theautolounge.net
January 18, 2018, 09:24:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What did you do to your house today . . .  (Read 1262 times)
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2014, 05:09:58 PM »

This is just what it says.  Those projects that aren't big enough for their own thread can be posted here .  .  .
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 05:11:55 PM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 05:12:01 PM »

Last weekend, I was outside taking pics for my annual yard adventure.  I really like the way my Yoshino Cherry tree looks in the spring, especially when viewed from the front yard where the green from the pine tree directly behind it makes the white blooms stand out.

Something odd caught my eyes.

The rain gutter over my garage appears to be trying to escape.  To where remains a mystery.  A closer look revealed that the nails holding the gutter hangers in place have pulled away from the wood fascia boards.  After one or two nails began to loosen, the gutter began to sag, thus allowing water to collect in the middle.  This made the gutter heavier, which caused it to pull away even further.  I suspect this continuous cycle would result in the gutter eventually making its way to my front lawn.

The good news is that this is easily repairable.  I headed off to Lowe's to get a bunch of new gutter hangers.

In the areas where I could place the hanger at a stud, I decided to pick up a bunch of 4-inch exterior screws.

I added a few new hangers and secured the existing fasteners in place.  And after a few hours of work, all was well .  .  .

Axe
Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 05:24:00 PM »

I'm back at the farm today so your pics won't load but it sounds like you did it the right way. No duct tape or bubble gum involved. :'D
Axe
Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 05:43:31 PM »

When my dad purchased the farm about 43 yrs ago the roof was bad and the metal gutters were completely rusted through letting water pour straight down. He installed a new roof and removed the gutters letting the water still just pour down to the ground. Now over 40 yrs later there has been a metal roof installed but still no gutters.

Needless to say the foundation leaks so bad I had to remove the threaded plug from the basement floor drain to let 3-4" of water out today. It had accumulated from recent rain while we were away but if you leave the plug out water comes up the drain during a torrential downpour.

After years of having the basement wet the floor joists and sub floors are wasted. I could replace the floor joists with a little help for a few hundred dollars but I don't think this house is worth the investment. If that were the only thing wrong it would be worth it but I think all the wood in the entire house is damaged.

Add that to bad plumbing, electric, no furnace, and contaminated water and I think it's time to relocate... again.
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 08:14:26 PM »

Thanks Axe !  Let the record show that duct tape and bubble gum were not on the parts list for my repairs. Sounds like you've got yourself quite a project .  .  .

Axe
Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 10:59:44 PM »

I was hoping for a fixer upper not a tearer downer. I don't want to spend my entire IRA and the rest of my time on earth trying to polish a turd in a climate zone with only 3 good months a year. We are honestly looking for an affordable home further south. I've been searching in the Nashville area online and as soon as we get the kids straight we plan on spending a little time looking in person whenever possible.

The best thing is that we got my parents out of here. They would have never left on their own. This place should be worth what we agreed to pay just as bare farmland so I hope to not lose much on the deal.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 11:05:18 PM by Axe » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: