theautolounge.net
January 16, 2018, 11:22:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Cory's Chrysler 200  (Read 7189 times)
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 10:29:24 AM »

I'm not well versed on the modern audio system.  But, I always thought Boston Acoustics was a well-respected name.  That's interesting that you refer to it as "not so good" .  .  .

03_TrueBlue_GT
Grand Master

Doug

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 08:20:16 PM »

Fox you know your stuff, I will need to talk to you when I go to upgrade my sound system!

Lone Fox

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 03:00:09 AM »

I'm not well versed on the modern audio system.  But, I always thought Boston Acoustics was a well-respected name.  That's interesting that you refer to it as "not so good" .  .  .

Boston Acoustics does make pretty good stuff, but they are also an OEM speaker supplier for Chrysler; the stock speakers are manufactured cheaply, I'm assuming to keep cost down.

Sadly BA has recently left the Car Audio (aftermarket) industry. . . RIP

Fox you know your stuff, I will need to talk to you when I go to upgrade my sound system!

You are too kind sir. The occasional times I log into the DIYM forums, I feel pretty stupid. Though, I prefer the simple low cost approach.
03_TrueBlue_GT
Grand Master

Doug

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2013, 02:03:10 AM »

Boston Acoustics does make pretty good stuff, but they are also an OEM speaker supplier for Chrysler; the stock speakers are manufactured cheaply, I'm assuming to keep cost down.

Sadly BA has recently left the Car Audio (aftermarket) industry. . . RIP

You are too kind sir. The occasional times I log into the DIYM forums, I feel pretty stupid. Though, I prefer the simple low cost approach.

Well I for one do not know much about audio systems. That is something that I have no clue as to what to do when  I want to upgrade mine. Lately I think my stock mach 500 system is worn out. On FM/AM the sound is not that great, the bass is crap and overall it just feels worn. Of course when I have my ipod hooked in the music sounds a lot better but not what I want. Plus there is a lot of rattling on my driver side but I attribute it to a loose screw or something that Im too lazy to tighten...

Lone Fox

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2013, 03:54:28 AM »

Well I for one do not know much about audio systems. That is something that I have no clue as to what to do when  I want to upgrade mine. Lately I think my stock mach 500 system is worn out. On FM/AM the sound is not that great, the bass is crap and overall it just feels worn. Of course when I have my ipod hooked in the music sounds a lot better but not what I want. Plus there is a lot of rattling on my driver side but I attribute it to a loose screw or something that Im too lazy to tighten...

FM has limited frequency response, they cut off the highs; I'm not sure how much of a negative affect this has. Also, its not uncommon for radio stations to use some amount of compression in their data. AM is even worse.

I'm not too familiar with the Mach 500 system, but I've read many Mustang owners defined the system as... "suck". The ones that don't maybe just don't care that much. I believe the stock receiver does some funky equalization effects tailored for the cheap speakers they put in the car, on top of the stock amplifier is a bit unusual (can't remember details); the speakers are 2 ohms and wired in parallel (I'm not sure). Basically, its a mess.
Lone Fox

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2013, 11:12:15 PM »

@03_TrueBlue_GT, Crutchfield has an overview on the Mustang
http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/2001-2004-ford-mustang.html

Rather B.Blown
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2013, 12:51:57 AM »

One of the best sounding factory systems I've heard in a long time was in a Chrysler 300 SRT-8 I looked at a while back. On the window sticker it listed it as an 18 speaker Hramon-Kardon premium with subwoofer and 900 watt amp. A $1995 option.

I used to be into aftermarket car stereo stuff years ago, but this thing sounded fantastic for a factory system (I was always more about sound quality over volume and boom). I was just wondering where in the hell you put 18 speakers in a Chrysler 300. 

Lone Fox

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2013, 01:57:58 AM »

7 of the speakers share mounting location, the tweeter is mechanically mounted with the midrange
(3) dash
(2) rear door
(2) rear deck
= 14 speakers

(2) front door 6x9 speakers
(2) rear 6x9 speakers (I'm assuming in the rear side panel)
= 18 speakers

plus (1) subwoofer

"18 speaker system" marketing mumbo jumbo.

Someone on the Chrysler forum was displeased with it and ripped the whole system out and installed his own 7 speaker/amplifier setup, says its MUCH better. Though he is using a sound processor and he is also an audio engineer.

To me the 18 speaker system probably sounds good, but I've never heard it. I don't know if I can justify the $2,000 price tag, more doesn't = better (except for horsepower  Cool ).
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2013, 01:46:20 PM »

7 of the speakers share mounting location, the tweeter is mechanically mounted with the midrange
(3) dash
(2) rear door
(2) rear deck
= 14 speakers

(2) front door 6x9 speakers
(2) rear 6x9 speakers (I'm assuming in the rear side panel)
= 18 speakers

plus (1) subwoofer

"18 speaker system" marketing mumbo jumbo.

Someone on the Chrysler forum was displeased with it and ripped the whole system out and installed his own 7 speaker/amplifier setup, says its MUCH better. Though he is using a sound processor and he is also an audio engineer.

To me the 18 speaker system probably sounds good, but I've never heard it. I don't know if I can justify the $2,000 price tag, more doesn't = better (except for horsepower  Cool ).

Neil Young disagrees .  .  .

Grin

I say remove the back seat and replace it with a couple of these .  .  .

03_TrueBlue_GT
Grand Master

Doug

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2013, 03:01:54 AM »

@03_TrueBlue_GT, Crutchfield has an overview on the Mustang
http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/2001-2004-ford-mustang.html

Thanks Fox I appreciate it! Also I knew/heard that the Mach sound systems are rather crappy. I just don't know much about this stuff to know how crappy or good it is...

Lone Fox

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2014, 11:58:40 PM »

http://www.diablosport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=47166

Well that sure would open up some doors, IF it happens. Since there is not much you can do to these cars (at the moment), except a really cool sound Mopar exhaust, but I don't know if I can justify $1,300 price tag.
Lone Fox

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2014, 05:58:33 PM »

Anybody have any experience with tuner systems?
Lone Fox

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2014, 06:04:08 PM »

"They" say that modern Chrysler's dash and door speakers are the same distance from the listener's position, so I grabbed my tape measure...

The left dash and left door speaker grills are about 3' 5" away from my left ear
The right dash and right door speaker grills are about 4' away from my right ear

Time Alignment is a fancy and costly feature that for whatever reason isn't standard on modern multimedia receivers (why not, it's 2014???). Since the speaker distance is the same, I'm happy that I can probably get away without it.

*disclosed: unscientifically measured Grin
Lone Fox

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2014, 06:07:47 PM »

.... Still has some road noise (I'm hoping its the mismatched tire).

late update, but yeah the road noise was from the mismatched chines tire. Took me long enough to get a Michelin tire on there.
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2014, 12:19:59 AM »

Unfortunately, I don't have experience with any kind of tuning products.  Trying it with the Boxster sounds like it could be fun.  But some brief online research seems to suggest that this stuff is expensive !  This seems to be a universal thing as evidenced by the $1,300 exhaust upgrade for your car mentioned above.  I can get a turbo kit for the Boxster for $10k.  Yeah, I'll get right on that.

I'm not familiar with "Time Alignment."  Sounds like a term from Back to the Future .  .  .

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: