theautolounge.net
January 16, 2018, 10:53:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: The 2015 season of "Todd's Annual Yard Adventure . . ."  (Read 7910 times)
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2015, 12:40:04 AM »

continued .  .  .
Part 2 of 2

Mulching all the debris in the yard last month and using it to create an "island" worked quite well out front.  Today, I found myself standing on my patio looking at the back yard and wondering if that idea would work here as well.

I've got a lot of trees in the back yard that create a lot of debris.

In keeping with my "I-wonder-if-this-will-work" gardening philosophy, I decided to fire up the lawn mower today and give it a shot.  

The principle was the same as in the front yard - mow the debris with the bag attached to the mower and use the resulting mulch to create an "island."

I chose a bare spot in the center of the yard where the grass seen on the right side of the photos above and below ends.  The outline of the pine trees, a couple of taller shrubs, and a couple of Nandina plants at the edge of the grass seemed like a great place to start.

And since there wasn't anything planted here to begin with, I've got nothing to lose.

I also had plenty of mulch !  There was enough available to put a big pile of it around the Red Buckeye tree, (which is doing very well) .  .  .

.  .  . and another big pile of it around the small pine tree I transplanted last year, (which is also doing very well).

I seem to find odd things quite often when I do stuff in the back yard.  A shock absorber, a multitude of golf balls, old dog toys, and enough bricks to build my patio have all been harvested.  Today I found this old relic buried in the dirt on the right side of the yard .  .  .

« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 12:42:44 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Axe
Master

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 07:07:48 PM »

Strange find. Keep digging and you may find a body left by a previous owner, lol.
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 12:17:12 AM »

Things begin to happen quickly .  .  .
March 18 - 24, 2015
Part 1 of 4

Mid-March seems to be the time where a lot of previously dormant plants wake up.  This makes sense considering the gradual upward shift in temperatures.  The roller coaster ride from February has now given way to steadily increasing warmth.  To this point, the early rising Daffodils, Japanese Camellia, and Crocus bulbs have already bloomed.  The Tulips and the mystery bulbs I have out front are starting to appear above ground.  And the Bridal Wreath Spirea at the mailbox, the Ruby Loropetalums and Chinese Snowball in front of the house, and the row Azaleas at the driveway are all on deck.  "Spring" is looking to make a grand entrance very soon. 

The Yoshino Cherry tree is another good example. 

March 18

A small amount of white began to appear right on schedule.

March 18

When the first bit of white appears, an explosion soon follows.

March 18

March 21

March 24

This remarkable transformation occurred over the 6 day period from March 18 - 24.

The Yoshino Cherry never fails to amaze each spring, and is one of my favorite sights in the yard !

Adding a breeze to this mix makes the area around the Yoshino Cherry look like it's been snowing.  Very cool .  .  .

March 24

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 12:56:05 AM »

continued .  .  .
Part 2 of 4

The Cleveland Select Flowering Pear tree is also starting to show a little white.

March 18

March 18

This tree has done very well ever since I planted it in 2013.  It's limited size means it doesn't make a whole lot of flowers.  But it still looks nice each spring.

March 21

March 24

The Japanese Camellia does it's thing each spring without any input from me and always looks great !

March 18

I'm going to trim it back after the blooming season ends this year.

March 21

I mentioned earlier that the Crocus bulbs have already bloomed.  The Tulips have started to appear and are growing at a pretty good pace.

March 18

The small plants in the foreground of the photo below are the Crocus bulbs.  The taller stems are immediately behind the Crocus bulbs have to be the Allium bulbs, only because I didn't plant anything else in that area.  And the shorter & thicker plants behind the Alliums are the Tulips.

March 21

Hopefully, this will be the year the bulbs out front will actually bloom.  A friend of mine gave them to me in 2012.  I originally planted them in the shady area by the patio in the back yard, which explains why they haven't bloomed yet.  A new home was made for them out front last year.  They began appearing above ground a week ago and have been growing steadily ever since. 

March 18

March 21

This should be the year I find out what these mystery bulbs are.  Cross your fingers !

March 24

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 01:18:09 AM »

continued .  .  .
Part 3 of 4

I have two Ruby Loropetalum bushes in front of the house.  They didn't bloom last year because I pruned them at the wrong time.  My recently learned understanding is that like the Azaleas, these shrubs bloom off of last year's growth.  Idiot me pruned all of it off late in the summer of 2013 thus leaving me flowerless in 2014.  I behaved myself last summer and the results are beginning to appear.

March 18

The Bridal Wreath Spirea at the mailbox looked beautiful last spring, and is poised to do the same this year.  It will be turning completely white with small clusters of flowers very soon.

March 18

I don't know what these little flowers are.  But they appear in my front yard each spring and look quite nice.

March 21

I'm guessing it's a weed of some kind, but I have no idea.

March 21

Some of the flowers are pink, like shown above.  Some are also blue.

March 21

Even if they are weeds, I really like them for some reason.  I'd love to have a whole yard full of them !  If anything, having them around gives me a chance to play with the Macro and manual focus settings on the camera. 

March 21

I am also happy to report that the lilies that surround the Maple tree are returning.  The "perennial" designation means they're supposed to each year.  But anything is possible my yard.  It's good to see them reappear again.

March 21

I'm not sure if the Star Magnolia is supposed to flower or not.  But I'm happy it has survived and is growing.  I can also see in the background that I've got a bunch of weeding to do !  

March 24

And right about now is when the Sweet Gum tree awakens.  This tree usually goes from bare to fully green quite quickly .  .  .

March 24
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 12:53:09 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2015, 01:32:57 AM »

continued .  .  .
Part 4 of 4

Things are also looking up in the back yard.  The Pieris Snowdrift I planted last fall actually has a bunch of small flowers visible.

March 18

I'm not sure what this guy is.  But the name Bluebell comes to mind.  There are a couple of them in the grass right off of the patio.  I plan on moving them after the blooming season ends.

March 18

March 21

I mentioned earlier that I am concerned about the Seiryu Japanese Maple tree.  For a tree that was supposed to keep its "green" all year long, it doesn't look too healthy at the moment.

March 18

I fear that one of the cold nights from this past winter did it in.  But I guess I'll find out as spring continues.

March 18

I was also concerned about the Red Buckeye tree.  It seemed to drop all of its leaves pretty early last year.  Information I found online suggested that this was normal.  I'm happy to report that all is well !

March 18

It looks fine and seems to be growing at a good pace .  .  .

March 21

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2015, 11:57:13 PM »

A busy week .  .  .
March 29 - April 4, 2015
Part 1 of 8

This is usually the most active time of the spring season.  A lot of things are happening right now.  Trees and bushes awaken from the winter resulting in a lot of green foliage appearing out of nowhere.  Now is usually the time when the shovel gets its first workout of the year.  But on top of my anticipation list is that all these flowering plants I have scattered about should be starting to produce flowers.  And they are !

The Tulips began to appear above ground in late March.  I believe the package was labeled as "mid-spring," which I'm guessing is now, (not sure really).

March 29

The approaching blooms can be seen.

March 29

Three days later, I've got a few flowers !

April 1

April 1

April 1

April 1

More flowers appear with each passing day.

April 2

April 2

April 3

April 3

It seems like the bright yellow turns a little darker as time progresses.

April 4

Seeing a simple flower appear doesn't seem like much.  It feels good to see them when you've been waiting for a while .  .  .
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 01:55:17 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2015, 12:21:58 AM »

continued .  .  .
Part 2 of 8

I mentioned before that I behaved myself last fall and didn't cut the Ruby Loropetalum bushes back.  The result of that is that I've got more flowers !  This shrub produces clusters of stem-like blooms.

March 29

March 29

There appears to be a way to make the blooming more dense.  But I haven't figured that out yet.  That's ok because I'm quite happy with what I've got !

April 1

April 1

The Chinese Snowball has been another wonderful surprise !  It initially started to fill in with green buds that became larger and larger as time progressed.

March 29

April 3

The color change from green to white will begin very soon, making the large circular blooms look like giant snowballs, hence the name.

April 4

The lilies in the planters on the front porch continue to do quite well.

March 29

March 29

The lilies around the maple tree are also doing very well.  I need to find a way to keep the deer from snacking on them .  .  .

March 29

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2015, 12:40:39 AM »

continued .  .  .
Part 3 of 8

I only had a few blooms on the pear tree this year, the reason for which is unknown.  But the tree, itself, is doing great !

March 29

March 29

The mystery bulbs continue to grow.  But I'm not seeing any flowers yet.  Hopefully, this is because they are late bloomers.  If not, at least they're growing.

March 29

The Star Magnolia is doing well.  

March 29

Something appears to be happening, the exact nature of which is unknown.  Flowers of any kind would be great !  But I'll take whatever Mother Nature gives me.

March 29

The small Dogwood in the front yard doesn't appear to want to bloom this year.  It had beautiful white flowers all over it when I planted it last spring.  This year, not so much.  It's coming in completely green, which is still great.  

March 29

Its big brother, however, is beautiful !

April 4

The pink blooms are a great contrast when photographed in front of the green pine tree.  Hacking off the large odd-ball branch back in 2013 proved to be a good move .  .  .

April 4
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 01:48:34 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2015, 12:57:54 AM »

continued .  .  .
Part 4 of 8

The Sweet Gum tree seems to turn green much faster than anything else.  Buds began to appear in late March.

March 29

From there, the tree explodes very quickly

April 1

April 4

The Bridal Wreath Spirea at the mailbox is starting to turn white, and appears to be doing so very quickly.  White buds can be seen in the photos below.

April 3

April 3

The transformation to white started to occur the next day !

April 4

April 4

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2015, 01:12:55 AM »

continued .  .  .
Part 5 of 8

The Creeping Phlox that surrounds the Windmill Palm tree has been a great surprise this year.  It didn't seem like it was doing an awful lot last year.  The blue-flowering plants looked ok, and seemed to rebound this spring. 

March 29

The red-flowering Phlox seemed to be withering away into nothing.  I figured I would have to replace it this year.  But not so fast !  There may not be a whole lot of red flowers.  But it is flowering.  I'll take it !

March 29

The blue-flowering Phlox is actually doing much better than expected.

April 1

April 2

Considering I was prepared to write it off this year, I'm quite happy to see this .  .  .

April 3

April 4

April 4

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2015, 01:35:13 AM »

continued .  .  .
Part 6 of 8

I mentioned during last year's adventure that the Azaleas along the driveway didn't flower nearly as much as I had hoped.  Flowers were sparse on some plants, and just not there at all on two of them.  A good conversation with my neighbor enlightened me to the fact that Azaleas bloom off of the previous year's growth.  I gave my Azaleas a trim in the fall of 2013, meaning I trimmed off most of the growth from that year.  This lesson sunk in the fall of 2014.  I didn't touch any of them, which proved to be a good decision.

The red/white combo next to the street seems to wake up first each year.

March 29

March 29

The little guy I moved two years ago produced flowers again after not doing so last year.

March 29

The Korean Azalea I planted last year dropped most of its leaves over the winter, leading me to think the worst.  But it appears to be ok.

March 29

The change from day-to-day is quite apparent.

April 1

The red half of the red/white combo always blooms first, followed quickly by the white half.

April 1

I've got some shaping to do later on.  But everything seems to be preparing to bloom .  .  .

April 1

April 1
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 01:53:05 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2015, 01:52:46 AM »

continued .  .  .
Part 7 of 8

Two days later .  .  .

April 3

The best part of this is that there are blooms and lots of new growth at the base of the bushes.

April 3

The rest of the line will be quite colorful very soon.

April 3

The following day .  .  .

April 4

The white half hasn't quite arrived yet.

April 4

But I'm starting to see a lot of red down the line .  .  .

April 4

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2015, 01:54:33 AM »

continued .  .  .
Part 8 of 8

The Yoshino Cherry tree has now transitioned to all green following a beautiful spring.

April 4

All of the white petals are now on the ground.

March 29

The white petals provide a good contrast to the enormous amount of pollen that accumulates EVERYWHERE during this time of year.  I could be wrong.  But this year didn't seem to be as bad as I have experienced in the past.  I think the amount of rain we've seen in northern Georgia has done a good job of keeping the pollen down somewhat.  But don't be fooled.  It's still there en masse !

April 2

The Red Buckeye continues to grow at a rapid pace.

April 3

Hope for the Japanese Maple is fading fast.  I think it's dead.

April 3

Now this is interesting.  I'm not sure what this guy is.  But he's growing from between the railroad ties by the patio.  I remember seeing this tree last year and didn't think anything of it.  I should make some room for it .  .  .

April 3
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 01:59:55 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2015, 12:42:13 AM »

A new direction .  .  .
April 4 - 5, 2015
Part 1 of 2

I mentioned earlier that at the beginning of February, I decided to try a design experiment and connect the individual groups of plants together in the center of the front yard.  The result was a large "random curved shape."  

I have trouble envisioning ahead of time what a design will look like.  But now that the design is in place, I can see where the curves within the "random curved shape" seem like great places to plant more individual clusters of smaller plants. 

This has potential !  I like it !  And what do you know.

Time to see just how far this "creativity" can go .  .  .

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: