theautolounge.net
June 23, 2017, 03:36:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cars of the Past car show, Covington, Georgia, October 2, 2016 . . .  (Read 1358 times)
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2016, 12:26:28 AM »

1951 Ford 2-door Custom

The 239 CID Flathead V8 makes 100 hp.

And talk about beautiful paint ! 

The black paint on this car was really impressive !  Whoever did the paint and body work did a great job.

The car was equally as nice on the inside.

1975 Cadillac Coupe de Ville

I've always loved the giant Cadillacs from the mid-70s ! 

The massive 500 CID V8 was available only in the Eldorado until 1975 when it became available on all Cadillacs except the Seville.  It's a typical Dark Ages engine that only makes 190 hp.  But the 360 ft-lbs torque produced at 2,000 rpm is actually very impressive !

1969 Chevrolet Camaro RS/SS350

The X11 code on the fender tag identifies the car as a "non-Z28" and "non-SS396" car with the Style Trim group or Rally Sport package, (which includes the Style Trim group).

This car left the factory with a 350 CID V8 that made 300 hp.  But it looks like it's had a few things done to it over the years.

1930 Ford Model A Tudor sedan

This was a very original car.  The 200 CID Inline 4-cylinder makes 40 hp.

I like the display of period correct tools.

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2016, 05:12:16 PM »

Ford T Bucket street rod

1946 Ford 2-door

The flat black/red paint combination looked good on this car.  Somewhere along the line, the original inline 6-cylinder or V8 engine was replaced with a small-block Chevrolet V8.

The car was displayed with a "before" picture.  It looks like someone pulled this car out of a field and fixed it up.  Great job !

1965 Chevrolet Corvette

The comments I made earlier about the number of really nice entry level cars apply here as well.  This 'Vette may not be the highly sought after L78 big-block car with a 4-speed.  But it is a matching numbers 300 hp 327 CID V8 entry level car with a Powerglide transmission.

The best part of this car is that it's driven regularly.

1961 Chevrolet Impala

This was the first year for the famed 409, but only 142 were produced.  I suspect the low production was due to a combination of the 360 hp 409 CID V8 becoming available late in the model year and the fact that it cost $484 extra, (a lot compared to the car's $2,704 base price).  So if this car is legit, it's extremely rare !

This car also has the ideal configuration:  A 409 with a 4-speed manual transmission and a bench seat.

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2016, 12:51:18 AM »

1961 Ford Starliner

The Starliner was an upgrade trim level for the Galaxie.  Around 30,000 of them were sold in 1961.  But that's not very many compared to the roughly 350,000 Galaxies sold that year.  This makes the Starliner somewhat rare.

Power comes from Ford's 390 CID V8.  Three different horsepower levels were available that year.  I suspect this car has the 300 hp version, only because the 375 hp version, (4V carburetor and aluminum manifold), and the 401 hp version, (3-2V carburetors), are both quite rare.

1968 Plymouth GTX

The GTX was introduced in 1967 and marketed as an upscale muscle car, (as opposed to the Road Runner being the entry level muscle car).  Just over 12,000 cars were sold in 1967.  Production increased to 17,083 cars sold in 1968.

Being the "upscale" option, the GTX came standard with the 375 hp 440 CID "Super Commando" V8.  The mighty Hemi was optional.  This 440/automatic car is one of 6.902 produced that year.

1963 Chevrolet Corvette

This was the first year for the brand new clean slate design C2 Corvette that would go on to become an icon.  The 1963 cars are easily identified by the split rear window and large hood louvers, both of which would disappear for 1964.

This particular car is a numbers matching 340 hp 327 CID V8 car with a 4-speed manual transmission.

A copy of the original window sticker was displayed with the car.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 01:13:54 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2016, 01:06:09 AM »

1980 Shay Model A Roadster

Harry J. Shay founded his Ford Model A and Model T reproduction company in 1978.  His plan was to build a host of classic Ford replicas that used current Ford drivetrains and sell them through Ford dealers nationwide.  Ford loved the idea, (it gave them a big publicity boost).  Ford dealers also loved the idea, (it brought more traffic into the showroom).  And best of all, the car buying public loved the idea and flocked to the dealers to place orders.  All was well until March 1982 when Shay shut down due to mounting financial and legal troubles.  The company was liquidated later that year.  Paul Housey, who worked for Shay at one time, purchased the Shay assets and formed Camelot Motors in 1983 to continue production.  This lasted for a few years before Camelot also went out of business.

Of the planned run of 10,000 cars, I'm reading where about half were completed before the company went out of business.

1977 Chrysler Cordoba

I remember seeing these cars everywhere when I was a kid.  Seeing one today, especially in this condition, is a rarity.

I remember Ricardo Montalbán and the "fine Corinthian leather" commercials for Chrysler from back in the day.

1967 Pontiac GTO

The cowl tag identifies this car as a legit GTO and breaks down as follows:  
03E = build date:  5th week of March 1967.
ST 67-24217 = Style code:  1967 Pontiac Tempest GTO hardtop coupe.
PON = assembly plant:  Pontiac, Michigan.
16806 BODY = Fisher Body sequence number.
TR 223-B = interior trim codes:  Black vinyl bucket seats.
H-2 PAINT - exterior paint codes:  Linden Green Metallic with a black vinyl top.
EX = Group 1 accessories:  E = tinted glass/all windows, X = power windows.
2KZGV = Group 2 accessories:  K = air conditioning, Z = 3-speed automatic transmission, G = center console, V = Verbra-Phonic rear speaker.
5Y = Group 5 accessories:  Y = custom seat belts.

What was originally Linden Green Metallic with an automatic transmission has now become Regimental Red with a 4-speed.

More Pontiacs:  1970 Trans Am (L) & 1969 Firebird (R)

The 1970 Pontiac Trans Am is a rare car, 1 of 3,196 made that year.

1969 Pontiac Firebird.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 01:15:33 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2016, 01:11:24 AM »

1934 Ford Extra-Cab truck

The builder of this street rod truck incorporated air conditioning, power steering, power windows, and a cupholder into the build.

I guess this gives a new meaning to the "flareside" body.  A narrowed rear axle and a set of giant rear tires complete the package.

1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

I saw several 1969 Camaros at the show today.  This one was a flawlessly restored Z28.

This car is one of 20,302 built that year.

The X77 code shown on the cowl tag identifies this car as a legit Z28 without the Style Trim or Rally Sport packages.  Paint codes 52 52 indicates Garnet Red lower and upper.  Trim code 712 indicates black custom bucket seats.  Code D80 indicates the front and rear spoiler package (RPO D80).

1969 Chevrolet Camaro RS-SS396

Next to the above Z28 was another beautiful 1969 Camaro, this one being a rare RS-SS396 car.  

The X22 code on the cowl tag identifies this car as a legit SS396 car with the Style Trim option or Rally Sport option.  Paint code 50 indicates Dover White.  Trim code 719 indicates Medium Red custom bucket seats.

RPO L34 got the buyer the 350 hp version of the 396 CID big block V8.  A 325 hp version and two 375 hp versions were also available.  This L34 car is one of 2,018 produced that year.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 01:19:19 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2016, 01:34:12 AM »

1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS396

This car is a 375 hp 396 car with bench seat and automatic transmission.

The great thing about the Chevelle was its lengthy option sheet.  Nine different engines were available including this 375 hp 396 CID big block V8, (which was actually 402 cubic inches in displacement).

1940 Chevrolet Special Deluxe coupe

Chevrolet offered three models in 1940 - Master, Master Deluxe, and Special Deluxe.  The Special Deluxe was the top of the line offering and also the best selling model that year.  It was available in 6 different configurations including this 2-door coupe.

Power comes from a 217 CID Inline 6-cylinder that makes 85 hp.

1985 Toyota pickup

Other than a handful of notable exceptions, Toyota products have never excited my senses.  I've always viewed them as the automotive equivalent of a sewing machine.  Toyota products do their jobs very well, but with the same level of enthusiasm I display when I'm folding my laundry.  But something about this 1985 pickup looked different.

Well now !  In place of what was either a 2.4L inline 4-cylinder or possibly a 3.0L V6 now resides a small block Chevrolet V8.  This installation looks very well done !  The V8 fits under the hood quite nicely, and looks like Toyota put it there.  The big tachometer and upgraded floor shifter are the only clues to what sits under the hood.  Very nice !

1969 Chevrolet Camaro RS-SS396 convertible

Chevrolet didn't keep any production records of cars with combined option packages, (i.e. SS cars that also had the RS package).  But 1969 Camaro convertibles are pretty rare to begin with, (17,573 out of a total of 243,045 cars total).  So it's safe to say that convertibles with the RS and SS packages are pretty scarce.

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2016, 01:45:03 AM »

1973 Ford Mustang convertible

This is one of 11,853 Mustang convertibles produced that year.  This car has the 351 CID V8 that made either 154 or 156 hp.

1966 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu SS

This is one of 1,865 cars equipped with the RPO L35 325 hp 396 CID big block V8.

The cowl tag identifies this car as a legit Chevelle Malibu SS.
04D = build date:  4th week of April 1966.
ST 66-13817 = style code:  1966 Chevelle Malibu SS hardtop coupe.
KAN = assembly plant:  Kansas City, Missouri.
11988 BODY = Fisher Body sequence number.
TR 731-B = interior trim codes:  Medium Bright Blue Imitation Leather bucket seats.
F-F PAINT = exterior paint codes:  Marina Blue lower and upper.
2QGS = Group 2 accessories:  Q = RPO M21 4-speed manual transmission, G = center console, S = rear antenna.

At some point, the color combination was changed from Marina Blue with Medium Bright Blue to Regal Red with Black.

1972 Chevrolet Chevelle

This car has been updated with a new LS V8, air conditioning, serpentine belt system, and a hydro-boost brake booster.  I like the custom color on this car !

1972 Dodge Challenger

A couple of changes have been made to this car over the years.  The hood says "440 Magnum" which was not available in 1972.

Under the hood was beautiful !  Thumbs up for retaining the air conditioning !

The inside of the car remained stock with its Slap-Stick automatic transmission.

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T

Unlike the previous Challenger, the big 440 CID V8 was available from the factory in 1970.

This car has the 440 CID "Six-Pack" V8 under the hood.  The addition of three 2-bbl carburetors to the 440 boosted output to 390 hp.

If this car is legit, it would be one of 1,640 Challenger R/T hardtops produced in 1970 with the 440+6 engine option.

Of those 1,640 cars, 793 were equipped with the automatic transmission.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 12:13:46 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2016, 01:16:11 AM »

1964 Chevrolet Impala SS

This car has been modified, but looked well done.  The car seemed to be in great shape.

1966 Ford Thunderbird convertible

This is a relatively rare car to begin with.  Ford produced 5,049 Thunderbird convertibles in 1966.

But this car also has the Q-Code 428 CID V8 that makes 345 hp.  Q-Code production numbers were not recorded for individual model breakdown.  But I'm guessing that a 428 convertible with a/c is extremely scarce.

I love these retractable roof convertibles !  The trunk lid opens rearward to allow the top to fold into the trunk.

1960s Ford Thunderbird interiors are among my favorites.  Stylists did a great job with the car.

The "Tilt-Away" steering wheel option allowed the steering column to move about 10 inches inward to allow for easier ingress/egress.

I love this car !  This was another of my favorites of the show.

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

With its GTX aimed at upscale buyers, Plymouth introduced the Road Runner in 1968 to lure entry level buyers who weren't concerned with extra options and the increase in price (and weight) associated with them.  For $2,986, Road Runner buyers got a 335 hp 383 CID V8 (which was exclusive to the Road Runner) paired with a 4-speed manual transmission.  The Hemi was optional, (for an additional $714, almost 1/4 the cost of the car !), as was an automatic transmission.  Plymouth hoped to sell around 20,000 cars, but ended up selling 44,599, making the idea a rousing success.  This car has the base E63 383 CID V8.

This car also has the optional automatic transmission.  

Chrysler put a lot more information about the car and the options it was ordered with on its fender tags, much more than Ford or GM tags.  Mopar fender tags are read from the bottom up .  .  .
E63 = engine code:  383 CID V8, 4bbl carb, 335 hp.
D32 = transmission code:  Heavy duty automatic transmission.
RM21 = body code:  Belvedere/Satellite/Road Runner line, Medium price class, 2 Door Coupe.
H9G = 383 CID V8, 1969 model year, St. Louis, Missouri assembly plant.
227880 = production sequence number.
X9 X9 = exterior paint codes:  Black Velvet lower and upper.  
M6X = interior trim codes:  Black vinyl bucket seats with the optional Decor group.
X9 = Black interior door frame color.
306 = build date:  March 6, 1969.
152246 = order number.
A01 = Lighting package.
A87 = Road Runner Decor package.
C16 = Center console with woodgrain panel.
C55 = Bucket seats.
J25 = 3-speed windshield wipers.
L31 = Hood/fender mounted turn signals.
M21 = Roof drip rail moldings.
M31 = Belt moldings.
N96 = Fresh air hood.
R11 = Solid state AM radio, (2 watts).
V7W = White accent stripes.
End = End of codes.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 01:21:30 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2016, 12:57:52 AM »

2013 Jeep Wrangler

Just about everything on this Jeep has been modified, including the suspension which has been fitted with air bags.

1965 Ford Mustang

This is a 289 Fastback car with an automatic transmission.

But my favorite aspect of the car is this wonderful color.  It may not be an unusual or radical color choice.  But I think it looks great on this car.

1966 Ford GT40

This is one of the most renown cars ever made.  The Ford GT project began in 1963 originally as a way to boost the performance image of Ford cars.  Chevrolet had the all new C2 Corvette, a wonderful piece of specialty high performance engineering that was truly a Chevrolet, (i.e. built on a Chevy assembly line with factory parts).  Its amazing success was rubbing off on the rest of the Chevrolet image.  Ford wanted that same thing - a halo car with a Ford badge.  

Carroll Shelby's Cobras that were incredibly fast, extremely successful in the racing world, and could be purchased from the local Ford dealer.  But they were more of an exotic hybrid, (the chassis and frame were built by AC Cars in London and shipped to Shelby American where the Ford V8 was installed).  Ford was looking for something along the lines of a Ferrari - a prestigious factory built car whose reputation spoke for itself.  The question became how could Ford do this without completely re-engineering all of its products.  

One solution was proposed - Ford will buy Ferrari.  Negotiations began and a predictable outcome was reached:  NO !  Ferrari backed out and the idea was shelved.

But from that idea came another:  If Ford can't buy Ferrari, then it will beat Ferrari at its own game.  The Ford Advanced Vehicles division was formed with the goal of dominating international road racing.  The rest, as is said, is history.  The Ford GT 40 project accomplished its goal by finishing 1-2-3 at LeMans in 1966 and first and fourth at LeMans in 1967.

A total of 133 cars were completed in several body designations, each of which is now worth a small fortune, (originals can sell for 8-figures).  But as is the case with a lot of legendary cars, replicas are widely available today.  Some are basic "kits" that are retrofitted onto an existing donor platform like a Pontiac Fiero.  Others are completely custom built with very impressive design and engineering that mimics the original in every detail, while at the same time fitted with modern technology.  

I wasn't able to confirm that this car is a replica.  But given the price tag of an original, it probably is, (although I've been told that there is an original in the area which makes me wonder .  .  .).  

This car is all business.  You will find no creature comforts of any kind here.

I didn't get a chance to ask any questions about the powerplant.  

But I did get to hear this car run, and it sounded as impressive as it looked !  

« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 05:49:39 PM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2016, 01:32:47 AM »

1932 Ford street rod

This stunning car features a Boss 547 V8 from Jon Kaase Racing Engines.

Jon Kaase Racing Engines of Winder, Georgia (about 20 minutes from Athens), specializes in a full line of custom built "Boss Nine" Engines based on the legendary Semi-Hemi Ford big block introduced in 1969.  Besides being a work of art to behold, his engines are capable of making some serious power.

The rest of the car was equally as stunning.

The Boss Nine sounded heavenly as you would expect.  This was another of my favorites from this show !  

1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme convertible

Having owned a 442, I've always been partial to the Olds Cutlass.  Convertibles are relatively rare with this car being one of 11,571 made that year.

1946 Ford rat rod

The "Rat Rod" is seen as an extension of the traditional Hot Rod concept, (i.e. a home-built car modified on a tight budget using whatever parts area available), but exaggerated in the way it accomplishes that goal.  Builders tend to take more of an artistic approach in the car's details, like the giant sword shifter seen in the photo below.

Cool car !  I like the raw approach.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 05:53:56 PM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2016, 01:53:32 AM »

1973 Volkswagen Bus

While often portrayed as the stereotypical Hippie's ride of choice, these vans have a very large following with a tremendous amount of support available.  I love the stickers !  Apparently, It is floored, and it can go slower.

And why can it go slower ?  The 66 hp produced by the 1.7L Flat 4-cylinder won't win many drag races.  Or climb hills. 

I love the unique idea for the van's headliner.

The headliner is made from old license plates from all over the United States, and including one from Puerto Rico.

1963 Cadillac Series 62 convertible

Just like the case of the Oldsmobile Cutlass above, I will always be partial to the Cadillac convertible having owned a 1965 model.  This particular car has all the goodies - air conditioning, power windows, power seat - and has had some work done to it recently. 

Power comes from Cadillac's 390 CID V8 that makes 325 hp.  But more impressive is the 430 ft-lbs of torque at a relatively low 3,100 rpm.

I didn't see them at first.  But the ghost flames were very subtle in nature and really well done.

More Corvettes

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2016, 06:27:38 PM »

1967 Ford Mustang

This is a very well done Pro Touring Mustang.

I don't know any of the engine specs, other than the car sounded really impressive.  I'm not sure what the "Stallion" lettering on the valve cover refers to.  There actually was a 1967 Stallion Mustang special model.  Eight cars were built specifically for Mainway Ford in Toronto Canada as promotional vehicles.  Those cars were assembled with tailights from the all new (at that time) Mercury Cougar.  There was also a Stallion Appearance Package available for the 1976 Mustang.

The interior on this car was absolutely stunning !

This was a restomod in every sense of the word.  While the interior retained its 1967 Mustang roots, every part of it has been upgraded in some way.  Kudos to the builder !

The interior theme carried over into the trunk.

And like a proper Pro Touring car, the builder didn't forget about the brakes, and fitted the car with a 4-wheel Baer upgrade kit.

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2016, 06:55:21 PM »

I mentioned earlier that the town square in Covington served as the focal point for the show, with the show field surrounding the square.

This is your traditional small town square that is seen often in this area.  It's beauiful !  In the center of the square sits a monument for Confederate Soldiers of Newton County.

The giant old Magnolia trees provided plenty of shade.

Tommy Landrum set up shop at one corner of the square.  Tommy and Cruzin' to the Oldies specializes in DJ services for car shows and cruise ins and is very well known in northern Georgia car show circles.  Besides handling the music for the event, Tommy also serves as the Master of Ceremonies and presents the awards and draws the tickets for the door prizes and 50/25/25 drawing.

Soon it came time for everyone to gather at the square for the Awards presentation.

These shows are usually judged, and plaques are given out to the "Top" show participants.  This show was quite large (well over 300 cars), so awards were given to the Top 100.   One of the award recipients was this young participant.

She won an award for her 1930 Ford Pedal Car.

I guess she was pretty stoked about it, and rightfully so.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 07:00:23 PM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2016, 07:50:08 PM »

Epilogue .  .  .

This was a great show, the perfect way to spend a Sunday afternoon.  As usual, I stuck around to catch a few sound clips of the cars as they were leaving.  The '32 Ford with the Boss 547 was my favorite !  I could listen to that all day.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctDkzwAXyzw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctDkzwAXyzw</a>

I want to thank everyone for reading along and hope you enjoyed the show .  .  .

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: