theautolounge.net
January 18, 2018, 09:37:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: 9th Annual Mack Evans Memorial Cruise In, The Varsity, November 10, 2013 . . .  (Read 26560 times)
Rather B.Blown
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 01:18:16 AM »

I think the owner made a mistake with that red '71 doing a tribute car with it. With all the options that thing had and being a 383 shaker 4 speed car, I'd have done it back original if I was spending that kind of money on a restoration. I'm not sure, but I'd assume that would be a fairly rare car with all those options and the engine tranny combo.

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 01:13:49 AM »

According to this 440magnum-network.com page, Plymouth produced 501 383 4-speed cars in 1971.  So yes, it's quite a rare car to begin with.  From an investment standpoint, that's a tough call.  I agree with you, and would think an original 383 car would be at least comparable to a 440-6 tribute car, but I'm not really sure.  From a "this-is-what-I-like" standpoint, a 440-6 probably has a greater appeal .  .  .

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 08:03:04 PM »

I made my way over to the grass area on the opposite side of the parking lot to find more Mopar goodness.

Chrysler was trying to recapture the NASCAR Manufacturer's title in 1969 from 1968 winner Ford.  To compete with the Torino/Cyclone, Dodge made a few aero mods to its Charger, built the required 500 cars for sale to the public to qualify the resulting Charger 500 for NASCAR racing, and hit the track.  When that didn't work, Dodge hit the wind tunnel.  One pointed nose in front and giant wing in back later, the resulting Charger Daytona got everyone's attention after it was introduced during the second half of the 1969 season despite not winning the title.  Plymouth followed this same formula in 1970 and unleashed the Superbird which got the job done.

According to the display card, this particular car is a modified tribute.

And by "modified," I'm referring to the John Arruzza built 511 CID Hemi V-8 sitting under the hood.

The 625 hp it produces is put to the ground via a 4-speed manual transmission with the Hurst "Pistol Grip" shifter.

I've heard this 1957 Ford run at previous shows.  It's a modified car that sounds great !

Seeing a manual transmission in this car made made me do a double-take, (I don't recall ever seeing another one).  A closer look reveals that this one has been added to the car at some point in its past.

This is a 1968 Oldsmobile 442 Holiday Hardtop, one of 24,183 produced that year.

Displayed as an original car, it has been in the same family since new.

Power comes from Oldsmobile's 400 CID V-8 that makes 350 hp in non-forced-air trim.

It's a 4-speed car with bucket seats and the optional 8-Track tape player.

The original details always add a nice touch to the display.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 08:05:19 PM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 12:19:29 AM »

I've always been a big fan of the giant old Buicks.  This is a 1948 Roadmaster convertible, one of 11,503 made that year.

These cars were exceptionally well built and are among the smoothest and most quiet cars ever made.  If you've ever stood next to the 5.2L "Fireball" I-8 at idle, you'll struggle to hear it.

This particular car has undergone a few modifications.

The stock 320 CID "Fireball" I-8 has been replaced with an aluminum head 509 CID Merlin V-8 that makes 623 hp that is put to the ground via a modified Turbo 400 transmission.  But best of all, the stock exterior appearance was retained in the build making this another one of my favorites on that day.

This is a restored 1970 Chevrolet Monte Carlo.

Power comes from Chevrolet's 5.7L V-8 that makes 300 hp.

This car was beautiful car !  It's hard to describe just how good this restoration was.  A lot of attention was given to the details and it showed.  This is one of the nicest I've seen.

Rather B.Blown
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 12:03:21 AM »

I always thought that massive fan shroud on those Monte Carlos were strange looking. Almost comical.

JunkTrader
Master

Jake

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 08:49:16 PM »

a '70 monte carlo is one of my dream cars

bowtie
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 08:25:13 PM »

I always thought that massive fan shroud on those Monte Carlos were strange looking. Almost comical.

a '70 monte carlo is one of my dream cars

That particular car is one of the nicest I have seen.  The huge shroud is quite unusual.  In the modern era, manufacturers take advantage of every opportunity to make any part of the car lighter and/or smaller in size.  In those days, nobody was concerned about fuel economy.  Instead of having to remove excess length and weight for the sake of CAFE numbers, the styling theme dictated that additional space had to be added.    Parts under the skin, like the fan shroud, were styled in proportion to the rest of the car .  .  .

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2014, 12:44:12 PM »

And finally, I mentioned earlier that we would have the opportunity to hear some of these machines run.  I always like to hang around for a while after the show ends specifically for this reason.  This show's vid is longer than usual, (more than 12 minutes).  But the noises are great !  I encourage everyone to watch the vid so you can check out the blown SRS powered 1969 Camaro do a few full-throttle launches beginning at the 10:05 mark .  .  .

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODPEMYD1FUk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODPEMYD1FUk</a>

Thanks for reading .  .  .

Rather B.Blown
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2014, 11:23:09 PM »

Mother of GOD that Camaro is nasty!!!!!   

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: