theautolounge.net
January 23, 2018, 05:27:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Abandoned places . . .  (Read 14900 times)
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2014, 11:59:37 PM »

From distractify.com  -  This is a great article about abandoned places from around the world.  Something about Urban Exploration has always intrigued me.  I love reading about stuff like this .  .  .

Link to the article:  http://distractify.com/culture/arts/the-most-spectacular-abandoned-places-in-the-world/

Pripyat, Ukraine .  .  .

Is it strange that I would really love to do a Chernobyl Tour .  .  .

(from Chernobylwel.com, click for more information !)

Mirny Diamond Mine - Eastern Siberia, Russia .  .  .

This is the second largest excavated hole in the world.

(from Atlasobscura.com, click for more information !)

Farmhouse - Seneca Lake, New York .  .  .

I see a couple of old Dodges in the photos from the article.

Ryugyong Hotel - Pyongyang, North Korea .  .  .

Willard Asylum - Willard, New York .  .  .

Nineteenth century mental asylums are especially interesting !  I love the bio from the article where it says that, "in the early days, people didn't leave unless it was in a box." 

When someone was "committed," he/she arrived at the asylum usually with a suitcase containing everything needed for his/her "stay."  These suitcases, some dating back to 1910, were put into storage and forgotten until they were rediscovered in 1995.  Photographer Jon Crispin has undertaken the task of documenting the suitcases of former patients of Willard Asylum.  This is great stuff !

Click for Jon's website !

Sanzhi UFO Houses - San Zhi, Taiwan .  .  .

Six Flags Jazzland - New Orleans, Louisiana .  .  .

Another of Hurricane Katrina's victims.  This abandonedusa.com article contains a bunch of great pics of the park from 2010 .  .  .

(from Wikimedia, photo credit - Bob McMillan)

Gulliver’s Travels Park - Kawaguchi, Japan .  .  .

This theme park opened with a whimper in 1997, was closed in 2001, and demolished in 2007.  It's a shame because the setting for this place is beautiful !  It was built in the shadow of Mount Fuji.  This weburbanist.com article contains a lot of great info and pics about the park.

Bannerman Castle - Pollepel Island, New York .  .  .

Nineteenth century New York City businessman Frank Bannerman began his military surplus operation at the end of the Civil War.  In a nutshell, he bought and sold weapons and ammunition, A LOT  of them !  New York City officials weren't real keen on the idea that everything was being stored in a building on Broadway in Manhattan.  So in 1900, he purchased Pollepel Island, located in the Hudson River 50 miles north of New York City with the intention of building a giant storage facility.  Bannerman Castle was the result.

That was all well and good until August 1920 when 200 tons of the aforementioned military surplus exploded.  The place was later abandoned and sold to the City in the 1960s.  Subsequent fires have left the entire place destroyed with the exception of the stone structure, itself.  And according to The Bannerman Castle Trust, Inc. website, some of that is beginning to collapse .  .  .

Disney’s Discovery Island - Lake Buena Vista, Florida .  .  .

I remember this from my travel agent days, and didn't know it was closed.  From what I read, River Country (Disney's original water park) is also closed and abandoned.  Photographer and urban explorer Shane Perez made a .  .  . shall we say .  .  . unauthorized visit to the abandoned facility and documented his findings here .  .  .

Aniva Rock Lighthouse - Sakhalinskaya Oblast, Russia .  .  .

Canfranc Rail Station, Spain .  .  .

Chateau Miranda - Celles, Belgium .  .  .

This boreally.org article contains a bunch of great pictures.  The page is in French, but the pics are awesome .  .  .

Abandoned Coal Plant - France .  .  .

Eilean Donan - Loch Duich, Scotland .  .  .

Hashima Island, Japan .  .  .

Abandoned Mill - Western Quebec, Canada .  .  .

City Hall Station - New York City, New York .  .  .

Definitely not what I picture when I think of an "abandoned place."  It's entirely too neat and clean.

Orpheum Auditorium - New Bedford, Massachusetts .  .  .

Holy Land USA - Waterbury, Connecticut .  .  .

Abandoned Power Plant - Belgium .  .  .

Wreck of the SS America - Fuerteventura, Canary Islands .  .  .

This luxury ocean liner now known as the SS American Star ran aground in January 1994 and was declared a total loss and left where it was.  Over the years, the wreckage has continued to disappear little by little.  If I remember right, hardly anything is visible at this point .  .  .

(from Wikimedia, photo credit - Fred Kuhne)

(photo credit - Tom Clark, click for more information !)

Underwater City - Shicheng, China .  .  .

Abandoned Domino Sugar Factory -- Brooklyn, New York .  .  .

Red Sands Sea Forts - Sealand, United Kingdom .  .  .

Talk about a great place to live !

Overgrown section of the Great Wall - China .  .  .

Michigan Central Station - Detroit, Michigan .  .  .

You knew something from Detroit would be on this list.  And if you believe what you see on the interwebz, most of the city could be on here.  This all-that-is-interesting.com article contains some great photos from abandoned places all over the city .  .  . 

Dadipark - Dadizel, Belgium .  .  .

This place opened in 1950 and did really well for several decades.  But according to this urbanghostsmedia.com article, it was forced to close for renovations and never reopened.  Wikipedia says that the park was being demolished beginning in 2012 .  .  .

Military Hospital - Beelitz, Germany .  .  .

This Daily Mail article from the UK refers to this place as "Hitler's Hospital," and features a lot of great pics.

Empty Organ Room .  .  .

Abandoned church with chairs still standing .  .  .

Wonderland Amusement Park - Beijing, China .  .  .

Developers had grand plans for this massive amusement park which was to be the largest in Asia.  Financing problems killed it before it ever got off the ground.  According to Wikipedia, a lot of the structures on the property have since been torn down .  .  .

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTzrdMuxS0U" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTzrdMuxS0U</a>

Częstochowa Train Depot - Poland .  .  .

An Abandoned Rocket Factory - Russia .  .  .

This defensetech.org article contains a lot of great information and pics.

El Hotel del Salto - Colombia .  .  .

One of my favorites !  From what I read, this place is also thought to be haunted due to the fact that its location on top of a cliff was a place chosen by more than a few people to commit suicide.   This Deserted Places blog contains a bunch of great pictures .  .  .

Christ of the Abyss - San Fruttuoso, Italy .  .  .

Apparently, there are several of these statues all cast from the same mold sitting underwater in various location around the globe.  The statue from the video below is near Key Largo, Florida.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5oNrkh1uac" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5oNrkh1uac</a>

Railroad in the Fall - Lebanon, Missouri .  .  .

I've been through Lebanon, MO a few times.  There also used to be a classic car museum and restoration facility that I think has also closed.  I plan on posting those pics in the future.

Eastern State Penitentiary - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania .  .  .

I know the Ghost Adventures crew did a show about this place. 

« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 03:54:46 PM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Lone Fox

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 12:09:41 AM »

Reminds me of Central State Hospital grounds (insane asylum); an closed and abandoned mental hospital located on the westside of Indianapolis. A few years back me and a small group went into the basement of one of the abandoned buildings, and from the basement we found tunnels that disperse in different directions.

You couldn't pay me to walk into any of those tunnels alone.
MontereyDave
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 11:57:58 AM »

Outstanding thread, Todd!  A Facebook friend shared the abandoned places article and I viewed the small pics on my phone but that pales in comparison to everything you included in this thread.

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 10:47:23 AM »

Reminds me of Central State Hospital grounds (insane asylum); an closed and abandoned mental hospital located on the westside of Indianapolis. A few years back me and a small group went into the basement of one of the abandoned buildings, and from the basement we found tunnels that disperse in different directions.

You couldn't pay me to walk into any of those tunnels alone.

I watch Ghost Adventures on the Travel Channel.  Even though Zak Bagans can be a little bit too dramatic at times for my taste, the subject matter and places visited are great !  The histories of some of the places visited can be quite scary .  .  .

Outstanding thread, Todd!  A Facebook friend shared the abandoned places article and I viewed the small pics on my phone but that pales in comparison to everything you included in this thread.

Thanks Dave !  I tend to abide by the "Go Big or Go Home" philosophy.  My goal is to present a more complete account of what I have read, which is why I supplement it with other pics and articles.  Glad you enjoyed it .  .  .

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: