theautolounge.net
October 23, 2017, 01:34:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: The 2017 edition of Todd's ongoing Yard Adventure . . .  (Read 590 times)
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2017, 09:39:33 PM »

Another branch down .  .  .
August 8, 2017

I was preparing to head to work today and found this.

A large branch from one of the trees next to the driveway broke off and fell.  This is the largest branch that has come down in my yard in a while.  Yet it did so during a calm weather period, (i.e. no storms or high winds).

Unfortunately, if fell on top of the Korean Azalea.

I moved the branch off of the azalea and was relieved to find that nothing was broken.

It looks like the branch bent everything over, but didn't actually break anything.  I think it will be fine.

I think I see where the branch broke, which was quite a ways up.

Naturally, Leaf & Limb collection just happened in my neighborhood last week.  I'll have to set the branch aside for now until the next collection in 6 weeks .  .  .

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2017, 10:04:49 PM »

A couple of changes for late summer .  .  .
August 13, 2017
Part 1 of 2

This has been a great summer so far.  My yard seems quite happy with the amount of rain we've had.  The summer bloomers continue to do their thing.  The Purple Magic crape myrtle was the first of the three in this area to bloom this year.  It did so in mid-June, which means it's been sporting purple flowers for a month now.

The Plum Magic crape myrtle has tripled in size since I planted it in 2015.  It has also been blooming for a month. 

The Crimson Red crape myrtle is getting a late start, but is now starting to bloom.

Speaking of benefiting from the rain this summer, the Vitex Shoal Creek has tripled in size since I planted it in April 2016.  This plant should get pretty large and bloom in blue each spring.

The one remaining Super Blue Lavender still shows a few blooms.  It bloomed earlier this spring.  When it finished blooming, I cut the spent flowers off hoping it would bloom again, which it did !  This sounds like something I should pay attention to.

I tried to zoom in on a moth on one of the flowers, which was a lot harder than it sounds.  But the picture turned ok given the circumstances .  .  .

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2017, 10:49:04 PM »

continued .  .  .
Part 2 of 2

I had two projects on the agenda for today.  In one of my first Yard Adventure undertakings, I planted an Eleanor Tabor Indian Hawthorn shrub directly in front of the house in March 2012 where it did ok, but not great.  I moved it to the mailbox area in April 2016 thinking more sun would be beneficial.  That idea, which looked good on paper, didn't work at all in practice, (it dropped most of its leaves shortly afterward).  It's looked pretty sad ever since.

My reason for wanting to move the hawthorn at this point stems from the nearby Pampas Grass plant which is doing extremely well this year and has slowly been encroaching on the hawthorn's space.  So the plan for today was to move it once again before it gets smothered.  I broke out the shovel and pulled it out of the ground.

According to the tag that came with the hawthorn, it likes sun.  When directly in front of the house didn't work, I moved it to the mailbox.  That location, even though it is in full sun, didn't work either for unknown reasons.  So now I don't know what to think.  I decided to put it next to the Leyland Cypress and Reeves Spireas by the front walk where I had the small relocated azalea.  This area gets sunlight, (although not full-sun all day long), and is large enough to give it some room.  After a little bit of effort, the hawthorn now has another new address.  Everything I do with this plant is a guess at this point.  So I'm going to cross my fingers and see what happens.  

I tried to center the hawthorn evenly in between the Leyland Cypress and Reeves Spireas.  There should be enough room in this location for everyone.

With the Eleanor Tabor Indian Hawthorn relocated, this meant I had to find yet another home for the small azalea.  Since I hacked all of the azaleas next to the driveway this past spring, a decent gap has developed in between two of them large enough to fit this small shrub.  This will be the fourth, and hopefully last location for this little guy.

This is the azalea that I originally found on the other side of the yard completely surrounded by English Ivy.  I've moved it twice previously with no ill effects.  It has continued to bloom beautifully each year, but hasn't really grown at all.  So we'll see what happens now.

My mind likes the idea of the small azalea being next to all the other azaleas along the driveway.  And if my previous experiences are accurate, this shrub is pretty stout and should survive another relocation .  .  .

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 10:53:50 PM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2017, 11:04:42 PM »

My first pampas grass bloom .  .  .
August 21, 2017

Well this is a wonderful surprise !

I was heading to work today and discovered a bloom on one of the Pampas Grass plants.  I originally planted all of them in the backyard, which was not one of my better ideas.  Pampas Grass likes full sunlight.  Over the past couple of years, I relocated them to the front yard where they seem to be happy.

Pampas Grass is pretty popular around here.  Most of the examples I see in this area are very large and covered with these feathery blooms.  I'm thinking that moving my plants may have slowed the growing/blooming process.  But now that one of them has become established, I'm starting to see blooms !

I've got one bloom !  It's not much.  But it's my first.  Hopefully, I'll have more in the future .  .  .
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 11:06:36 PM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2017, 11:22:45 PM »

It's been a great summer .  .  .
August 25, 2017

This is the time of the year when the summer bloomers do their thing.  I planted three crape myrtles back in 2015.  All of them are growing beautifully and have flowered each year.  The Purple Magic crape myrtle below has been the first to bloom each year, with this year being no exception.  

It began blooming in mid-June, and has now been sporting flowers for two months.  

The same is true for the Plum Magic crape myrtle.

The Plum Magic crape myrtle first started showing blooms in July.

For whatever reason, I don't have many blooms on the Crimson Red crape myrtle.  But it is blooming.

This is a pleasant surprise !  After moving the Chinese Snowball and Small Anise Tree from this location in 2015, I planted a Yucca Color Guard and a Joe Pye Weed in their place.

I have no idea if the Yucca is doing "well" because it looks exactly the same as it did when I planted it.  But the Joe Pye Weed looks pretty good.

The Joe Pye Weed didn't look too good last season.  I'm guessing that's because I didn't keep the soil moist enough.  With all the rain we've had this year, it looks like it's rebounded quite well, even if it is leaning significantly.

The Joe Pye Weed is said to attract butterflies and appears to be doing its job .  .  .

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 11:25:33 PM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: