theautolounge.net
January 20, 2018, 06:49:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Mac's bike  (Read 4850 times)
RatherBNarizona
Master

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2014, 07:52:30 PM »

Short story: I got a 2011 Triumph Daytona 675 - Caspian Blue. Named my new girl Lily.

Long story: I saw a Triumph D675 about a year ago, and instantly knew it was my dream bike. Similiar to seeing a Ferrari for the first time, I was in awe. For the last year, I have been on a quest to get a low mileage D675 in Caspian blue. There were some great deals on other colors out there, but the blue just stuck with me. The D675 is a rare bike, so imagine trying to find it with low mileage, in one particular color. Over the year, I came across three. Yes, in all of the United States. Over a year long period.

The first one was owned by a racing team and a famous rider, and with the highest aftermarket parts available on it, it sold for 10k, a little out of my budget.

The second one I thought was a done deal. The guy was in Utah (sort of close!), and was moving. I talked to him on the phone, he said it was mine. I sent him the money and went to work on the logistics on getting in shipped. I even considered flying in and riding it back home, but the weather was terrible there, and it would have been a 10 hour ride, on a motorcycle. He called me up a few days later, he received my money, but the bike wouldn't start. Judging from what he told me, I narrowed it down to the regulator, which Triumph recalled. He told me he would take it to the dealership, get it fixed, and let me know. Weeks passed. I didn't want to bug him, but this is my dream bike, and literally pacing around the house waiting for a call was nerve-racking to say the least, especially when he wasn't answering any of my calls or texts. After two months, he pretty much fell off the face of the earth.

The third, pictured below, came courtesy of a search of Craiglist for the whole U.S. I called him, and negotiated a price, and it had just under 3,000 miles. He said he got a job in south Texas, and the bike (and his home) were in north Texas, so it just sat around all day and he never rode it. He said it was perfect condition, never dropped. It was in Texas, so I asked Imran if he was close enough to check it out. It was about an hour away from Imran, and the truck was picking it up the next day, so I figured I would be alright. Money sent, truck picked it up, and when I opened the trailer at midnight on a Wednesday night, I was in for a surprise.

It was clearly dropped on both sides, all the fairings needed to be replaced, and some small other dings. I was furious. The next day someone mentioned for me to be calm, because if I called him screaming, he would tell me to 'f off' and wouldn't answer any communication. I called him, and speaking calmly, told him my concerns. I got a quote from a nearby dealership, it would be about $2,000 to repair with OEM fairings. I told him the price, and that I would like to get all OEM parts. The guy felt horrible, he really is a good guy, but hadn't seen the bike for a while. He told me he would pay for all of the parts (OEM parts) and kept apologizing.

So in the meantime, I've been cleaning up the bike, and went for a few rides. My dealership received the order, so they are awaiting the new fairings. I was going to wait to post some pics until it had all the new gear, but figured I couldn't keep you ladies wondering what I got for the next few weeks. You may notice in the pictures that I only really took photos of the decent side of the bike (there are still scratches on the front fairings). Sorry for the condesed photos, PB screws them up. They will all be on my Flickr eventually.

Well, meet Lily.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 10:05:17 PM by RatherBNarizona » Logged

Mac
Imran
So nice to meet you.
Global Moderator
Grand Master

So nice to meet you.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 09:16:13 PM »

Love the bike, and also love that mountain in the background! Any pics of the damage?
Maslpfan

get some!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 02:34:40 AM »

That is a nice looking bike my friend, my favorite color is blue, kudos for sticking with it. Great story line too, nice details Smiley Too bad about that second douchebag, what a thief! How did you come up with Lily?

2002 Chevy Silverado Z71
1987 Olds Cutlass Supreme
1989 Pontiac GTA WS6
RatherBNarizona
Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 05:15:56 PM »

Imran everytime I look at the scratches it makes me angry lol. I might get some pics for ya before they switch it out for the new fairings.

The second one wasn't a thief, but definetely pulled a dick move. I'm just glad he sent my money back, I was freaking out for a few days.
As for the name, there are a few girl names I really like. My old Saab was Leila, and I've always loved the name Lily. Plus she kind of looked like a Lily to me, so it was a done deal.

Mac
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 11:15:19 AM »

Congratulations !  Looks like you not only got the bike you were looking for, but you also managed to find an honest seller in the Craigslist world.  Love the color !  Great job .  .  .

Maslpfan

get some!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 10:39:37 PM »

Imran everytime I look at the scratches it makes me angry lol. I might get some pics for ya before they switch it out for the new fairings.

The second one wasn't a thief, but definetely pulled a dick move. I'm just glad he sent my money back, I was freaking out for a few days.
As for the name, there are a few girl names I really like. My old Saab was Leila, and I've always loved the name Lily. Plus she kind of looked like a Lily to me, so it was a done deal.

oh i must have missed the part where you got your money back my bad lol

2002 Chevy Silverado Z71
1987 Olds Cutlass Supreme
1989 Pontiac GTA WS6
Laminator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 04:02:10 PM »

Lovely bike . They sound fantastic with an Arrow system and on full noise. Welcome to the wonderful world of the triple.

Its nice to be important, but its more important to be nice
RatherBNarizona
Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 10:02:41 PM »

Thanks Lam. I've narrowed it down to an Arrow or Jardine system. I think the Jardine sounds a little better, but I do like the clean look of the new Arrow exhausts.

Mac
Axe
Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 12:35:23 PM »

I don't know much about bikes, especially newer ones but that looks sweet and the color is great. Sorry you had such a hard time getting it but it sounds like it's getting all worked out and was well worth the wait.

Again I tried to post on this for a couple of days and for some reason the planets aligned today so I can send messages.
RatherBNarizona
Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 04:01:32 PM »

Thank you Axe.

Just a little update...
I got the stator cover and new gasket for it, and did an oil change as well.

I have to say, it is really cool having a nice vehicle. I went to dinner the other night, and I parked on the sidewalk (out of everyone's way) next to the door. In the few minutes I stood nearby waiting for friends to show up, every single person that walked by said something about it. To cap it all off, a young boy (probably about 4) was with him mother and he was just staring at it with a big smile on his face. I went over and asked him if he wanted to sit on it, and I lifted him up on it and he got all excited.

When I was a kid, all I wanted to do was touch and feel all the nice cars I saw. Having been to many shows, the ones I remember most were when people let me sit in the drivers seat. It is awesome to be able to give that gift to someone else.

And yes, I told the mom to be ready for him to buy a motorcycle down the road Smiley

Mac
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 12:28:23 AM »

Get 'em started young.  Good job .  .  .

MayberrySS
Grand Master

RIP 98 Z28!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 08:52:20 PM »

beautiful bike man! I love the looks of Triumph bikes.

2001 Camaro SS H/C/I/E
RatherBNarizona
Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 10:28:43 PM »

Thank you.

I love having a unique vehicle, that is one of the reasons why I bought it. There are Ninja's and Gixxers on every corner, and I wanted something special. I went to a big car/motorcycle show last night, and there were about 100 bikes there, and only 3 other Triumphs, one of which was a classic from many years ago, and the other two were 06 675's, both in black. It is a pretty cool feeling getting thumbs up from people and people coming up to me telling me how pretty she is.

I got the stator cover replaced, so I really only need 3 pieces of the fairings. Down the road I want to get a few more goodies, but I have some things in my life coming up so I want to take it easy on the spending.

Mac
Lone Fox

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 04:46:57 PM »

Gorgeous... something you don't see every day.
RatherBNarizona
Master

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 10:43:33 PM »

Thank you Fox.

I've been making progress on Lily. My order for my new fairings came in, so I think I will be getting them on sometime this week. I also purchased a GB racing protection bundle, which is every cover imaginable, including frame sliders. I also threw in a motorcycle stand and some smaller goodies. I am really looking forward to getting more riding time with her, half the problem is my busy schedule, and the other half is not having enough people to ride with. Just like many things in life, it is slow progress, but progress nonetheless. Keep on truckin'.  Smiley

I'll be sure to get more photos of the new goodies when they are on. Hopefully one of these days I'll get some shots from a group ride, although I don't like to be the photographer for them. I really just like to enjoy the ride.

And to end on a philosophical note, I've been thinking a lot about something I always get asked, especially since I've been skydiving, getting my pilots license, and Lily has come into my life.
I often get asked if I'm afraid of death, and I tell them that I am more afraid of not truly living.

Mac
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: