 03:05:24 PM »

Fox's were plagued with interior issues prevailant to the era in which they were born. Similarly, F-bods had shit interior too. The fox chassis interior was actually "ok" as long as you kept it clean and cared for it, with the exception of the pouches on the doors, and the ashtray lid spring not working anymore. Sometimes you could break a seat bracket if you were a 250+ lb behemoth of a person too. Fox Chassis cars are also notorious for paint fade. My 90 GT (the 12.2 car) was a beautiful vermillion red when waxed, with a very deep and rich red color. When the wax coat wore off, the car was pink in places.
Everything SN95 forward I have ever worked with, has had wonderful interior quality. Its not Lincoln inside, but its good reliable parts.

What issues did you have that pissed you off or stole your trust with the Mustangs Adam?

Well, jeez, where do I start?

First to be clear, I bought all three of mine used. The first 1982 was about two years I got it after leaving the service. Trying to remember back 25 years ago is tough, but, I just remember that the interior was very cheezy, as in cheap. I do not recall anything that broke, but, I only had the car until I rolled it.  :Smiley

The second was a 87 5.0 vert. Burgunday? Maroon? Something along those lines. It was a little rough when I got it. I did some engine upgrades, replaced the top, but my biggest bitch was the seats. They never worked right. The drivers seat was broken, fortunately in the way back position because Ima  big guy. This pissed off my girlfriend at the time because she was a midget (so to speak). Later girlfriend loved it though, she was 5'10" (and wife #2 eventually).
There were minot issues with the window switches not working correctly, as in the contacts were worn so you have to fiddle with them the make them go up and down. If I remember also, the shifter felt sloppy, not the clutch, the shifter itself. I never got that far.

My last one was the 93 GT vert. This was is very nice shape when I acquired it. I immediately began modding the engine, suspension, brakes, etc. I was determined to make that car breathe fire. The GT had some of the same complaints of the 87, funky window switches, armrest broke off, climate control buttons/switches broke, little shit like that. Over time, I ended up replacing a lot of interior crap because I wanted to the inside to be nice due to my significant work on the engine/suspension. The killer came several days apart. First my rear windows went down, then decided to go on strike. When I have the top down, I preferred all the windows to be down. So that was fun, more frustrating than anything. Next two or three days later, I put the top down and IT decided to go on strike and not come back up. Well, I wasnt  in a high crime neighborhood, but, I couldnt leave my top down forever either. So, I had to climb in the back seat and pull it up. It was hydraulic mind you, NOT an easy task. To fix that was more than I had at the moment, wife #2 decided that she didnt want to be married anymore and I needed to finance the buyout of her portion of the house. Yay!

The final straw was probably more my fault than Fords. Over the several years I owned the car, I dropped a shit tonne of money into engine mods and the car was fast. Go through rear perrellis "often" fast. Pretty soon the tranny started to give way. It started by going into 2, 3, 4th very hard, then finally it would only go into 2nd, and 3rd with two hands. Not safe mind you. Despite dropping big coin on a new dual friction clutch the previous year, which I know doesnt have a HUGE impact on the other tranny parts, the tranny finally gave out.

I was done.

I traded it for a new nissan 4x4 truck.

Sorry so long, but you asked!!!  blah blah

slowfiveoh
Semper Paratus
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 04:23:04 PM »

Ok. For the first one, most cars of that generation had crap interior. I personally hate the 4-eyed interiors myself, as they look very cheezy. Most cars of this era were that way though. Mixed-Matched hodgepodge of interior materials clumsily hurled together in a vomitous type mass. I agree with you there, believe me.

Second one. I can honestly say I have never experienced the power window problems you have had, over the vast majority of Mustangs I have worked on. My last one however (89 GR40 Car) had the trim around the windows decaying so badly it fought the motor to let the window go up or down. When it all comes down to it though, thats operator/maintenance error there. Some of our plastic/rubber molds weren't the stuff they are made of today. That is to say better mixtures of rubber compounds that are both more flexible, AND retain their finish for extensively longer periods of time. Replacement parts are easilly available, with superior (i.e. Todays Technology) products to replace OEM stuff, at bargain prices too. This is why the Fox is in my opinion, one of the best buys available ever.

Keeping things on track, and to address car #3.

#1. I would have told you to steer clear of a Convertible Fox Chassis. The Subframe twists and contorts every which way under load, making the simple task such as keeping the car straight when your right foot is dropped, a VERY difficult task. Yes Subframe connectors fix this, but without them, the car will flop like you cut its achilles tendon.

#2. Any power upgrades to a Fox Chassis beyond 300hp/300ft lbs of torque (Which is the stock torque rating by the way) REQUIRE a replacement of the T-5. "World Class" does not mean "Indestructible" and the synchros in 2nd/3rd/4th are NOTORIOUS for excessive wear. Too much torque shears and deforms the synchro faces to the point they are unable to engage. What you pay for in an indestructable rear end, is a Transmission with glass syncrhos.

In the future try this for your basis (If you have not shyed away from a Fox Chassis that is):

Tremec TKO (Transmission)
Steeda Tri-Ax Short Throw *snick-snick*
"Energy" Bushing kit, from Motor Mounts to Rear Control arms
Weld Torque Boxes at open/disconnected seams (Do not run a solid bead, spot weld 2 inch lengths, and move to the other side to keep from distorting torque box geometry)
Replace Driveshaft (FRPP Aluminum ones rarely have the correct balance. Get one made with beefier joints)
Weld-In Subframe Connectors

Here is the beauty with a Fox, after doing the steps listed above.

The car may have been substandard to most current vehicles in handling performance and ride quality, but with those mods, it will be above and beyond most of what you have sampled in chassis "Tightness" and responsiveness in a V8 equipped car.

Then throw some nice suspension at it (Maximum Motorsports/Griggs/etc.) and it becomes a street terror capable of hammering Vettes in the corners.

Shave some weight, do all common top end mods, and tuh-duh.

350+hp car that weighs ~3000lbs with driver, and handles better than most cars. 

Edit: Just for what I listed, see what the prices come up to with random quick searches online. You will be shocked/amazed. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 04:25:04 PM by slowfiveoh » Logged

LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 05:11:59 PM »

Interesting. And no, I always stop and have a look at an add in the trader, or, if there is one in the used car lot. I would buy another for the right price in a heartbeat.

I HAD to get rid of the 93, due to my divorce, that car was my daily driver, it had become unmanagable in poor weather as in snow. Before the divorce, when the shit hit the fan weather wise, I drove wifes car, or we carpooled. No more wife; Adam stuck with rear wheel drive torque monster AND a bad tranny (with no money to fix) = lose/lose.

I have found several over the last year, Im always tempted. And because I dragged my arse and didnt buy one when I had the chance, now #1 son is ready for his first car. I would feel like a championship asshole if I bought myself another toy and not help him. He has some money saved, but, not nearly enough for anything safe. Ah well.

How about you Jason, any plans for another? 

spowrd

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 07:00:41 PM »

I love that blue.

01.5 Audi S4 2.7TT 6MT
98 VW Jetta GLX VR6 5MT
84 VW Jetta GLi
09 VW Jetta S
67 VW Karmann Ghia
94 Jeep Grand Cherokee
84 Mazda RX-7 12A 5MT
00 Audi S4 6MT <<<<<<<<< For SALE!!!