theautolounge.net
January 19, 2018, 07:22:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Cars of the Past car show, Covington, Georgia, October 2, 2016 . . .  (Read 2767 times)
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2016, 11:53:20 PM »

Cars of the Past car show, Covington, Georgia .  .  .
October 2, 2016

Another beautiful day, another car show !  I find myself doing the car show thing more frequently this summer than in recent years, which is good.  I've attended this particular show one time in the past, (back in October 2011), but as a spectator.  Today, I decided to clean the XJS up once again and park it in line with everyone else.

I've learned over this summer that my car seems to be a bug magnet.  Keeping the front end clean is more challenging than you may thing, especially since I drive the car regularly.

I've also learned that I really grow tired of cleaning wheels !  There are 11 slots in each wheel where brake dust gathers en masse.  Cleaning all 44 of them is an exercise in patience.  But the results are worth the effort.

The big 4.0L inline 6-cylinder engine just turned 45k original miles recently, and still purrs like it should.  Several people were surprised by the engine's physical size.  "That's the biggest 4.0L I've ever seen !" was the typical comment.  People are even more surprised when I tell them that a V12 was available by special order that fills the entire engine bay.  

This show is very large and actually held in the center of town, covering not only the entire town square, but each of the streets that connect to it.  The spaces around the square fill up almost instantly on the morning of the show.  I was parked on one of the side streets.

Time to get some exercise .  .  .

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 12:14:07 AM »

1969 Chevrolet Nova SS396

Parked a few spaces away from me was a very rare SS396 Nova.

The big-block was available in either 350 hp trim (RPO L34) or 375 hp trim, (RPO L78 - this car). 

Not sure if this car has the Muncie M21 4-speed or the Muncie M22 "Rock Crusher" heavy duty 4-speed.  But either way, it's a 4-speed ! 

Chevrolet produced a total of 5,262 Novas in 1969 with the L78 396 CID V8 making this car quite rare.  And this one was beautiful !

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 12:49:34 AM »

1968 Ford Mustang

I've been seeing a lot of entry level cars at shows recently, which is great !  This 1968 Ford Mustang is a perfect example.  The mighty 428 Cobra Jet V8 was installed in 1,299 Mustangs that year.  Those cars and anything with the Shelby name get all the attention.  But this car with its 120 hp 200 CID inline 6-cylinder engine was very nicely preserved.

This car also features the base 3-speed manual transmission.

Buyers who wanted to row through the gears manually, but didn't want to fork over an additional $185 stuck with the base 3-speed manual transmission.  Seeing one today is a rarity.

Speaking of Mustangs .  .  .

The new Mustang has amassed quite a following.  Several modified examples were on display.  The car shown above is a 2016 model that has been extensively modified.  The car shown below is a 2013 model.

The aftermarket loves the new Mustang !  Owners can add just about anything to their cars, including a Magnacharger featured on this car.

1968 Mercury Cyclone GT

I always thought Mercury did the fastback roof better than anyone else.  The car's lines are great ! 

This car features Mercury's 390 CID "Maurader" V8 and "Merc-O-Matic" automatic transmission.

This is a relatively rare car, 1 of 6,105 produced that year. 

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 01:20:03 AM »

1968 Camaro RS (L) and 1970 Monte Carlo (R)

The Camaro was heavily modified and sounded amazing.  I've seen the beautifully restored Monte Carlo at local shows before. 

Two nice 1957 Chevrolets .  .  .

I loved the interior of the blue car !  Even though the car was modified, the stock appearance has been retained on the interior.

Still more Mustangs .  .  .

The red car shown above is a 1965 model.  The blue car is a very interesting 1968 GT500 tribute.

At first glance, this looks like a nicely done tribute to the Shelby GT500.  But the modifications go much deeper !  The VIN identifies the car as a 1968 Mustang equipped with 195 hp 289 CID V8.

A new 5.0L "Coyote" V8 now resides under the hood.  Making this much-wider-than-a-289 monster fit required some extensive reworking of the front suspension.  Notice that the shock towers normally seen under the hood of a vintage Mustang are gone. 

While extremely impressive, this installation also raises a few questions.  I hope the power brake booster never needs to be replaced.

I could be wrong.  But it looks to me like the engine has to be removed to replace the booster. 

The photo below shows the battery has been placed in a rather tight spot.  It's located in the right front corner of the engine bay partially under the right front fender.  But it's also under the fuse/relay box and almost directly against the upper radiator hose, a/c line, and engine wiring harness.

Brake boosters don't go bad very often, but batteries do !  How much stuff needs to be removed to access this battery ?

And then there's the absolutely stunning interior.

The entire interior is lifted from a current Mustang.  At first, this reminds me of a new car fitted with a retro body kit.  But it isn't, (remember the VIN says this is a 1968 Mustang) !  Somehow, the brand new interior was fabricated to fit in the 1968 body shell.  Whoever did the interior fabrication work did a fantastic job.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 01:25:06 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 01:41:22 AM »

1963 Chevrolet Biscayne

This is the car the Beach Boys sang about in 1962.

The legendary 409 "W" motor makes 425 hp thanks to two 4bbl carburetors under the air cleaner.

The interior on this car is all business - bench seat, 4-speed manual transmission, and radio delete. 

According to the sign with the car, the interior is mostly new, and looks great.

I love the painted steelies and dog-dish hubcaps !

This is a stunning automobile !  And it's also for sale with an asking price of $42k.

1965 Chevrolet Malibu SS

This car has 427 badges on the fenders even though a 427 wasn't available in 1965.

In place of what probably was a 283 CID small block V8 now sits a 427 CID "Tri-Power" big block.

A 427 Tri-Power, 4-speed, and bench seat is an awesome combination !

The vintage wheels and red-line tires look great !

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 10:54:48 PM »

1968 Pontiac Firebird convertible

This is a relatively rare car, being one of 16,960 produced that year.  

1969 Dodge Charger "General Lee"

This was the first of two General Lee tribute cars at the show today.  Covington, Georgia is significant to the Dukes of Hazzard in that the first five episodes of the series were filmed here before production moved to California.

1964 Ford Galaxie 500

1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 tribute

This is a nicely done tribute to the first generation Z28.

A check of this car's cowl tag shows that it was built at the Norwood, Ohio assembly plant, and therefore has an "X Code."  The Norwood plant used these codes to identify special models, like the Z28 and SS396.  The tag on a genuine Z28 would show either X33 (with Style Trim option), or X77 (without Style Trim option).  The X11 code on this car's tag identifies it as either a base Camaro or an SS350 with Style Trim option.

Covington, Georgia town square

I made my way to the town square which was packed full of cars.  The roadway in front of me makes a complete circle around the town square.  And all the parking spaces were full !

Chevrolet Luv rat rod

The Chevy Light Utility Vehicle was manufactured by Isuzu and sold in North America through Chevrolet dealers.  This particular example seems to have strayed from its humble beginnings.

I don't know anything about the small block V8 that sits under where a hood should be other than it was very impressive looking.

Modifications continued to the back of the truck in the form of a narrowed rear differential and a set of giant tires.

The interior looks to have been left alone save a few performance oriented mods.  This truck was very well done.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 11:35:46 PM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 11:28:52 PM »

A row of Chevrolets

Across from the Luv pickup were a bunch of Chevrolet products.

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

I love these cars !  Seeing this car made me miss my 1991 Z28 I had many years ago.

1966 Chevrolet Nova

The "Chassisworks" name on the inner fender indicates Chris Alston's Chassisworks who specializes in racing components.  I don't know the specs on the modified small-block V8 under the hood other than it sounded really impressive.

This car looks to have been professionally built with drag racing in mind.

More Mustangs

A trio of really nice Mustangs sat down the row from the Chevrolets.  The middle car is a 2016 model that has been fitted with a Whipple supercharger. 

The car on the left is a 1969 fastback model.

The car on the right is a 1969 Mach I 428CJ

The mighty the 428 CID "Cobra Jet" V8 was laughably rated at 335 hp.  Actual output was rumored to be well north of 400 hp.

This is a relatively rare car, but not as rare as you may think.  First introduced in the Mustang in mid-year 1968, the 428 Cobra Jet V8 found 1,299 buyers.  By 1969, people had caught on to the fact that this was a serious performer.  Production increased to 13,261 cars.  It's interesting to note that the 428CJ outsold its 390 CID V8 little brother by almost 3,000 units.

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 11:50:05 PM »

1941 Ford

This is a 1941 Ford Tudor sedan.  It's had a few modifications made to it, but retains a mostly stock appearance on the inside.

A modern alternator and air conditioning were added at some point which required a custom mounting bracket.

I give the builder credit for the fabrication work. 

1956 Chevrolet 3100 Series 1/2 ton pickup

This is an absolutely flawless 1956 Chevy 3100 Series pickup.

This looked like a concours quality restoration.  Whoever did the work did a fantastic job.

The 265 CID V8 makes 155 hp.

The beautiful restoration continued to the inside.

Like other manufacturers, customers could add optional accessories their new Chevrolet.  The list of available accessories was quite long and featured a lot of what you hear the word "options."  But along with the more familiar items such as air conditioning, power windows, and power brakes, buyers could also add things like a tissue dispenser and an electric shaver.

This was a beautiful truck, and one of my favorites from the show.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 01:16:06 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 02:14:29 AM »

1951 Studebaker Champion Starlight Coupe

Studebaker introduced the 5-passenger Starlight coupe for the 1947 model year.  The name "Starlight" refers to the unique 4-panel rear window.

This was very forward-thinking styling for the era.  The shape of the rear window caused many people to remark how it was hard to tell if the car was coming or going.  That coupled with the new for 1950 "bullet nose" made the car seem very futuristic in those days.

This car was displayed with a bunch of supporting documentation, which is always great to see.

Power comes from a 170 CID Inline 6-cylinder makes 85 hp.

This was another beautifully restored car.

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 01:20:55 PM »

1967 Shelby GT500E "Eleanor"

H. B. Halicki's 1974 film "Gone in 60 Seconds" introduced the world to "Eleanor," a 1971 Ford Mustang that was updated with a 1973 Mach I body.  She was the star of the film and actually received a starring credit for her role.  When the movie was reimagined in 2000, star Eleanor became a 1967 Shelby GT500 so as to match the overall tone of the other vehicles in the film.  Several companies now offer commemorative edition "Eleanor-style" Mustangs built to the owner's specs.

New Dodge Challenger SRT-8 Hellcat

Ginn Chrysler Jeep Dodge of Covington, Georgia was one of the sponsors of the show and had a new Hellcat Challenger on display.

1965 Plymouth Barracuda

Even though Wild Bill Shrewsberry and Bob Riggle demonstrated that a blown injected Hemi would, indeed, fit in a 1965 Barracuda, (albeit over the rear wheels), Plymouth's 273 CID V8 that made 180 hp or 225 hp was the top option available from the factory.

1970 Chevrolet Corvette

1964 Plymouth Savoy Max Wedge

In the late 1950s, Chrysler engineers were hard at work developing high performance engine packages aimed at the racing world.  The original Hemi was discontinued during 1958/59 and replaced with Chrysler's new "B" and "RB" families of V8 engines that featured wedge-shaped combustion chambers.  The 413 CID "Maximum Performance Wedge" package became available in 1962 in mid-sized cars from Dodge and Plymouth.  Displacement was enlarged to 426 CID for 1963.  Dodge called their Maximum Performance Wedge the "Ram-Charger."  Plymouth used the name "Super Stock"  Both were rated for either 415 or 425 hp depending on compression ratio.  

Several major engine improvements were introduced mid-year in 1963 and resulted in the "Stage II" designation.  Further improvements were introduced for 1964 thus creating the Stage III engine.  

The Max Wedge package was available in all B-Body Dodges and Plymouths (except station wagons), including this Plymouth Savoy 2-door sedan.

The inside of the car was all business as expected for a race car with a license plate.  This car features a 4-speed manual transmission, bench seat, and radio delete.

A couple of the original books were with the car as well.

This is an extremely rare car, and was another of my favorites of the show.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 11:40:17 PM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2016, 08:54:50 PM »

1936 Dodge 5-window Business Coupe

Just about every aspect of this car has been modified in some way.

Beautiful car !

Golf cart "shuttle"

Registration for the show opened at 8 AM.  But if you arrived at that time, you were greeted with a large crowd.  People began arriving very early in hopes of getting a show space around the square.  Once parked, they would catch a ride on the "shuttle" to one of the nearby restaurants for breakfast.

1969 Dodge Charger "General Lee"

This was the second of two General Lee tribute cars at the show.  This car was extensively autographed.  Ben Jones, (Cooter), signed the air cleaner.

The inside of the trunk lid was filled with signatures from members of the cast and crew.

The late James Best, (Rosco P. Coltrane).

John Schneider, (Bo Duke).

Catherine Bach, (Daisy Duke).

1957 Chevrolet Bel Air convertible

This is a beautifully restored 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air convertible.

In an era when so many of these cars have been modified, it's quite refreshing to see one restored to stock. 

And this one was very well done !

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2016, 09:14:16 PM »

More Corvettes

1966 Ford Mustang

This was another of the many "base model" cars in attendance.  It may not be a K-Code fastback or Shelby.  But it was beautifully preserved.

1966 Chevrolet Corvair Monza

This is a very unusual Corvair for a few reasons.  The first of which was the unique battery saver.  At least I think it was a battery saver, not sure really.

Then I looked in the trunk expecting to find the standard issue 164 CID Flat-6 that normally occupies this space.  It's been replaced with a bunch of electronics, the exact nature of which is unknown.

Then there's the overall stance.  It just doesn't look right.

Well this explains a few things.

A small-block Chevrolet V8 now sits under the hood.  The builder put a lot of time and energy into fabricating a front-engine setup for a Corvair and did a wonderful job.  The car looked great !

1955 Ford Thunderbird

This was the car that almost caused Chevrolet to abandon the Corvette.  The T-Bird outsold the Corvette by almost 25 to 1, (16,155 T-Birds vs. 674 Corvettes in 1955).

A 292 CID V8 sits under the hood.  This car has a manual transmission which means the engine's output was 193 hp, (automatic cars had 198 hp).

« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 11:43:45 PM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2016, 10:04:13 PM »

1966 Pontiac GTO tribute

I took a horrendously blurry picture of the cowl tag which shows style code 23717 which is a LeMans hardtop.  A GTO hardtop would have style code 24217.  Regardless, this is a well done GTO tribute. 

1967 Chevrolet II Nova

I love the look of this car !  The painted steelies, dog-dish hubcaps, and redline tires are perfect.

2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1

Modern muscle has become quite popular at local car shows in this area.  Joining the large group of Mustangs and Corvettes was this ZL1 Camaro.  The updated version of the legendary COPO car comes with a supercharged 6.2L V8 that makes 580 hp.

1993 Chevrolet Corvette convertible 40th Anniversary edition

I really like the C4 Corvette convertible and have thought about one as a potential replacement for my "Beautiful Disaster" XK8.  Corvettes have always been powerful for their era, (this car has 300 hp).  Parts would definitely be cheaper and more widely available.  And support for the car is practically unlimited.  The only question I have is in regards to the ride quality.  I have to wonder how I would handle going from a wonderfully smooth Jaguar to something known as a kidney crusher.   

The Corvette turned 40 in 1993.  To commemorate the occasion, Chevrolet offered the RPO Z25 40th Anniversary Package and sold a total of 6,749 cars so equipped.

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 convertible

I was ready to make another comment about the "modern muscle" at the show until I realized that 1998 was almost 20 years ago.  Even more unbelievable is that fact that in not too many years from now, this car will be considered an "antique."

Chevrolet AK-Series

This is a very unusual Chevrolet AK-Series COE 'Cabover' truck, (COE stands for "cab over engine").  There was no display card in the truck, so I don't know the exact year.  But the Chevrolet AK-Series was built from 1941 - 1947.

This example appears to be carrying some interesting cargo.

1986 Mercedes-Benz 560SL

This was a beautiful 42k original mile car.  It was also for sale with a $22,500 asking price.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 11:47:36 PM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2016, 11:04:11 PM »

1970 Plymouth AAR 'Cuda

The AAR is a one-year only special edition 'Cuda that came exclusively with the 290 hp 340 CID "Six Barrel" V8.  A total of 2,724 were produced in 1970. 

1935 Buick Series 60

This Series 60 4-door sedan is quite rare, one of 1,792 produced that year.  The original 278 CID inline 8-cylinder engine has been replaced with a modern V8.

1978 Pontiac Trans Am

Most Trans Ams from this era featured either a "T/A 6.6" or "6.6 Litre" decal on the hood scoop which were used to indicate one of three engine options available in 1978.  The base engine, RPO L78, was a Pontiac derived V8 that made 180 hp and could be had with either an automatic or manual transmisson.  RPO L80 indicated a 403 CID Oldsmobile derived V8 that made 185 hp and was available only with an automatic transmission.  The top option was RPO W72, a 400 CID Pontiac derived V8 that made 220 hp with either an automatic or manual transmission.  The W72 cars got the "T/A 6.6" decal.  The L78 and L80 got the "6.6 Litre" decal in 1977, but didn't get a decal in 1978 unless the car was a Special Edition.  This Special Edition car with a "T/A 6.6" decal should be a 220 hp 400 CID V8 W72 car.

A copy of the original window sticker was displayed with the car.

Beautiful car !  I'd love to have one. 

1977 Pontiac Trans Am

Across from the 1978 Trans Am was a 1977 Pontiac Trans Am that was equally as beautiful. 

Smoky and the Bandit made this car famous and also a tremendous sales success with more than 68,000 sold that year.  This car was displayed with a few references to the movie.

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2016, 12:09:29 AM »

1968 Plymouth Suburban 6-passenger wagon

Chevrolet wasn't the only manufacturer using the "Suburban" name.  Plymouth applied the name to its full-size station wagon from 1949 - 1978.  The original bill of sale identifies the car as a 6-passenger wagon.  But it looks like there are more than 6 seats.

Speaking of which, the original bill of sale was one of the addition pieces of supporting documentation displayed with the car. 

Someone gave this car an interesting name.

According to the VIN, this car originally came with a 383 CID V8 that made 290 hp.  A supercharger was added at some point, which explains the "Betty Boost" name.

1950 Oldsmobile 88 coupe

This is a stunning 1950 Oldsmobile 88 coupe that has been beautifully restored.

The 304 CID V8 makes 135 hp.  It looks like you could go to the furthest corner of the engine compartment and eat off of it.

This was another of my favorites from the show.

1966 Pontiac GTO

This car has the optional 389 Tri-Power V8 that makes 360 hp.  Some of the codes on the fender tag are as follows:
~  10A = build date:  First week of October 1965.
~  ST 66 24217 = 1966 GTO Hardtop.
~  BAL 514 BODY = Baltimore assembly plant and Fisher Body Plant assembly code.
~  TR 223 = interior trim:  Black vinyl.
~  W2 PAINT = exterior paint codes:  Platinum with a Black vinyl top.

This car also has the optional automatic transmission.

And wherever you have GTOs, you have tigers.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: