theautolounge.net
January 18, 2018, 09:27:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cruise-in at The Varsity, Athens, Georgia, July 2, 2016 . . .  (Read 1088 times)
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2016, 11:45:58 PM »

Cruise-in at The Varsity, Athens, Georgia .  .  .
July 2, 2016

I haven't been to a show at The Varsity in a long while for no reason other than I just haven't made time to attend one of the monthly shows.  The weather was cooperating quite nicely on this holiday weekend.  I cleaned the XJS up a bit and decided to check out the show.  The entry fee was still a mere $5 per car.  Participants get a ticket for a chance to win various door prizes.  Other tickets can be purchased for the 50-25-25 cash drawing.  And Tommy Landrum plays a lot of good music.

I've owned this car coming up on 5 years now.  What started out as 31k original miles has now become 44k miles, all of which have been very pleasant.  The one or two hiccups I've encountered in that time have all been minor in nature and easily fixed.  It still shines beautifully when cleaned up.  And I continue to smile each time I get behind the wheel.

Time to check out the show .  .  .
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 01:56:23 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 12:07:59 AM »

1969 Shelby GT500 convertible

I parked in front of what appears to be an extremely rare 1969 Shelby GT500 Mustang convertible.

If it's legit, this car would be one of 335 produced that year.

The 428 Cobra Jet V8 was rated at a laughable 335 hp.  Actual output was well north of 400 hp.

According to the For Sale sign on the dash, this car could be purchased for $55k.  This seems awfully low, (Shelby convertibles sell for well into the 6 figures), and makes me wonder if it's a tribute car.  Either way, it was quite beautiful.

A Mini Cooper from Mini Tec

Mini Tec from about an hour up the road in Royston, Georgia is a company that specializes in Honda VTEC engine swaps for the original Mini.  The Honda VTEC power plant makes about 180-or-so hp in stock tune which, in this tiny car, makes for some exhilarating performance.

Mini Tec's website advertises their cars as being capable of zero to 60 mph in under 4 seconds.  That would be quite a wild ride !

2011 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Carbon Fiber Edition

The Carbon Fiber Edition Z06 is basically a ZR1 Corvette without the supercharged engine or transparent hood.  Power comes from 7.0L naturally aspirated V8 that only makes 505 hp (as opposed to the 638 hp produced by the supercharged 6.2L V8 in the ZR1).  Only 535 cars were equipped with the Carbon Fiber Package in 2011 .  .  .

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 12:16:47 AM »

1966 Datsun 1600

Now here's something you don't see very often.  Datsun made around 40,000 of these roadsters from 1961 - 1969.  Seeing one today, especially in this condition, is quite rare.

Power comes from Datsun's 1.6L inline 4-cylinder engine that makes 96 hp.

That may not seem like much.  But the car's 2,100 pound curb weight made performance surprisingly good.

This car was absolutely stunning and won a "Best in Cruise" award.

1965 Chevrolet Corvette

I'm guessing this car has been modified quite a bit considering you could hear it coming before you could see it.

DeLorean

John DeLorean produced his DMC-12 gullwing in 1981 and 1982.  The 130 hp produced by the 2.9L "PRV" V6 was pretty typical for the "Dark Ages" of that time.  The car's appeal was more visual in nature.  The stainless steel body and gullwing doors always got people's attention.

The DeLorean became an overnight sensation thanks to its appearance in the Back to the Future movies. 

This car was displayed with that theme in mind.

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 12:29:10 AM »

1957 Chevrolet Bel Air

I've commented before that in an era when so many of these cars have been modified, seeing an original is quite refreshing.  This car looks like it has been well maintained over the years.

1962 Chevrolet Bel Air

This was a heavily modified car that looked great.  Power comes from a giant 8.2L V8.

The transmission is a 5-speed manual Tremec unit.  Other than the gauges, the power window and lock switches on the door, and the a/c vents, the interior retains its stock appearance.

This was another beautifully restored/modified machine.

1931 Cadillac Eight Coupe

This is a Series 355A car, which designates a V8.  The copy of the build sheet shown below shows Fisher Body code 31258, which is a 2 door coupe.  But the best part of this car is that it was a gift to the car owner from his grandfather in 1959. 

At some point, the original 95 hp 5.8L V8 was replaced with a modern Cadillac drivetrain which looks like a 472 or 500 CID V8 from the 1970s.

This is a very rare car !  It's good to see that it was modified using Cadillac parts .  .  .

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 12:47:36 AM »

1966 Dodge Charger

While the 1966 and 1967 Chargers may look almost identical on the outside, the 1966 model above lacks the fender-mounted turn signal indicators used in 1967.  Chrysler did a good job with the interior on the Charger.  This is a true 4-seat car.

I didn't see the car owner to ask what engine this is.  But it's obviously not a Hemi.  The 318, 361, & 383 CID V8s were all available in 1966.

1968 Oldsmobile 442

For 1968, the 442 was given its own style code - 344_7, (the missing digit indicated a convertible (6), sport coupe (7), or hardtop (8 ).  This car has the under-bumper scoops for the RPO W30 Outside Air Induction system.

The scoops under the front bumper fed outside air directly into the twin snorkel air cleaner via a pair of 4 inch ducts.

A legit W30 car would be quite rare.  But, all W30s had red plastic inner fender liners, which this car does not have.  I am also reading where the W30 did not come with power brakes because the cam used in the engine didn't produce enough vacuum to operate the booster.  Regardless, this car was beautiful and sounded great !

Chevrolet Nova

I've always been a big fan of the "sleeper" look.  Painted steel wheels and dog dish hubcaps used on 1960s muscle cars were a good distraction to what may or may not be hiding under the hood.  The low profile tires lets you know something is up with this car.  A modern LS derived V8 now resides under the hood.

And just like a proper "sleeper," this car sports a 4-speed manual transmission and a mostly stock interior appearance.

1970 Plymouth AAR 'Cuda

I saw this car back in May at the Crystal Hills car show over Memorial Day.  It's one of approximately 385 cars finished in FE5 Rallye Red paint.

1969 Plymouth Road Runner convertible

This Road Runner also appeared at the Crystal Hills show back in May.  This is a rare car, one of 1,111 383/automatic convertibles produced that year.

Custom bicycles

Several custom bicycles were on display.  The blue bike sports some kind of suspension modification that allows for a "low rider" appearance.  All of these creations were very well done.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 02:02:08 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 01:10:18 AM »

1981 Chevrolet Corvette

The 1980 - 82 C3 is my favorite Corvette from a styling perspective.  I had a silver '81 many years ago and miss it tremendously.

More Corvettes

Speaking of Corvettes, several newer models were in attendance.  The car on the right in the photo above is a new C7.

The convertible in the middle was especially interesting.

The 5.7L V8 that made 350 hp in stock trim now makes 547 hp thanks to the addition of a Vortec supercharger.

New Z06 Chevrolet Corvette

I'm starting to see more and more C7 Corvettes around town.  This is a new 650 hp Z06 model.  That much horsepower requires a lot of stopping power.

And all that stopping power will cost you a bundle.  A set of front brake pads can be bought for around $600.  Rear brake pads are slightly cheaper at $550.  The carbon ceramic brake rotors appear to be around $1,700 each.  That means a 4-wheel brake job can cost around $7,950 plus labor !   The good news is that I'm reading where the rotors are supposed to last quite a long time, (i.e. 5 sets of brake pads or so).

1956 Chevrolet Bel Air

This is a beautiful Tri-5 Chevy that has been extensively modified.

Power comes from a 6.2L LS3 V8 with 8-stack fuel injection.

The car has also been significantly upgraded on the interior with creature comforts such as power windows, a/c, and a killer stereo.

The transmission is a 6-speed Tremec T56 Double Overdrive .  .  .

« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 01:18:01 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 01:27:19 AM »

1966 Ford Galaxie 500XL convertible

This is actually a rare car, (one of 6,360 produced that year).

1966 Pontiac GTO

This was another beautifully restored car !

The combination of the 360 hp 389 CID V8 and 4-speed manual transmission makes this car quite desirable.

While no production records exist that show a specific body style/engine/transmission breakdown, it is known that the 360 hp 389 Tri-Power V8 was installed in 19,045 GTOs in 1966, which is roughly 20 % of the total.

1964 Buick LeSabre wagon

I love these old wagons because I grew up in the era where Mom drove one.  The amount of stuff I could fit in the back of that typical family station wagon still boggles the mind after all these years - sheets of plywood, scaffolding, bags and bags of mulch, etc.  My brother played in a rock band in high school.  I would grab Mom's wagon and haul all of their equipment to wherever they were scheduled to play.  And I mean all of their equipment !   Guitars, amplifiers, the entire drum kit, and speakers all fit in the back.  Great memories !

1965 Ford Galaxie 500 convertible

Dodge Viper

This car is powered by an 8.3L V10, or 505 CID, hence the "505" designation.

Awesome car !  One of my favorites .  .  .

« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 02:16:58 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 01:41:17 AM »

Row of Chevrolets, (and one Pontiac)

Polaris Slingshot SL

The Polaris Slingshot is a 3-wheeled motorcycle powered by a GM 2.4L Ecotec 4-cylinder engine that makes 173 hp.  But the vehicle's 1,750 pound curb weight means zero to 60 mph takes less than 5 seconds.  Prices start at around $20k.

I'm starting to see a few of these around town and I've got to admit that I'm quite intrigued.  I could see myself driving one of these to work every day.

1965 Ford Mustang fastback

The a/c compressor is an aftermarket item.  But everything else has been restored to stock, right down to the original style hose clamps.

Take note of Carroll Shelby's signature on the glove box door.  I believe his signature could be obtained with a donation to his Foundation.  I installed a piece of trim on a new Shelby GT500 for a customer at Machens Ford.  He purchased a replacement trim panel from our Parts Department and sent it to Shelby along with the appropriate donation. 

Ford Model A street rod

This car features period-correct wire wheels and a Flathead V8.

I also love the fact that the interior has been left stock-appearing .  .  .

« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 11:40:20 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 01:54:01 AM »

Austin-Healey Sprite

And now I present the happiest car on the planet - the Austin-Healey Sprite.  It's impossible to look at that giant grin and not be happy !

This is another beautifully restored car.

In typical British style, the .95L inline 4-cylinder engine makes a mere 43 hp.  But the car's 1,500 pound curb weight allows for a surprising level of acceleration and nimble handling.

1964 Chevrolet Nova SS gasser

The term "gasser" refers to a drag racing class where vehicles run on gasoline, (as opposed to nitromethane).  Every weight saving trick in the book was used to make the cars lighter, including a solid beam front axle which was lighter than the typical independent suspension.

I don't know if this is an actual race car from back in the day or a tribute.  But it was very well done.  I love the fenderwell headers !

Awesome car !

1969 Plymouth Belvedere police car

This is a 1969 Plymouth Belvedere police car from Baker's Gap, Tennessee.  I don't know if it is an actual former patrol car or a tribute.  But it had working lights and an authentic siren.

I want to thank everyone for reading.  These monthly events at The Varsity are always a good time.  I hope you enjoyed the show as much as I did .  .  .
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 01:55:52 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: