theautolounge.net
January 18, 2018, 09:32:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cruise-In at The Varsity, Athens, Georgia, August 6, 2016 . . .  (Read 1346 times)
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« on: August 13, 2016, 12:24:13 AM »

Cruise-In at The Varsity, Athens, Georgia .  .  .
August 6, 2016

I cleaned the XJS up and hit the monthly show for August at The Varsity in Athens, Georgia.

You don't realize just how dirty your car is until you start cleaning it up for a show.  In my case, I spent forever trying to get the bugs off of the front end !

1987 Chevrolet Camaro Iroc-Z

This is an 11k original mile car that was loaded with just about everything available that year.

Modified Chevrolet Malibu

In addition to the small-block V8 under the hood, this car featured custom chameleon paint.  I always liked this type of paint that changed colors as you walk by.

2005 Ford Mustang

This V6/5-speed manual car was for sale for $8,995.

The green accent paint scheme was a custom job.

The matching color halo for the headlamps was a nice touch.

1991 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

This car had the optional 5.7L V8.  I loved this car !  I had a '91 Z28 with the 5.7L in Arrest-Me Red many years ago that would run 14.3s.  I won a trophy with that car .  .  .

« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 12:26:13 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 12:46:25 AM »

1968 Chevrolet Camaro RS/SS396

This car had the 325 hp 396 CID V8, (RPO L35), under the hood.

1963 Chevrolet Impala

1965 Pontiac GTO

This was a beautifully restored car !  The black paint looked quite well done.

The car was displayed with a copy of the original window sticker.  The options shown on the sticker should match what is shown on the cowl tag.

Speaking of which .  .  .

Starting at the top .  .  .
1C = build date:  Third week of January 1965.  I'm not sure what the "2" stands for.  The use of additional characters varied between assembly plants, the meanings of which have been lost to time.
ST 65-23727 = style code:  65 = 1965, 2 = Pontiac, 37 = LeMans, 27 = 2-door sport coupe.
PON = assembly plant:  Pontiac, Michigan.
1850 BODY = Fisher Body sequence number.
TR 213-B = interior trim:  Black bucket seats.
A-A PAINT = exterior paint codes:  Starlight Black upper and lower.
E = Group 1 accessories:  E = Tinted glass, all windows.
2LPR = Group 2 accessories:  L = 4-speed floor shift transmission, P = radio, R = rear seat speaker.
5NW = Group 5 accessories:  N = GTO option package, (identifies the car as a legit GTO), W = retractable seat belts.
8-1 = More of those "additional characters" mentioned above for which no information exists.

The window sticker indicates the car originally came with the 335 hp 389 CID 4bbl V8.  At some point, the car was upgraded to the 360 hp 389 CID "Tri-Power" V8.

The "2L" code on the cowl tag indicates a 4-speed floor shift transmission.  The 4-speed was also indicated on the window sticker as a $188.30 option.

1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle

This car was displayed with a bunch of supporting documentation.

This was another beautifully restored car !

The 1.6L air cooled Flat-4 makes 60 hp .  .  .

« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 12:48:49 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 01:36:36 AM »

1963 Ford Falcon Sprint

Technically, this is a 1963 1/2 model.  The Sprint was introduced mid-year and was the only way a V8 could be ordered in a Falcon.

The 260 CID V8 made 164 hp.

1961 Chevrolet Impala

This car featured the 348 CID "Tri-Power" V8.  I don't know for sure which 348 this is.  The Tri-Power setup was available in 280 hp trim and 350 hp trim. 

This is a factory 4-speed car.

Suzuki Samurai

I believe this is a 1985 Suzuki Samurai.  The original 1.3L inline 4-cylinder engine was ditched in favor of a modified small-block Chevrolet V8.  The installation looks quite well done.

1956 Chevrolet 210

1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

The Z28 was created to qualify the Camaro for Trans Am Series racing where engine size was limited to 5.0L.  The 302 CID V8 found only in the Z28 was rated for 290 hp.  But tests from back in the day seem to indicate the engine's actual output was over 400 hp.

All Z28s came with a 4-speed manual transmission .  .  .

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 09:29:07 PM »

1951 Ford

The side trim seems to suggest a mid-level Custom Sedan, (as opposed to an entry level Deluxe or top of the line Crestliner or Victoria).  The 239 CID flathead V8 makes 100 hp.

This was a beautiful car !  The restoration was really well done.  

1966 Chevrolet II Nova

I don't know what big-block resides under the hood other than it's heavily modified and sounded really impressive !

1966 Dodge Charger

I photographed this car at last month's show, although quite poorly.  These pics are much less blurry !

Last month, I didn't know what V8 resided under the hood.  

A check of the fender tag indicated the presence of the 230 hp 318 CID V8.

I've said before that Chrysler is a bit goofy with fender tags, starting with the fact that the tag on a Mopar is read from the bottom up.  

On the 1966 fender tag, the bottom row is reserved for the basic information about the car:  
SO NUMBER - This is the car's build date and Shipping Order Number:  C30 = December 30, 1965, 09444 = Shipping Order Number.
BDY - body code:  X = Dodge Charger, P = premium price class, 29 = 2-door sports hardtop, (all Chargers are XP29).
TRM - Interior trim code:  P = premium trim, 4 = vinyl bucket seat, X = black.
PAINT - exterior paint code:  QQ = dark red metallic upper and lower, 1 = monotone paint, B = black accent roof stripe, B = black upper interior door paint color, (in cases where the car does not have a full door trim panel, the exposed metal is painted a matching color).

The middle row of all capital letters shows several corresponding numbers various places.  These relate to options installed on the car.  The "A" and "B" numbers are combined for the engine code:
AB41 = engine code:  230 hp 318 CID V8.
C5 = Torqueflite automatic transmission.
R1 = Music Master AM radio.

The top row of lower case letters and the corresponding numbers below them also relate to installed options:  
a6 = center console.
b4 = bucket seats.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 12:16:11 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 10:18:08 PM »

More Mopars

Above are a 1964 Plymouth Barracuda (L) and a 1966 Plymouth Belvedere II (R).  Introduced on April 1, 1964, the Barracuda beat the Ford Mustang to market by two weeks.  But that didn't matter as more than 22,000 Mustangs were sold on its first day, compared to 23,433 Barracudas sold during the entire 1964 model year.

The Belvedere II was the mid-level trim option for the Belvedere line, (in between the entry level Belvedere I and the top of the line Satellite).

The Belvedere could be equipped with 5 different V8s, from the 190 hp 273 CID all the way up to the mighty Hemi.  I'm not sure which V8 resides under this particular hood, other than a really clean one.

1965 Plymouth Fury III

1955 Studebaker Champion

The Champion was available in three trim levels:  The entry level Custom, mid-level DeLuxe, and upper level Regal.  The elaborate side trim makes me think this is a Regal sedan.

This looked like a very original car that has been nicely preserved.

1962 Chevrolet Corvette

This was the final year for the C1 body which would be replaced by the revolutionary "Split Window" C2 for 1963.  This car was beautifully restored .  .  .

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 10:38:16 PM »

A pair of 1960 Chevrolet Impalas

The white car was equipped with the 335 hp 348 CID Tri-Power V8.

The 335 hp V8 and 4-speed manual transmission combination made this car quite a runner back in the day.

The red car is also a 348 CID Tri-Power V8 car.

The Tri-Power was available in 280 hp, 335 hp, and 350 hp variations in 1960.  Not sure which one this is.

"Out past the cornfields where the woods got heavy,
Out in the back seat of my '60 Chevy.
Workin' on mysteries without any clues,
Workin' on our night moves"

- Bob Seger -

Pontiac Fiero GT

I had an '86 GT in bright red many years ago.  Great car !

1978 Pontiac Trans Am

The 1977 - 79 Trans Am is often seen with either a "T/A 6.6" decal, (this particular car), or a "6.6 LITRE" decal on the shaker hood scoop.  The debate over the difference between the two has existed for decades.  The general thinking is that the "T/A 6.6" decal should indicate the 400 CID Pontiac derived V8, and the "6.6 LITRE" decal should indicate the 403 CID Oldsmobile derived V8.  This is mostly correct.  For 1977, only the W72 400 CID Pontiac V8 cars got the "6.6 T/A" decal.  The L78 400 CID Pontiac V8 and L80 403 CID Oldsmobile V8 cars both got the "6.6 LITRE" decal.  For 1978, the W72 cars still got the "T/A 6.6" decal.  But the L78 and L80 cars didn't get a decal on the hood scoop, (the exception being the Special Edition cars).  For 1979, the W72 cars got the "T/A 6.6" decal, and the L80 cars got the "6.6 LITRE" decal, (the L78 option disappeared in 1979).  So this '78 with a "T/A 6.6" decal should be a 220 hp 400 CID V8 W72 car.

1949 Pontiac Streamliner Woodie Wagon

The "Silver 8 Streak" badge indicates the 249 CID inline 8-cylinder engine that made 106 hp.

Woodie wagons are pretty rare to begin with.  But 1949 was the last year for a Pontiac Woodie making them even more scarce.  Production has been estimated at around 1,000.

In an era when a manufacturer was identified with a particular style of hood ornament or "mascot," Pontiac's "Indian Chief" was well known.

I want to thank everyone for reading and hope you enjoyed the show.  I know I did because I was selected as one of the "Top Twenty," and took home a nice plaque for the honor .  .  .

« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 11:05:20 PM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: