theautolounge.net
January 16, 2018, 10:59:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Helping someone buy a vehicle  (Read 2345 times)
Lone Fox

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2015, 12:09:02 PM »

She wants a Fit...

I noticed this one online, nice color. I personally think it's priced a little too high but I'm a cheapskate. I was thinking $9,000 as a fair value (before reading comments).

Anyway, read the "seller comments" at the bottom of the page. Also notice that this is a Honda dealership... I don't get it  

'10 Honda Fit
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 01:26:51 PM »

That's an interesting disclaimer in the "Seller Comments."  I know that whenever we took anything in on trade, I, as a tech, had to thoroughly inspect it and note anything that wasn't the way it should be because it had to be disclosed.  This was especially true for wholesale cars.  Here's my take on this car for what it's worth .  .  .

~  The ad sounds scarier than it actually may be for the "it must be disclosed" reasoning I mentioned above.  If they are not going to "front line" the car, they must disclose why, (i.e. the ABS light is on, they didn't give it their gazillion point inspection that they probably heavily advertise and use as a marketing tool, etc).
~  So why does the dealer appear to not want to fix it ?  My experience has shown that new vehicle dealerships will only keep the best-of-the-best trades for the "front line" and wholesale everything else.  This particular car may, for example, need something minor like a wheel speed sensor.  They may decided not to put anything into it because they don't have to due to the volume of trades they receive.
~  If you put any faith in Kelly Blue Book, they show that for your area, the asking price range for that car can be anywhere from $9,800 to $12,300.  So the $10k listed in the ad (as of 4/14), appears to be in the ballpark.  Take that with the proverbial "grain of salt" because we don't know why the ABS light is on, (i.e. a bad wheel speed sensor =  no worries, bad ABS module can be rather expensive).
~  If you put any faith in the CarFax thing, it appears to be a clean, one-owner car, which is good.

As a side note, I noticed with Kelly Blue Book that when researching this car, KBB gave me the asking price range graph like they always do.  But next to it was a suggestion to check out a few new cars that are "similar" for only "a few bucks more."  Very interesting .  .  .
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 01:19:58 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Lone Fox

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 05:31:31 PM »

That is interesting hearing the business side of things; in my mind I was wondering why a Honda dealership could or would not fix an ABS system code.

I put some faith into CarFax, AutoCheck and NICB VINCheck; at least when it comes to registration history...

"LOCAL TRADE !!! ONE OWNER !!! AUTOMATIC !!! ABS LIGHT IS ON !!! Neil Huffman's ''Wholesale to the Public'' offers the consumer the ability to buy this vehicle at pre-auction pricing. This vehicle has NOT been inspected and is offered as a BUYER BEWARE . We have not performed ''Huffman Platinum Plan'' reconditioning or service maintenance on this vehicle. This vehicle is sold 100% AS IS, with no implied or expressed warranties or guarantees. The previous owner s contact information is available to discuss this vehicle and we encourage you to have this vehicle inspected by a qualified technician at your expense. All trade-ins are welcome. We'll buy your car even if you don't buy ours!."
Axe
Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 05:05:10 PM »

That disclaimer scares me also. We looked at a Honda Odyssey that looked very very nice at a local Honda dealer back in Jan but with all the recalls listed and they wanted $3500 over k b dealer price scared me away.
racer91
Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 04:53:35 PM »

eport Run Date: April 30, 2015 5:51:05 PM EDT
2010 Honda Fit Sport

One owner One owners Calculated Owners: 1
Class: Small Car - Economy
Engine: 1.5L I4 MPI
Country of Assembly: Japan
Vehicle Age: 5 year(s)
Calculated Owners: 1
VIN: JHMGE8H4XAS000937
Year: 2010
Make: Honda
Model: Fit Sport
Style/Body: Hatchback 4D
This vehicle's AutoCheck Score

The AutoCheck Score is a summary of your vehicle's history. It lets you compare similar vehicles with ease.
About the AutoCheck Score
This vehicle qualifies for Buyback Protection

buyback
Safeguard your investment with AutoCheck Buyback Protection. It reduces the risk in buying a used vehicle.
About Buyback Protection

Accident Check
Reported accidents: 0

Title and Problem Check
Your vehicle checks out:

Odometer Check
Your vehicle checks out:
Last Reported Odometer Reading: 142

Vehicle Use and Event Check
Specific vehicle use(s) or events reported

checks_out   Your Vehicle Checks Out: There have been no accidents reported to AutoCheck for this 2010 Honda Fit Sport (JHMGE8H4XAS000937). AutoCheck receives its accident data from government sources and independent agencies, and based on the information available to us, we have found that no accidents have been reported on this vehicle.   
Title and Problem Check

checks_out   Your Vehicle Checks Out: AutoCheck's database for this 2010 Honda Fit Sport (JHMGE8H4XAS000937) shows no negative titles or other problems. When reported to AutoCheck, these events can indicate serious past damage or other significant problems, and disqualifies the vehicle for AutoCheck Buyback Protection. Check the Vehicle Use and Event Check for reported accidents that can affect vehicle safety and value.

0 Problem(s) Reported:   15 Title/Problem areas checked:
image   No abandoned title record
image   No damaged title or major damage incident record
image   No fire damaged title record
image   No grey market title record
image   No hail damage title record
image   No insurance loss title or probable total loss record
image   No junk or scrapped title record
image   No manufacturer buyback/lemon title record
image   No odometer problem title record
image   No rebuilt/rebuildable title record
image   No salvage title or salvage auction record
image   No water damaged title record
image   No NHTSA crash test record
image   No frame/unibody damage record
image   No recycling facility record

checks_out   Your Vehicle Checks Out: AutoCheck examined the reported odometer readings reported to AutoCheck for this 2010 Honda Fit Sport (JHMGE8H4XAS000937) and no indication of an odometer rollback or tampering was found. AutoCheck uses business rules to determine if reported odometer readings are significantly less than previously reported values. Not all reported odometer readings are used. Title and auction events also report odometer tampering or breakage.
0 Problem(s) Reported:   Mileage   Date Reported   
image   142   07/17/2010   

Information Reported: AutoCheck shows additional vehicle uses or events reported to AutoCheck for this 2010 Honda Fit Sport (JHMGE8H4XAS000937). This includes reported vehicle uses such as rental or lease, and events such as whether the vehicle has been reported to have had a loan/lien or a duplicate title issued. Other events show if the vehicle has a reported accident and how many calculated accidents or if it has been reported stolen or repossessed. It is recommended to have pre-owned vehicles inspected by a third party prior to purchase.
0 Event(s) Reported:   6 Vehicle uses checked:
image   No fleet, rental and/or lease use record
image   No taxi use record
image   No police use record
image   No government use record
image   No livery use record
image   No driver education record

2 Event(s) Reported:   9 Vehicle events checked:
image   No accident record reported through accident data sources
image   Corrected title record(s)
image   No duplicate title record
image   No emission/safety inspection record
image   Loan/Lien record(s)
image   No fire damage incident record
image   No repossessed record
image   No theft record
image   No storm area registration/title record

elow are the historical events for this vehicle listed in chronological order. Any discrepancies will be in bold text.
Report Run Date April 30, 2015 5:51:05 PM EDT

Vehicle: 2010 Honda Fit Sport (JHMGE8H4XAS000937)

Event date   Location   Odometer reading   Data Source   Details
07/17/2010   SCOTTSBURG, IN   
Motor Vehicle Dept.   TITLE (Title #:10805171000408) (Lien Reported)
08/06/2010   SCOTTSBURG, IN   
Motor Vehicle Dept.   REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
05/10/2011   SCOTTSBURG, IN   
05/09/2012   SCOTTSBURG, IN   
04/23/2013   SCOTTSBURG, IN   
Motor Vehicle Dept.   TITLE (Title #:13429078000033) (Lien Reported)
CORRECTED TITLE
04/23/2013   SCOTTSBURG, IN   
05/14/2014   SCOTTSBURG, IN   

Lone Fox

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 03:31:25 PM »

ha, when I was looking at the car it looked like it has had a minor front end collision.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: