theautolounge.net
June 24, 2017, 05:32:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My budget audio system...  (Read 4175 times)
Lone Fox

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2013, 06:55:41 AM »

I hope you guys/gals don't mind me logging my budget system build. Now that I have a MUCH longer commute and the fact that my 200 has a relatively "quiet" cabin I just can't help myself.

First on the list is the receiver.
I actually purchased a Line-output-Converter, but ultimately decided I will swap out the stock receiver for an aftermarket DDIN. I won a bid on eBay for a "like new" Sony receiver; this is one of their new revised XAV lineup receivers, and not the rubbish older models (so I've been reading).

Nothing fancy...
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 10:01:34 PM »

Awesome !  I say post a bunch of pics and tell us all about it.  This is an area of the hobby that I am totally unfamiliar with.  I know that once I disconnect my battery in the Boxster, I can't use my radio until I get the code, which didn't come with the car when I got it.  Seeing your progress documented would be great .  .  .

Lone Fox

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 11:36:53 PM »

Chrysler uses the CAN bus communication system, so I purchased a interface module - PAC RP4-CH11

Solder, heat shrink tubing, electrical tape only as a secondary protection; separated the speaker leads from the hot wires.

Testing voltage for the second time (just double checking).

All that work, and my receiver doesn't fit  Undecided I will have to do some cutting modifications, but I'm trying really hard not to hack things.
Lone Fox

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 07:54:08 PM »

I went ahead and did some cutting with my Dremel (handy little tool by the way)

As suspected, I'm not happy with the receiver; however, its significantly better than the factory one. Thanks to the much better DAC I can hear little details I haven't heard in the car before.
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 12:13:39 AM »

I salute you for your usage of the proper technique and materials when working on electrical wiring.  Translation:  You didn't use those awful Scotch Lock connectors .  .  .

Maslpfan

get some!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 02:28:14 AM »

it looks nice to me. Do you plan on keeping it in, or will you be swapping it? has it grown on you since the install?

2002 Chevy Silverado Z71
1987 Olds Cutlass Supreme
1989 Pontiac GTA WS6
Lone Fox

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 03:58:03 PM »

it looks nice to me. Do you plan on keeping it in, or will you be swapping it? has it grown on you since the install?

I'm keeping it. I suppose it has grown on me a little bit - just that there will never be an ideal receiver (for me). This Sony receiver does have a nifty 7-band equalizer. It has time alignment also, but its almost worthless with only two pre-amp outputs.
Lone Fox

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 10:09:18 PM »

Just a little update, even though no-one has wondered the last 6 months  Grin

I ripped everything out, the PAC harness (cause it sucked), the Sony receiver (cause it sucked), and the Kickers coax speakers (they are ok).

Anyhow, I now have a Kenwood DD with Bluetooth for my cell phone, my iPod in the cubby, JBL MS 62c components (which are awesome by the way), two Excelon series amp, some new series MB Quart 12" subwoofer, and a MiniDSP for my processor... Maestro RR integration harness.

The Maestro RR radio harness fixed my EVIC display issue, so that's good. The MiniDSP is tuned with a computer (I'm using my laptop), and I don't know what I'm doing, but so far I have created what is the best car stereo I have ever had. I'm getting some panel vibrations that I need to try and hunt down. The MB Quart sub is a little disappointing, apparently MB Quart isn't what they use to be; I will try and find a used IDQ v.2 on eBay or if I'm lucky a Peerless XLS.

Too much work considering I only listen to music in the car less than half the time I'm driving, but when I do... at least I have this.
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 11:50:15 PM »

I'm not familiar with the world new car audio components.  But it sounds like you have installed Carnegie Hall in your car.  It's good to hear that you're happy with the results.  The "too much work" aspect tells me that you are a true enthusiast .  .  .

Maslpfan

get some!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 02:14:00 AM »

I figured you'd rip most of it out haha. does it sound epic? cause it sounds like it sounds epic haha

2002 Chevy Silverado Z71
1987 Olds Cutlass Supreme
1989 Pontiac GTA WS6
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: