theautolounge.net
January 16, 2018, 11:15:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 03_TrueBlue_GT's 2001 GMC Jimmy  (Read 1128 times)
03_TrueBlue_GT
Grand Master

Doug

View Profile
« on: March 06, 2016, 11:42:47 AM »

Well this is my current set of wheels at the moment. Its a 2001 GMC Jimmy SLE 2 wheel drive. It has the 4.3L V6 in it and averages about 16-20 mpg with my driving. I usually average 17mpg with mixed driving. The paint is not in great shape, the clear on the hood is gone and the roof too. I may get her repainted sometime but Im not sure. The interior is in great shape, this car belonged to my aunt and uncle who had no kids. The car had 77,000 miles on it when I got it, now its at 80,000. The car sat for 5 years due to my uncle not wanting to mess with it and not having the money. We bought it from him for $1,000 which is probably a steal you were thinking. It was but wasnt. Tongue

I had to replace several things on it to get it to run. I had to replace

-New spark plugs/wires
-New cap and rotor
-Get the motor TDC correctly *My uncle did not do this correctly which is why it didnt run*
-Replace the Fuel pump
-Replace the rear brakes with new calipers and pads
-New shocks and struts
-Replace the old 7 year old tires with Goodyear SRA tires
-New door speakers front and back

I cant remember what else I had to replace but now its driving and proven somewhat reliable. It only stranded me 3 times. Oh here are some pictures for you to gaze upon her glory. The paint looks ok in the pictures but in person its not too great, the clear is coming off on the doors and on the fenders. Damn that Texas sun!

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 04:45:02 PM »

Love that color !  In the grand scheme of things, the repairs you mentioned aren't all that bad.  I've replaced several sets of those goofy rear brake calipers recently !  All is well until you push the pistons back to replace the brake pads.  Then the caliper won't release.  The idiot who designed the air filter housing on these trucks needs to be tarred and feathered .  .  .

03_TrueBlue_GT
Grand Master

Doug

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 07:54:02 PM »

Love that color !  In the grand scheme of things, the repairs you mentioned aren't all that bad.  I've replaced several sets of those goofy rear brake calipers recently !  All is well until you push the pistons back to replace the brake pads.  Then the caliper won't release.  The idiot who designed the air filter housing on these trucks needs to be tarred and feathered .  .  .

Thanks I like the color too but wish the paint was in better shape. I dont recall having issues with installing the brakes like you mention. Perhaps its because I bought new hardware? I dont see what is so bad about the air filter housing? Its crammed in there I will say that.

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 09:42:20 AM »

It's hard to explain.  But it has to do with the way the filter housing is sandwiched next to the radiator hose and underhood fuse box.  The position of the one fastener right under the radiator hose makes the housing lid much harder to remove than it should be.  If there was even 1/4 inch more room to the sides of the housing, removal/installation would be worlds easier.

Keep an eye on your coolant.  I've seen the Dexcool in these systems go from a nice orange to a sediment-filled rust brown if not properly maintained .  .  . 

RatherBNarizona
Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 01:15:10 AM »

$1000 ain't bad, even with the repairs!

Mac
03_TrueBlue_GT
Grand Master

Doug

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 11:47:03 AM »

The dreaded Check engine light keeps coming on and off on my Jimmy. I have ran a scanner through it and it says something to do with the EVAP system. I'm guessing the car believes the fuel system isn't pressurized. I went and bought a new gas cap and the light went away for a bit. Also it makes a strange noise like a gurgling or hissing noise when I remove the gas cap to fill it up at the gas station. I also turn the gas cap 3 times to make sure its on right.

At this point I might take it to my mechanic to look at it but I need the car because I start my new job this Monday. The car still drives well with the cel on so I guess I will have to avert my eyes from the check engine light for a while.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: