theautolounge.net
January 21, 2018, 02:27:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: hunting/target optics  (Read 620 times)
heretic
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2009, 02:04:14 PM »

has anyone here tried any of the  rifle scopes from meade optics? Every since they took over bushnell and tasco, they now have 50% of the market in rifle scopes (this includes their other little brands like barska, A1 optics, and a few others). I know they are chinese made, and I do not expect them to be on the level of a Hensoldt Zeiss, but for the price difference they might be a better deal. I bought an NC Star from a dealer on ebay (New Century is the old tasco company), because it was $50 for a 6x24x50 with a range finder and an illuminated recticle. For that price it is worth a day of fun trying it out, and I will give it away if I do not like it.
I am planning on trying the NC Star scope out on my 22 250. It has a bull barrel, so recoil is almost nonexistant.

I am also looking at konus scopes. I like the engraved mil-dot reticle with the blue illumination. I might try one of those on my 338 win mag. that thing really kicks, so it is hard on scopes

I don't have an attitude problem... You have a "being an asshole" problem
LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 08:00:02 AM »

I have not used the scopes buddy, but, I have two meade telescopes. For what that is worth, I feel the optics are ok, however, I feel the overall product quality leaves something to be desired. The parts feel cheap and teh action isnt what I have felt on more expensive models. I suppose that is the key as always. You get what you pay for.

heretic
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 09:32:23 PM »

I decided to go ahead and order the top of the line, Italian Konus. They are supposed to be equal to or superior to a Swarovski, but without the steep price. The Konus is a little more than $500. The comparable Swarovski is over $3.000

The rifle I am putting this on is a custom built 22 250, with a mauser action and a 26 inch bull barrel. I want a scope that is solid enough to shoot at distances of 300 yards accurately. The gun is good enough to handle 500 yard shots, but I am not good enough to say I can consistently shoot accurately at that distance

VR6 Man
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 09:41:20 PM »

I decided to go ahead and order the top of the line, Italian Konus. They are supposed to be equal to or superior to a Swarovski, but without the steep price. The Konus is a little more than $500. The comparable Swarovski is over $3.000

The rifle I am putting this on is a custom built 22 250, with a mauser action and a 26 inch bull barrel. I want a scope that is solid enough to shoot at distances of 300 yards accurately. The gun is good enough to handle 500 yard shots, but I am not good enough to say I can consistently shoot accurately at that distance

Mauser action. Explain that one if you could. I know what bolt action and lever action are, and obviously pump action. But never heard of mauser action... Or does it not even have to do with loading?

Dub World: For VW enthusiasts.
heretic
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 10:01:01 PM »

this is a bolt action target rifle. it is the kind made for competition shooting. The receiver and bolt are modified model 98 units similar to the WWII sniper rifles. The bolt was removed, and a custom one welded on, to clear a low mount scope. Mausers never came chambered in 22 250 (that is an American wildcat round). This one was hand built by a very good gunsmith, so the stock is glass bedded, and the barrel is floated

heretic
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 05:22:05 PM »

Ok, I put the NC Star on my 22 250 this morning........I was really impressed. I did not expect the optics or the sights to be as good as they were. I am nut sure this would be a good scope for my 338 win mag, but for something that does not kick any harder than a varmit rifle, I felt it was really a nice scope. I still think I am going to try the konus out on the 22 250, and most likely demote the NC Star to the 25 06, but even that is a fun little shooter
I like the idea of the laser etched glass reticle instead of metallic crosshairs, so if the konus is as good as they say it is, I am going to put one on the 338, and demote the 4x12 leupold scope to the 257 roberts (the 20 year old bushnell on it is showing it's age)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: