theautolounge.net
January 18, 2018, 09:35:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Country Classic Cars, Staunton, Illinois, November & December 2006 . . .  (Read 25266 times)
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2014, 03:48:39 PM »

This is a 1964 Ford Thunderbird.

It was hard to get a good shot of the car due to where and how it was parked.  But hopefully you get the idea.

Asking price was $8,950, which I thought was a good deal due to the condition of the car, and the fact that it had PS, PB, and factory a/c.  T-Bird interiors have always been a favorite of mine.

The air cleaner may have looked out of place on this otherwise original 1955 Ford Victoria.  But everything else was really nice.  Asking price on the 58k mile car was $19,850.

There was a time when I was seriously considering an early '80s Buick Riviera.  I've always liked the car's looks.  But the best aspect of the car was that Riviera and Oldsmobile's Toronado came with the bulletproof 307 CID Oldsmobile V-8.  Their platform stablemate, the Cadillac Eldorado, utilized the much-maligned 4.1L "HT4100" V-8.  

This 1983 Riviera convertible showed 130k miles on the odometer and was listed for a reasonable $5,950.

This 1948 Oldsmobile street rod looked pretty stock on the outside.  However, keen eyes will notice the shaved door handles.  A bunch of mods had been made under the skin including structural reinforcements, a Cadillac V-8, and an updated disc brake system.  Asking price was $10,950

Here are a few better pics of the 1955 Packard 400, one of my favorites from that day.

Power comes from a 352 CID V-8 that makes 260 hp.  

A beautiful 58k mile car that I would own for $12,850.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 03:55:25 PM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2014, 11:05:12 PM »

And finally, I leave you with two more of my favorites from those trips.  Neither are "blue chip" collectibles, high-dollar classics, or even anything really that special.  Both could be described as notable "ordinary" vehicles that happen to be in excellent condition and are affordable.  While not showroom new, both are very original cars that can actually be driven.  They are the kind of vehicles I enjoy seeing at car shows because you just don't see many of them.  In other words, they speak to me.

First is the 1966 Ford Galaxie 500 that I photographed before.

This is a base 4-door sedan, minimally equipped.  I don't know what resides under the hood other than it's neither a very rare "7-Litre" 428 CID V-8, nor an even more rare R-Code 427 CID V-8.  The remaining engine choices were the standard 240 CID I-6, the 289 CID V-8, the old-reliable 352 CID V-8, or three iterations of the 390 CID V-8.  The only thing I can say with certainty is that this car was originally green.  Judging by the extent of the peeling, the white paint job probably wasn't what you would call "concours" quality. 

From what I was able to see on the inside, it didn't have a/c.  But it did have the optional automatic transmission, (a 3-speed manual on the column was standard and a 4-speed manual on the floor was optional).  While not perfect, the interior was original and appeared to be in really great shape.

It wasn't a show car.  But it would have made a great "driver."  Asking price was a very reasonable $4,850.

Further down that same row sat this 1967 Ford Fairlane 500.  This was also a base level 4-door sedan.  The "390" badge indicates that this car has the optional 390 CID V-8 that made either 270 hp (2bbl carb), or 320 hp (4bbl carb).  Just like the Galaxie above, this car was minimally equipped.  Besides the 390, it also had an automatic transmission and power steering.  The car was also listed as having new tires and a new gas tank.

The car's interior matched the exterior - nothing fancy, not perfect, but completely original.  Everything was there and in decent shape.  Asking price was $4,950.

I want to thank everyone for reading and following me on my journey to one of my favorite classic car dealerships.  I hope you enjoyed browsing through the 260 photos as much as I enjoyed rediscovering them .  .  .
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 11:14:13 PM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

ccclassic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2015, 02:20:02 PM »

Some great finds in there.
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2015, 01:11:33 AM »

That's one of my favorite classic car dealers.  There's something in there for all everyone at any price point .  .  .

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: