theautolounge.net
January 18, 2018, 09:22:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Life on the farm  (Read 5308 times)
Axe
Master

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2014, 12:55:43 PM »

Got some good news this week. We dropped off a  water sample when we went to Muncie last week. The results came in as "Satisfactory", meaning there is no harmful bacteria. This means that we can get the well cleaned internally for about $750 instead of drilling a new well for about $5k.

We've been staying at my mother-in-laws near Cincy for the past week. Spent a couple of days at my sister's in Ft Wayne the week before. Will probably go back tomorrow. I need to check on the cat and mow the grass eventually.
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2014, 01:14:02 AM »

Awesome !  This is a great start .  .  .

Axe
Master

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2014, 04:10:18 AM »

Yeah thanks Todd. This helped us decide to stick it out for a while longer. We'll see how it goes this summer.
Axe
Master

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 09:49:07 PM »

Mother Nature -758 / Axe -1

Yesterday evening we were sitting on the porch relaxing. I hadn't felt good all day and hadn't done much of anything. Felt I should get something accomplished before dark so I started weeding the yucca plants near the driveway. Things were going fine for about a half hour or so when I saw something jump on my arm and bite me. Looking closer it was a bee and they were all over me.

turns out there is a yellow jacket's nest in there somewhere. I jumped up and ran towards the house while knocking them off my shirt and gloves. By the time I got to the house I could still see 5 on my shirt and could feel a couple inside my shirt still stinging me. I stepped back outside and took my shirt off after spraying deet all over it.

It looks like I ended up with at least 8 stings and possibly 10. It's hard to say since they can sting several times in the same area. I washed the stings and applied a cold wet cloth to them immediately then headed to the medicine bag and took 2 antihistamine tabs.
Axe
Master

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 10:05:53 PM »

(Continued)

My wife helped me put clear Calamine lotion on them but a couple of them continued to hurt and swell. I found one stinger still in my arm after about an hour and a half. That spot looks like it has 3 stings and is still swollen, but everywhere else is now just a red spot that itches like crazy. I have an anti-itch cream that helps a little but I'm also keeping up.with the meds.

I also sprayed some insect killer all around that area hoping more to just run them off rather than kill the little bastards.

So this evening I went out and mowed about 2 acres without incident... staying far away from the yuccas.
Maslpfan

get some!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2014, 02:36:36 AM »

Well hopefully you guys can hang in there and get everything back to normal. That is sure some beautiful scenery. A bit of bad luck you were hit with but it may be an award in the end.

2002 Chevy Silverado Z71
1987 Olds Cutlass Supreme
1989 Pontiac GTA WS6
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2014, 10:38:37 PM »

Good to hear you're ok.  You don't appear to be allergic, which is good.  I've heard stories of people who have to keep some kind of injectable meds with them because they are extremely allergic and could end up in the ER .  .  .

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: