theautolounge.net
January 20, 2018, 06:52:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Oznut's Holden SS "Thunder" Ute  (Read 4060 times)
Oznut

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2014, 03:15:54 PM »

Soooo..........another new thread, another new ride (I've skipped two rides actually, a 2wd Hilux called "ratlux" and I also own a '91 model Hilux Surf, turbo diesel).

This one is staying for a very long time, I've searched for around 8 months to find this engine/gearbox combo. First off, a pic:

It's a 2007 Holden SS ute, a package called a "Thunder" (the "Storm" is the V6 version). From factory it runs a 6 litre/364ci all alloy Chevrolet engine (engine code L98) making just over 360hp mated to a six speed manual gearbox through to a independent rear diff. Full leather interior, climate control, in dash 6 stacker cd, all that crap. It's sitting just over 2" lower than stock with a cat back exhaust. It's the only package in that model to run the L98, the other utes either run the 5.7 or another 6l, the L76.

Plans for it? Nothing much really, install a new head unit this weekend and then just enjoy driving it. At some stage I may chase more power but for now, it's just a fun can to drive.

I love lamp.
RatherBNarizona
Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 05:46:02 PM »

well hot damn!
I love it! Any chance you could get a video of it?
I've always wanted to drive one of these

Mac
MontereyDave
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 09:49:03 PM »

Congrats, Oz!  Awesome down under El Camino!  butt rock

Mikey

Shaaazoooo!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 11:11:27 PM »

Long time no see!
Nice ride man.
Oznut

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 01:31:23 AM »

Cheers guys. I love this thing, just don't get to enjoy it enough ha ha.

Ryan, I'll throw the GoPro on this weekend and take it for a squirt. Cheers Dave, it's a great car that handles nothing like you think it would. The suspension setup is really well done. Yeah Mikey, it's been a while. It's was an email to Lee (RBB) that told me to check back in here. I'm glad I did ha ha.

I love lamp.
Oznut

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 05:30:47 AM »

"ratlux" when I first got him.

And after I rattle canned it.

Interior.

"ratlux" was one sweet ute, a '95 RN85 Hilux 2wd, matte black paint, rims, super dark tint, Mexican blanket, drift steering wheel, rat fink shift knob, off tap sound system, and I sold those 17's and put black stock rims on it. It rode on bump stops all round but got look everywhere it went. I traded it on my '91 Hilux Surf, 2.4 turbo diesel, auto, power windows, mirrors, AC, steer, central locking and Clarion Bluetooth head unit. It's as stock as they come, right down to the factory wheels and tyres (I've never owned a stock 4wd in my life).

Inside my skatey lives along with spare fins, a leg rope a wax for my surfboards (hidden in the side compartments).

I love lamp.
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 11:41:01 AM »

I love the color on the Holden !  Awesome find.  Looks to be in great shape.  What is the US equivalent of the platform ?  Pontiac G8 maybe ?

Maslpfan

get some!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 10:45:38 PM »

Dude I wanted those to come here soooo bad! Nice Oz thats pretty badass!

2002 Chevy Silverado Z71
1987 Olds Cutlass Supreme
1989 Pontiac GTA WS6
MontereyDave
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 11:57:33 AM »

Here's a couple pics I took of one I spotted near Monterey based on a Holden GTO, that I pasted onto an ad that Pontiac released in 2008 when they considered importing it based on the G8.  I had to search my DeviantArt.com page to find these:

« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 12:00:34 PM by MontereyDave » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 09:26:18 PM »

Ok.  This makes sense.  I remember looking at a GTO years ago.  I believe one of the tricky aspects of ownership was the availability of Australian parts .  .  .

Oznut

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 04:22:52 PM »

There is a guy in the US that imports them as damaged vehicles (very minor damage) and in the same container as the ute, has all of the spares to repair them. Using GTO parts, concerts them to rhd and sells them off.

I love lamp.
Oznut

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 04:29:25 PM »

Also, installed (will grab a pic later) a Pioneer dvd head unit in it on Saturday, as the stock unit wouldn't play a mp3 and didn't have an aux input (mine is the very last of this model, all the cool shit went in the newer one). Now I have cd/dvd/aux/Bluetooth music - calling and a data cable that allows my iPhone to plug in and use google maps on the touch screen plus a heap of other gear. So much better now ha ha!

I love lamp.
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 12:17:33 AM »

That's awesome !  I offer my congratulations .  .  .

MayberrySS
Grand Master

RIP 98 Z28!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 12:23:58 PM »

awesome, there a few UTE's here in the states. They use the same motor in the Pontiac G8 GT here, 6.0L with the LS3 heads/intake. With a cam/heads and full exhaust and DOD delete ported intake my friends G8 made 460whp. Runs 11's on motor with a 3600 stall. Pretty damn good. Lots of potential. Car looks great!

2001 Camaro SS H/C/I/E
Oznut

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2014, 04:11:13 AM »

I'm lucky, no DOD delete needed, it's the L98 without all of that crap.

Found all of my GoPro stuff too, will try and grab some footage of it tomorrow.

I love lamp.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: