theautolounge.net
January 18, 2018, 09:36:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anchor Festival car show, Centralia, Missouri, June 5, 2005 . . .  (Read 12737 times)
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 01:36:56 AM »

Heavy duty commercial trucks from International Harvester are a pretty common sight.  But International also produced a line of light duty trucks and utility vehicles which aren't nearly as plentiful.  The grill on this truck identifies it as a B-Series pickup which was produced for 1959-60.  I don't ever recall seeing another one.

This 1968 Ford Torino GT convertible is one of 5,310 produced that year making it quite rare.  This car was beautiful inside and out.  I love that color combination !

The Volkswagen Beetle is probably the quintessential "art car."   They've been turned into rolling sculptures, artistic statements, dune buggies, and everything in between.  Even though this area of the hobby isn't really my thing, I can certainly give credit for a beautiful creation.  This 1968 VW Beetle was very well done, and the numerous plaques and trophies on display with the car seem to support that conclusion.  Take note of the suicide style driver's door.

I mention that because the passenger's door was hinged conventionally.

Even though this was the last year of production for the C3 Corvette body, the 1982 model year featured quite a few "firsts."   All Corvettes were powered by the RPO L83 5.7L V-8 that made 200 hp.  But the Rochester carburetor was replaced by a new computer controlled "Cross-Fire" injection system that featured twin throttle bodies.  The all-new 700R4 4-speed automatic transmission was the only unit available that year.  Chevrolet decided to commemorate the last hurrah by offering a "Collector Series" car.  Along with special paint and graphics, for the first time, the rear glass was fitted with hinges and gas struts thus giving much needed access to the rear storage compartment.  And 1982 was also the first time a Corvette topped $20k, (the Collector Edition stickered for $22,537.59).

A total of 6,759 cars were built that featured special Silver Beige paint and a matching Silver Beige interior. 

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 09:00:01 PM »

This is a 1963 Chevy II Nova convertible.  It looks like it has a late-model TPI small block V-8 under the hood.  The license plate kinda let's you know it belongs to.

I don't know anything about the "World's Fastest Panel Truck" claim shown on the display sign of this beautiful 1932 Ford street rod.  But I do see a couple of really impressive notes.  Motivation comes from a blown .030-over 427 CID Chevy big block.  The horsepower number on the sign isn't clear, but it looks like 800 hp.  But what's more impressive is that the chassis comes from street rodding legend Barry Lobeck and his Just A Hobby Chassis Shop in Cleveland, Ohio.  Barry passed away in 2011.

Full-size muscle was alive and well in 1965. To complete with the Ford Galaxie, Chrysler 300, Chevrolet Impala, Pontiac Catalina, and others, Buick had the Wildcat.  First appearing in 1962, the Wildcat was an option within the Invicta line, but then became a separate model beginning in 1963.  This 1965 Buick Wildcat convertible was another of my favorites on that day. 

It was not unusual in those days for manufacturers to use a decal on the air cleaner lid to advertise horsepower.  Buick was different in that the number on the air cleaner lid was a reference to the engine's torque output.  Three engines were available in the 1965 Wildcat series.  The "Wildcat 445" stood for the 401 CID "Nailhead" V-8 that made 325 hp and 445 ft-lbs of torque.  The "Wildcat 465" stood for the 425 CID "Nailhead" V-8 that made either 340 hp (single 4bbl), or 360 hp (dual 4bbl), and 465 ft-lbs of torque.

Now having said all that, I can't say for sure which engine powers this car, as there was no decal on the air cleaner.  Judging by the shape of the air cleaner, itself, I would say this is the 325 hp "Wildcat 445."

I'd love to have this car in my garage !  It's a rare convertible with goodies like factory air, bucket seats, and power window.  Beautiful car !

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2014, 09:22:09 PM »

You may have noticed the railroad tracks in some of the previous pictures.  It was about this time that I found out that they were, indeed, active.  And quite loud at times.

Speaking of full-size muscle, this 1966 Galaxie 500 sat a few spaces away from the previously mentioned Wildcat.  I've always liked the Galaxie styling.  I don't see a "427" emblem on the front fender, or "7-Litre" emblems in the grill and on the front fender.  But this particular car was really nice and looked very original.

This is a nicely restored 1967 Camaro SS350.  I like the front license plate.

And finally, here we have 50 years of Chevrolet.  This all-new C6 Corvette would have just gone on sale at the time this photo was taken.

But I think I prefer this beautiful 1955 Chevrolet 210 2-door sedan that sat next to the 'Vette.

The display card indicated that this was a 33k original mile car. 

Everything about this car supported that statement.  It was spotless both inside and out.  There are those who would look at the very subdued color and think "sleeper," which would be really cool.  But I really like the stock restoration. 

Thanks for reading .  .  .
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 10:03:01 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Maslpfan

get some!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 10:41:48 PM »

I have never seen a buick wildcat, interesting. I like it

2002 Chevy Silverado Z71
1987 Olds Cutlass Supreme
1989 Pontiac GTA WS6
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print