theautolounge.net
January 18, 2018, 09:29:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Crystal Hills Memorial Day car show, May 30, 2016 . . .  (Read 874 times)
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2016, 12:58:23 AM »

Crystal Hills Memorial Day car show .  .  .
May 30, 2016

Residents of the Crystal Hills neighborhood of Athens, Georgia host a Memorial Day Celebration every year.  What began in 2009 as a simple get-to-know-your-neighbors gathering for the Memorial Day holiday has evolved into quite a large Memorial Day Celebration that features an invitation-only car show.  The 8th annual event was held on Monday May 30, 2016.  I didn't get to see the show last year and decided to check it out today.

1955 Ford Fairlane

For whatever reason, the Ford Fairlane from the 1950s seems to be quite popular around here.  Several were on display today including this 1955 model.  In an era when so many of these cars have been modified into street rods, I find it refreshing to see one restored to original.  Other than the chrome brake booster and master cylinder, everything else appears to be stock.

1968 Chevrolet Nova

The badge on the front fender say "396."  But I'm not sure to what extent the car has been modified.  The black paint on this car was beautiful !

It's like I'm looking in a black mirror.  And this was a very smooth black mirror with no waves !

1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS454

Chevellestuff.net says a total of 8,773 cars left the factory with the RPO Z15 SS454 package in 1970.  Two versions of the 454 were available.  The more famous 450 hp RPO LS6 was installed in 4,475 cars.  This car is one of the remaining 4,298 cars that were equipped with the RPO LS5 454 that made 360 hp. 

1984 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

I give credit to whoever did the modifications on this car.  Along with the expected engine modifications, this builder was also thinking about the brakes and upgraded them accordingly.

1965 Chevrolet Impala Sport Coupe

Raymond Roundtree purchased this car new in March 1965 and still owns it 51 years later.  The car remains a completely original 327/4-speed car with a bench seat .  .  .

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 12:59:12 AM »

1969 Pontiac Firebird (L) and 1970 Chevrolet Nova (R)

There were two 1969 Firebirds at the show today, both of which looked great.

1965 Chevrolet Corvette

This is the first of two 1965 Corvettes on display.  Power comes from the 365 hp version of the 327 CID V8, (RPO L76). 

1969 Ford Mustang GT

This may look like an ordinary Mustang from a distance until you get close enough to see the 428 Cobra Jet V8 under the hood.

In an era when automakers were known to underrate horsepower figures, the 7.0L Cobra Jet was rated at a laughable 335 hp.  Actual output was well north of 400 hp.

Kevin Marti is to Ford products what Albert Einstein is to Theoretical Physics.  A Marti Report is the best way to verify the authenticity your Ford product. 

Kevin is able to take the identification numbers from your car and provide a detailed analysis of how it was originally equipped.  According to the numbers, this car is the only one produced in 1969 with that specific combination of options.

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air

This is another beautiful Tri-5 Chevrolet that has been restored to original.

1931 Chevrolet street rod

1956 Chevrolet 210

Chevrolet offered three trim levels in the 1950s:  150 (entry level), 210 (mid-level), and Bel Air (luxury).

1963 Ford Thunderbird

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 02:18:54 AM »

A pair of Austin-Healeys:  1963 3000 MK II (L) and 1954 100 (R)

The blue 1954 Austin-Healey 100 has been beautifully restored and is seen regularly at shows in the Athens area.  The name "100" is a reference to the car's ability to reach 100 mph.  Power comes from a 2.7L inline 4-cylinder engine that makes 90 hp.  That may not seem like a lot until you consider the fact that the car only weighs around 2,100 pounds.  This combination resulted in surprisingly peppy performance including a top speed of 106 mph.

The red/silver 3000 Mk II's official model number is "BJ7."  The Mk II was originally introduced in 1961 as either a 2-seat "BN7" or a 2+2 "BT7."  The "BJ7" model was created when engine upgrades were introduced the following year. 

Power comes from a 2.9L inline 6-cylinder engine that makes around 132 hp.  Combining that with the MK II's 2,500 curb weight produced a good performing car with a top speed near 110 mph.

1970 Plymouth AAR 'Cuda

"AAR" stood for All American Racers, which was the name of Dan Gurney's Trans Am racing series team.  Gurney drove a Plymouth Barracuda in the 1970 season.  Plymouth produced 2,724 commemorative AAR edition 'Cudas during the 1970 model year.  Approximately 385 of those were painted Rallye Red.

The car's Trans Am series racing lineage is seen on the fender tag.   

Mopar fender tags are read from the bottom up .  .  .

bottom row
E55 = 340 CID "Six-Barrel" V8
D32 = Heavy duty automatic transmission
BS23 = Plymouth Barracuda (B), Special model (S), 2-door hardtop (23)
J0B = 290 hp 340 CID V8 w/3x2bbl (J), 1970 (0), Hamtramck, MI assembly plant (B)
294099 = Sequence number

next row up
FE5 = Exterior paint:  Rallye Red
H6X9 = Interior trim:  High grade (H), Vinyl bucket seats (6), black (X9)
000 = Upper door frame:  Full door panel
403 = Build date:  April 3, 1970
M03289 = Order number

next row up
V1X = Roof type/color:  Full vinyl top, black
A01 = Light package
A21 = Elastomeric color front bumper group
A53 = Trans Am package
A62 = Rallye instrument cluster
351 = Unknown - the only reference I can find to a code 351 is for Basic Wheels from 1962 - 68

next row up
C16 = Center console
C55 = Bucket seats
G36 = Outside mirrors:  Left hand remote, right hand manual
J45 = Hood tie-down pins
J82 = Rear duck tail spoiler
L31 = Hood/fender mount turn signals

next row up
M21 = Roof drip rail moldings
M88 = Quarter panel tape treatment
N44 = Standard exit AAR exhaust
N85 = Tachometer
N94 = Fiberglass fresh air hood

next row up
R11 = Music Master AM radio
V6H = Longitudinal Trans Am stripes
Y05 = Built to US specifications
26 = 26 inch radiator
EN1 = End of codes, first tag

Not only was this car fully documented, it was also beautifully restored.

1979 Dodge 'Lil Red Express pickup

Dodge produced 5,118 'Lil Red Express pickups in 1979, more than double the number produced in 1978. 

1969 Plymouth Road Runner convertible

A copy of the window sticker was displayed with the car.  The option codes seen on the sticker should match those found on the fender tag.

Plymouth produced 1,111 Road Runner convertibles with the 383 CID V8 and automatic transmission making this car quite rare.

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 03:02:19 PM »

1955 Chevrolet 3600 truck

The 3600 Series was the 3/4 ton model of the Advanced-Design truck platform from 1947 - 1955.  The original inline 6-cylinder engine has been replaced by an LS1 V8 and 4L60E automatic transmission.  I give someone credit for creativity for the upper radiator "hose" design.

1984 Porsche 928

1957 Chevrolet Bel Air 2-door sedan (L), and Bel Air Townsman wagon (R)

This pair of 1957 Chevrolet Bel Airs appear to have been modified in the same style.  The photo below shows the engine compartment of the wagon.

Comparing that to the engine compartment of the sedan, I see some slight differences, (the master cylinder and brake booster, as well as the shape of the a/c condenser).  But the overall style seems to be the same.

1966 Chevrolet Malibu SS396

Several SS396s were on display.  This car is an original 1966 model with the 360 hp 396 CID V8 and 4-speed manual transmission.

Starting at the top left corner of the cowl tag:
04C = build date:  3rd week of April 1966.  
ST 66-13817 = 1966 Malibu SS.  This verifies the authenticity of the car.
ATL = Atlanta, Georgia assembly plant.
11307 BODY = Fisher Body unit number
TR 731-B = Interior trim code:  Medium Bright Blue Imitation Leather bucket seats.  
F-F PAINT = Exterior paint code:  Marina Blue (lower and upper).
E = Accessory group 1 option code E:  Tinted glass (all)
2QGSR = Accessory group 2 option codes:  Q = 4-speed manual transmission, G = center console, S = rear antenna, R = rear speaker.

1969 Pontiac Firebird convertible

This is the second of two 1969 Firebirds on display.  This car features a 428 CID V8 under the hood.

A 428 was never installed in a Firebird at the factory.  But the superb quality of this restoration/modification makes it look like Pontiac put it there.

Series 2 Jaguar E-Type Fixed Head Coupe

This car is one of 3,785 Series IIs produced with a fixed head roof (FHC) in left hand drive (LHD) .  .  .

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 03:22:38 PM »

1962 Ford Thunderbird

This is a beautifully restored car with the 390 CID V8 and factory air conditioning.  The 3rd generation Thunderbird has always been a favorite of mine.  Ford stylists did a great job with the interior design.  This car features the popular Swing-Away Steering Column.  With the shift lever in Park, the whole steering column moves about 10 inches to the right to allow for easier ingress/egress.

1924 Marmon Model 34C 6-Passenger Phaeton.

Marmon was a builder of high-end luxury cars from 1902 to 1933 whose products were known for being well engineered and good performing.  The company was known for its innovative use of aluminum, especially in its engines.  Marmon cars were lighter, and as a result, faster than a lot of their counterparts. 

This car carries Marmon's 340 CID Inline 6 cylinder engine that makes 84 hp, (a good bit in 1924).

Marmon began development of the first V16 automobile engine in 1927.  Cadillac beat them to the production line by one year, (Marmon couldn't begin production until 1931).  These cars are extremely rare and highly sought after today.

A row of beautifully restored Ford Model As

1987 Tiffany

Classic Motor Carriages was a kit car maker out of Miami, Florida in the 1980s and 1990s.  Along with kit cars, CMC also offered a neoclassic Tiffany.  The pre-war inspired body is mounted on a contemporary chassis, in this case, a 1987 Mercury Cougar.  This means a Tiffany can actually be driven on a regular basis and serviced at any Ford dealer.  CMC eventually went through a bunch of legal trouble and closed its doors in the late 1990s.  The company reappeared under the name Street Beasts, but closed in 2010.

1960 Edsel Ranger

This was the final year of Edsel's brief production run.  Any 1960 Edsel is quite rare, (a total of 2,846 were built).  This 4-door sedan is one of 1,288 made.

1959 Ford Galaxie Skyliner

This is the famed "Retractable Hardtop" convertible produced by Ford from 1957 - 1959.

I spent a few minutes chatting with the car owner, who is also the original owner.  This car was a gift from his father when he turned 21 years old.  It's been driven regularly over the last 57 years, (he told me about the studded snow tires he used to have for it !), and has since been given a full frame-off restoration .  .  .

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 03:33:00 PM »

Mercedes-Benz 220S coupe

1970 Oldsmobile 442 W30 convertible

Oldsmobile built 2933 442 convertibles in 1970.  Only 264 of those convertibles came with the W-30 option.  Of that total, only 126 were produced with an automatic transmission with the Hurst Dual Gate Shifter, which this car has.

1956 Ford Fairlane Victoria

1933 Willys AA/Gas tribute

In the mid-1950s, Robert "Bones" Balogh was spending a lot of time at Lions Drag Strip in Los Angeles racing a '38 Chevy, and later a '49 Chevy with a 283 CID V-8.  Bones developed a friendship with Ed Iskendarian, (i.e. Isky Cams), and eventually got a job with Isky building engines.  This not only paid the bills, but also allowed Bones hone his racing skills as well. 

In the early 1960s, "Bones" was running an A/Gas 1941 Willys with a Chrysler Hemi V8 that was capable of high 9s.  Later, he met Gary Dubach who had a 1933 Willys.  That car ran well with its 364 CID Chevrolet V8, but was instantly transformed when the third name on the door, Joe Pisano, brought a 465 CID Chrysler Hemi V-8 to the party.  Bones tuned the engine and dropped it into the Willys.  Once it quit snapping axles, (six in one day of testing !), it eventually put down a 9.38 @ 155 mph.

Believe it or not, the car owner drives this car to all the shows.  It reportedly gets around 4 mpg, not that this matters.

1930 Ford Model A street rod

1965 Chevrolet Corvette

1962 Chevrolet Corvette

I'm not sure what you would want to tow with a Corvette.  But there's a hitch in place just in case.

1960 Chevrolet Impala

Motivation comes from a rare tri-carb version of Chevrolet's 348 CID V8 "W" motor, (so named because of the shape of the valve covers), mated to a 4-speed manual transmission.

"Out past the cornfields where the woods got heavy,
Out in the back seat of my '60 Chevy,
Workin' on mysteries without any clues,
Workin' on our night moves."

- Bob Seger -

« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 02:30:48 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 04:02:04 PM »

1967 Chevrolet Malibu SS396

I came across a row of Chevrolet Chevelle Malibus.  The black car is a 1967 SS396 that has "427" badges on the front fenders. But the mighty 427 wasn't available in the Chevelle in 1967.

The big block is mated to a 4-speed manual transmission.

Another 1967 Chevrolet Malibu SS396

The blue car is also a 1967 SS396.  This car has 396 badges on the front fenders, which was a factory option for the Malibu in 1967.

It may say "396" on the fenders.  But under the hood lies a massive 502 CID Big Block V8.

1965 Chevrolet Malibu SS

The white car is a 1965 Malibu SS.  It isn't one of the 201 cars equipped with RPO Z16, (those 396/375 hp cars are worth a small fortune today).  But it is a beautifully restored 327 CID V8 car.

1955 Ford Thunderbird

1957 Ford Thunderbird

I don't think I've seen one in this rather unusual bright yellow color.  Personally, I like it !

Ferrari F348

This car was parked along the road and wasn't actually part of the show.  But it's still beautiful !  It's a shame they are such a nightmare to own.

1953 Jaguar XK 120 roadster

The legendary Jaguar XK Series was introduced in 1948 and was available as a coupe, convertible, and roadster (this car).  I love this dark burgundy color !

« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 04:07:30 PM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 04:28:04 PM »

Well this looks familiar !

This 1996 Jaguar XJS convertible in Carnival Red is practically identical to mine.  This car has a few more miles, (my car has 43k as of this writing).  And the factory audio unit is still in place on this car.  I wanted to chat with the car owners.  But they were walking through the show at the time.

1965 Ford Mustang

This car was beautifully restored to original.

Power comes from a 289 CID V8 mated to a 4-speed manual transmission.

1973 Ford Bronco

This car has been in the same family since new, and was recently treated to a frame-off restoration.

1963 Chevrolet Corvette

Lamborghini replica (L) and DeLorean (R)

The iconic design of the Lamborghini Countach is a popular car to replicate.  I don't know who made this particular kit, (or even if it's an actual "kit").  But this is one replica that appears to have some muscle to back up the looks.

1965 Chevrolet Impala SS convertible

1965 was a great year for General Motors products, especially the full-size cars like the Impala.  The design department did a great job.

Fisker Karma

This is the first time I've seen one of these cars.  The Fisker Karma is a very expensive plug-in hybrid electric vehicle.  Production was scheduled to begin in 2009, but was delayed into 2011.  Around 2,450 Karmas were produced through November 2012 when production ceased due to financial problems.  The company declared bankruptcy one year later.  Chinese auto parts maker Wanxiang bought the company's assets in 2014.

1969 Chevrolet Chevelle SS396

1966 Chevrolet Nova SS

1961 Ford Econoline pickup

The name so long associated with full-size vans was originally also applied to a pickup, (the Econoline series featured a cargo van, a window van, and a pickup truck).  The engine was mounted in between and slightly behind the front seats as seen below.

Jaguar XK8

Great show, as always.  I want to thank everyone for reading, and hope you enjoyed it .  .  .
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 04:29:56 PM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: