theautolounge.net
January 20, 2018, 06:38:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Anchor Festival car show, Centralia, Missouri, June 5, 2005 . . .  (Read 12741 times)
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2014, 12:03:59 AM »

Anchor Festival in Centralia, Missouri .  .  .
June 5, 2005

Centralia, Missouri native A. B. Chance founded the company that bears his name in 1912.  The A. B. Chance Company specialized in earth anchoring.  In simple terms, an earth anchor is something that supports and secures something to the ground.  If you're building a bridge, installing a utility pole, or making a platform for a large piece of machinery, if it needs to stay put, you need an earth anchor.  Chance's company, now a subsidiary of Hubbell Power Systems, became a world leader in this field, and is currently the largest manufacturing employer in Boone County, Missouri.

Every first weekend in June, the town of Centralia commemorates this heritage in the form of the Anchor Festival. 

Held in the downtown area, events and activities include live music and dancing, loads of activities for the kids, lots of good food, and a car and tractor show.   

I had been a Missouri resident for around two years by this time, but had never been to the festival.  My wife and I decided to take advantage of the sunny day and take a walk through the car show .  .  .

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 12:26:46 AM »

We were immediately greeted by this flawlessly restored 1969 Dodge Charger R/T.

And yes, it was that nice !

And yes, that is a Hemi badge on the door.  I didn't look at the fender tag.  But if this car is legit, it would be one of only 461 produced that year with the mighty Hemi, (432 for the US and 29 for Canada).

And, I am reading where a mere 207 cars came with the 4-speed manual transmission.

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 12:55:52 AM »

This 1966 Chevy Impala SS looked to be all original.  In this world of resto-mods and Pro-Touring cars, I love seeing an unmolested example. 

Speaking of which, I don't know any of the details of this heavily modified 1968 Camaro.  But the license plate tells the whole story.

The 1978-79 Corvette has always been a favorite.  They may not be the fastest 'Vettes around.  But there's something about that styling that I really love.  I almost bought a '78 Silver Anniversary car many years ago, (L82 4-speed car !).  That one wasn't nearly as nice as this car.

The 1984 Corvette next to it looked pretty nice as well.  The 1984 model was significant as the first year for the C4.  The Crossfire injection system wasn't nearly as well liked.

This 1951 Pontiac Eight was a favorite from that day. 

Two series were available in 1951 - the Streamliner and the Chieftain, both of which were available with either a 239 CID inline 6-cylinder or a 268 CID inline 8-cylinder.  The side trim seems to suggest a Chieftain with the 120 hp Inline-8. 

Like the Hemi Charger above, this car was flawless !

A lot of work went into the restoration, and it showed.

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 01:11:54 AM »

This is a 1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL hardtop coupe.

This was another beautifully restored car.  I'm going to call the air conditioner either a dealer-installed option or a modern retrofit unit.

It may not be a super-rare 427 car.  But the 250 hp 352 CID V-8 was nicely detailed. 

Beautiful car !  Always a favorite.

This 1966 Chevy Impala SS convertible was also one of my favorites from that day.

In addition to the broken "Super Sport" emblem on the fender, keen eyes will notice the big-block cross-fire flags in front.

I have the pics of this car labeled as a "4-speed, 427 convertible," which would make it a somewhat rare combination.

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 01:27:40 AM »

This is a then-new Z06 Corvette.  I love the license plate !

Several then-new C5 Corvettes were in attendance, complete with informative license plates.

I didn't get a picture of the Monte Carlo seen beside the 'Vette in the above photo.  But I did get a picture of the blown big-block under its hood.

The 'Vette featured a matching underhood dress-up kit of some kind.  It may not have made the impact that the above blown big-block in the Monte Carlo made.  But it matched the car quite well. 

This T-Bucket was well done.  I especially like the "sunroof" transparencies sewn into the roof.

I don't know any of the details of this 1970 Chevelle SS454 other than it was beautiful.

The "450 HP" decal would indicate an LS6 car.  But there is no way to identify a legit LS6 car without a build sheet or window sticker.  If it is the real thing, it's quite rare and worth a small fortune.

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 02:25:31 AM »

The 1980-82 C3 Corvette remains my favorite 'Vette from a styling perspective.  The lines are perfect from any angle.  This 1982 model features the optional two-tone exterior paint which became available for 1981.  The colors on this car look like Silver/Charcoal, which would make it one of 1,239 cars with that 13/39 paint code combination.

Horsepower levels had been steadily decreasing over the previous decade thanks to ever-tightening emissions restrictions.  The computerized Cross-Fire injection system introduced for 1982 would be the first year horsepower levels increased.  It was a modest increase, (190 hp in 1981 to 200 hp in 1982), but an increase nonetheless.  This would also be the last year for the C3 body. 

This first generation Chevy C-Series pickup was also nicely restored.  The grill and windshield identify it as a 1964-66 Fleetside model. 

I was really impressed with the detailing under the hood.  This was a beautiful machine !

By the time 1973 had rolled around, the Ford Mustang had grown substantially in size and weight compared to the original introduced a decade earlier.  Sales had been declining steadily since the 2nd generation cars were introduced in 1967.  Despite the excess heft and less muscle available to move that heft, 134,817 Mustangs left the factory in 1973, including 11,853 convertibles.

The Pontiac Firebird was marketed in the same manner as the Ford Mustang.  It was a sporty looking car that could be equipped to suit anyone.  The person interested in basic economical transportation could get a base level car for less than $3,000.  Customers looking to be planted in the seat leaving a stoplight could order a 400 CID "Ram Air II" car which was very under-rated at 340 hp.  Somewhere in the middle sat the "H.O." option.  The 400 CID "H.O." V-8 was rated at 335 hp and offered a high level of power in a daily-driver oriented package.

Somewhere along the line, this particular car had its 400 HO yanked and replaced with a 428 CID V-8.  Pontiac never installed a 428 in a Firebird from the factory.  But in those days, a dealer would make the swap if the customer had deep enough pockets. 

Maslpfan

get some!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 02:24:26 AM »

Some beautiful rides there. Nice to learn where earth anchors came from too, cool for that town.  What made you post these from a 2005 car show, did you come across them or were you strolling down memory lane again?

2002 Chevy Silverado Z71
1987 Olds Cutlass Supreme
1989 Pontiac GTA WS6
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 12:31:57 AM »

I have photos from car shows all the way back to the early 1980s.  I enjoy browsing through them occasionally, and thought everyone might enjoy a few pics from yesteryear .  .  .

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 10:31:37 PM »

One of the lone bright spots in the automotive dark ages of the late 1970s was the L82 engine option for the Corvette.  The 454 disappeared from the option sheets in 1976 leaving the 350 CID V-8 as the only engine available.  RPO L48 was standard in Corvettes from 1976-1980.  The performance upgrade was designated RPO L82. At its peak, it made 230 hp for 1980 which allowed for a low 15-second quarter mile. 

This is another beautiful 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air.

This was a very original car that was either very well preserved or beautifully restored.

Next to the '55 was another original Chevrolet, a 1962 Impala.

The full-size Chevrolet was available in three different trim levels  -  Biscayne (base), Bel Air (mid-level), and Impala (luxury).

I like this 1927 Chevrolet truck.

I don't remember the story on the truck any more.  But the wooden body has somewhat of a homemade look to it.

This truck featured a state of the art security system.

I'm sure it came in handy when dealing with securing the cargo.

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 12:43:58 AM »

Another then-new C5 Corvette with custom graphics.

I don't know the specs on this blown 1968 Camaro.  The fender emblem says Z28.  But the '68 cars were odd in that the only way to authenticate a true Z28 is with a build sheet or window sticker.  A 1967 Z28 will have accessory code "L" under group 4 on the trim tag.  Some cars built at the Norwood, Ohio assembly plant in 1969 will have the famous "X" codes. 

This early '30s Ford street rod was well done.

I'll call the detailing on the interior beautifully crafted but not overdone.

The 1979 Pontiac Trans Am has always been a favorite.  If the asking prices for these cars are any indication, a lot of people seem to agree.  These cars are shockingly expensive !

Trans Am buyers wanting a manual transmission could get one with either the 150 hp 301 CID V-8 or the 220 hp Pontiac 400 CID V-8 (i.e. the "T/A 6.6").  The 185 hp Oldsmobile 403 CID V-8 (i.e. the "6.6 LITRE"), was available only with an automatic transmission.  Of the more than 116k Trans Ams produced in 1979, 11,659 came with the 4-speed manual, roughly 10%.  I don't see a "6.6 T/A" designation on the hood scoop which means this car is probably a 301.  This 2gta.com page says a mere 1,530 Trans Ams were fitted with a 301/4-speed/T-Top combination making this car quite rare.

I give Chevrolet credit for taking a chance with the retro-themed SSR pickup.  A retractable hardtop convertible pickup was a great idea.  The styling department did a wonderful job with the retro theme.  Then GM pulled a "typical GM."   Having 300 hp under the hood may sound impressive, but not when it has to move a 4,700 pound tank.  Having only 2-seats limits the potential customer base to begin with.  The bean counters limited it even further by pricing it near contemporary Corvette territory.  It took two model years for execs to realize that this may have been a bonehead move.  By the time GM got it right, (adding another 100 hp and making a 6-speed manual transmission available), it didn't matter, and the SSR disappeared after 2006.

I came across a pair of 1967 Chevrolets.  I love the dark blue on this Corvette !

Next to the 'Vette was a 1967 Camaro SS.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 12:01:05 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 01:34:42 AM »

In 1966, a driver of at least 25 years of age could go to Hertz Rent-A-Car and drive away with a 306 hp Shelby Mustang.  Rates were $17 per day and $0.17 per mile which wasn't a bad deal back then considering what you got for the money.  A total of 1,001 GT350H Shelby Mustangs were produced in 1966.

The 289 CID V-8 made 306 hp and 329 ft-lbs of torque which allowed for a 15.2 second quarter mile. 

According to this about.com page, the first 85 Hertz cars came with a 4-speed manual transmission.  Clutches were being burned up at an alarming rate which resulted in automatics going into the remainder of the production run. 

Pontiac introduced "The Judge" option for the GTO in December 1968.  In today's world, one would refer to the Judge package as an option group.   All of the Judge components could be had on any GTO.  Pontiac would group them all together in one package for $322, which was cheaper than if everything was ordered separately.  The package name, "The Judge," was a reference to the Sammy Davis Jr. "Here come de judge!" sketch from Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In TV show. 

The Judge came standard with the 400 CID Ram Air III V-8 that made 366 hp.  Optional was the Ram Air IV 400 that was underrated at 370 hp.  While I can't find any statistics, I'm sure that buyers with deep enough pockets could have encouraged a race-only Ram Air V to show up under the hood.  This particular car features the Ram Air III/4-speed combination.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 01:37:14 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 01:43:11 AM »

I thought the wrap on this New Beetle was well done.  The graphics were appropriate for the area.   When I lived in Pennsylvania, everything was "Nittany Lion" for Penn State.  In Athens, GA, everything is "Bulldog" which is a reference to UGA.  In central Missouri, everything is "Tiger" for the University of Missouri.

This 2002 SS Camaro would be the last until the all new car debuted for 2010.  When I took this photo in 2005, this was still a relatively new car.  The spotless appearance and trophies seem to indicate that this car spends its time in the garage appearing only for the occasional car show.  These 35th Anniversary cars are still pretty desirable. 

Next to the Camaro was a very nice early 1970s Corvette.

The body work on this 1970 Dodge Charger looks pretty well done.  Although I'm not a big fan of the flip-up sunroof.

I am, however, a big fan of the Pistol Grip shifter !

Several purpose-built drag cars were grouped together.  The 1971 Dodge Demon 340 on the left is a relatively rare car, (around 11k made).  I've always liked the lines of the Chevy II/Nova during these years.  This particular car is a 1966 model.

The Mercury Capri was one of those cars that could never seem to find an identity and stick with it for any length of time, (the same thing could be said about Mercury as a whole, but that's a story for another day).  The Capri began life as a transplant from Ford of Europe and sold through Mercury dealerships from 1970-77.  It was a traditional "European" sporting car, (i.e. modest power in a well balanced and lightweight chassis), and garnered a lot of praise in the automotive press for its road manners.  The Capri name was then applied to Mercury's version of the all new Fox-body Mustang in 1979.  The sexy European suddenly became a North American muscle car.  The success of the Mustang never translated to the Capri even though they were the same car.  Sales seemed to peak to around 1/3 of those of the Mustang during the car's 8 year run.  The Capri name was revived again in 1991, this time applied to an Australian-built sporty looking convertible with Mazda 323 mechanicals.  Sales never really got off the ground, and the name was killed again after 1994.  The car shown below is a 2nd generation model which ran from 1979-1986.  The numbers on the windshield suggest that this car will run the quarter mile somewhere in the 11 second range.

Rounding out the drag cars was my personal favorite, a Buick station wagon.  I can't explain it.  But there is something about these big wagons from the 1980s that really appeals to me.  I'd love to have one to play with.

Maslpfan

get some!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 02:29:07 AM »

I'm glad you came cross these. I really like that 27 chevy truck.

2002 Chevy Silverado Z71
1987 Olds Cutlass Supreme
1989 Pontiac GTA WS6
Axe
Master

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 07:40:16 AM »

Great post Todd! I love the pics and having your commentary including the available stats. Thanks.

Too many thoughts in my head to post all but a few sre that I grew up less than 5 milrs from the Norwood F body plant. Even as a small child I always considered it a treat to drive down Tennessee Ave and see the cars crammed into any vacant space they could find. GM eventually claimed the aging plant was "land locked" as the reason for closing, but everyone here locally knew I had been riddled with rumors of alcoholism, high absentee rates, and generally poor morale for many years.
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 12:04:33 AM »

Thanks guys !  I appreciate the kind words .  .  .

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: