theautolounge.net
December 11, 2017, 09:03:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Miss-matching tires  (Read 2243 times)
Lone Fox

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2013, 08:08:43 PM »

I feel really stupid, because I didn't notice that my new car has a miss-matched tire. On top of that, the independent shop guy I paid $80 to inspect the car didn't note it either.

Michelin Primacy MXV4 225/55R17 - FR, RR, RL
Primewell PZ900 225/55R17 - FL

Now, since I have the "Touring" addition its at lease nice to know I have the upgraded MXV4 tires, because the standard tires suck... I know this because I had a 200 rental I drove in the snow last winter, and I wasn't sure if I was going to make it back home. This guys cost too, $183/ at Tire Rack. I wonder if this is where my road noise is coming from?

So yeah, when you go car shopping don't forget to check the simple things.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueZ6tvqhk8U" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueZ6tvqhk8U</a>
lol ^ one of my Drill Infrastructures use to sing this song when something was out of place.
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 10:29:25 PM »

If the pictures I am seeing are accurate, it looks like they are two completely different tread patterns.  I would go as far as to say that the Primewell may be a directional tire.  So, be careful on what side of the car it is placed.

Michelin tires are a double-edge sword.  They will last a long time if properly inflated/rotated.  And they will deliver a very smooth and quiet ride.  But, they are quite expensive compared to others.  And, if you don't drive that many miles, you may find that they will rot out before they wear out.  I'm not familiar with Primewell at all.  But it is possible that the Primewell may not last as long as the Michelins.

Like you, I find it odd that the vehicle inspector didn't make a note of the difference .  .  .

Lone Fox

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 12:49:19 AM »

The Primewell tires are Chinese (manufactured), and apparently any traction in snow is purely "accidental".

They do look directional, I was thinking I would move theme to the rear just to see if the road noise follows.

I'm accepting donations for a new $180 MXV4 tire  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: