theautolounge.net
January 20, 2018, 06:34:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Chrysler 200  (Read 2771 times)
Lone Fox

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2013, 07:20:29 PM »

I realize you guys probably hate this car, but bear with me.

After driving grandma style in my Honda for about a week (I couldn't go over 2300rpm or 60mph without going into Limp mode), I finally received the parts I needed. As all know, things do not always go as planned, and I was left with a car in even worse driving conditions - inoperable. I have a hard time asking for help, so asking a co-worker for a ride to work wasn't an easy thing for me to do particularly because no-one that I know even lives on my side of town.

Part of my "emergency budget" is a car rental - just in case I get into a accident, or if my car ends up in "the shop", or in my case as a "driveway ornament". I'm a member of USAA, so I receive a car-rental discount and special perks from either Avis, Budget, Enterprise, or Hertz. I also get insurance coverage so i don't have to pay the hefty $18-$25/day over the counter car rental insurance; we are talking an approximately additional $140 a week. The "Young driver fee" is also waived, which is an additional $27/day - unfortunately fortunately I'm not "young" anymore. In the unfortunate case I do get in a accident with my car rental the "Loss of Use" fee is waived, and I'm only liable for the first $5,000 in damages IF USAA decides to not pay for all damages - this NEVER happens if the renter is not at fault. Since I have managed not to wreck any motor vehicles for the 14 years I've held my license, I decided to take the risk and decline the over the counter insurance that the rental agents push so hard to sell you (I suppose they get a commission?).

I will admit, as I walked into the Enterprise chain office, I felt a little uneasy. I recalled my last rental, I booked a "midsize sedan" and they handed me keys to a PT Cruiser. Enterprise decided upon themselves that PT Cruiser was a "midsize", so I was stuck with it. This time I booked a compact class car, and I noticed an older Hyundai Accent sitting in the parking lot. Not the newly re-engineered version, but the older pear looking Accent.

Luckily they didn't have an compacts available, so I was upgraded free of charge to a Chrysler 200.

This isn't yesterday's Sebring
Although the 200 sits on the Sebring platform, there have been numerous changes. Stiffer body mounts, softer ride, revised suspension, rear sway bar, upgraded standard tires. Engineers lowered the suspension and widened the track, added stiffer bushings and thicker anti-roll bars. Yes, I realize this isn't a drivers car, but I've spent several hours in the old Sebring (Government fleet vehicle) and I will declare that the 200 goes through corners with more liveliness, less rolling. Its even feels better than my '05 Accord, although I'm not sure how wore out my Honda's suspension is after 153,### miles.

The interior is far much better than the Sebring, higher quality materials, tighter tolerances thanks to the softer materials used, higher quality cloth seats, and very noticeable measures to decrease NVH (noise, vibration, harshness). Three big dials give focused driver info under a sculptured dash. The climate control knobs are very simplistic looking, but they have a very refined feel to them and are far better than many 'push-button' styled climate controls some cars have. I find the cloth seats to be very quality like, and the cabin is quiet.

Because engineers had to work with the Sebring, and where on a tight deadline, the design is not eye catching or noteworthy. A new hood, frontal area, and fenders help 'modernize' it a bit. The LED-accented headlights and Halogen lights actually add a lot of prestige on the outside, and remarkable night time visibility for the driver. Even the base model 200 - my rental for example, has the LED-accented Halogen headlights. In the back, features include new tailights with LEDs and bumper valance. The details are there, but its up to the individual to notice theme or not.

no gusto
Yes, the "LX" will be and is a popular fleet car. The carry-over 2.4-liter VVT four-cylinder and four-speed automatic transmission are featured. When I first sat in the car and turned the key, I was really hoping for the 283-hp Pentastar V6 (matched with 6-speed auto transmission); not all rental fleets are the base-trim models, I once rented a V6 Pontiac G6 with a sunroof. Unfortunately, the minute I drove out of the parking lot I could tell it was the old 2.4-liter. Its not a bad engine, the car isn't "slow", but it does feel a little gutless especially merging onto a highway with the truck flying up behind you doing 65mph. I can only imagine the Pentastar engine pulls with much more gusto, and probably has a much better sounding exhaust note.

Its a bandaid
Rumors are that Chrysler has been clever, they took a subpar product and in 12 months completely changed it into a noteworthy competitor. You can pick up a used 200 for $13,000. If Chrysler did this in one year, what will the truly "all new" Chrysler/Fiat mid-size be like, since they will be working on it for 4 years.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:39:11 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged
VTEC_Dreams
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 09:58:55 PM »

My wife had one of those as a rental car for a week long business trip out of town and we putzed around in it before she left to make sure it worked okay.

It was a shitheap in my opinion. It has a shitty engine, a shitty transmission, shitty steering, and a shitty chassis.

The other stuff Dodge and Chryco are doing right now are terrific--the Dart and updated Charger and Chally in particular--but that car is just not good. It needs to be gone or updated, because it makes the rest of their lineup look bad. 

Anyhow...
Lone Fox

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 11:45:04 PM »

When you say "it" I assume the LX 4-cylinder 4 speed model. I stand by that the 200 is significantly better than the Sebring, Fiat and Chrysler managers had an emergency meeting and gave their engineers only 1 year with a constrained budget.

Don't worry, its going away  Tongue. The all new 2015 200 is rumored to feature an Fiat-derived platform, Tigershark engines, and their new 9-speed auto.
racer91
Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 05:24:53 AM »

My mom has one, after driving a focus I wasn't impressed either. She likes it though. says the gas mileage sucks though

MayberrySS
Grand Master

RIP 98 Z28!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 12:21:23 PM »

Not a fan, I think they are cheap and quality is laughable.

2001 Camaro SS H/C/I/E
Lone Fox

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 04:40:05 PM »

I'm curious why you think the quality is laughable?

And... does anybody know why the second picture is showing sideways? The strangest thing I have ever seen
MayberrySS
Grand Master

RIP 98 Z28!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 10:45:02 PM »

I've seen the interior in the new chryslers and i still think they look cheesy and plastic. I don't like the lay outs and design.

I will however say Ford has some amazing interior design that is eye catching and comfortable in their new cars. ie:new focus

Chevy's is okay for the most part, The cruze is well laid out and clean and is a good looking car. But you can thank the holden department for that.

I realize not all of these cars are in the same comparable class but from what I have seen personally I can say the Ford is the best. I even looked at the new Darts and was not feeling it.

2001 Camaro SS H/C/I/E
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 12:20:27 AM »

I'm curious why you think the quality is laughable?

And... does anybody know why the second picture is showing sideways? The strangest thing I have ever seen

Generally, that emblem on the hood is usually accompanied by a whole host of gremlins for which a definite remedy may or may not exist.  Now, that was in the past.  Hopefully, things have gotten better with the passage of time.

And I was wondering about the sideways picture myself .  .  .

Editor's Note:  Ok, I fixed the sideways photo.  Apparently, the issue is with the photo itself.  When I go to the site in question, all the photos display properly.  However, when I try to insert any   of the "portrait" orientation photos, (as opposed to "landscape" orientation), they all show up sideways.  When I download the photo to my computer, then open it in Windows Live Photo Gallery, it shows up sideways.  Once I change it, it will stay that way.  So, I uploaded it to my SkyDrive and modified your post.

Now, like I have said many times before, I can tell you what I have discovered, and what I did to fix the issue.  But, I really have no idea what that actually means, or what the root cause of the problem actually is.  It has something to do with the site where the photos are posted .  .  .
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:45:35 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 12:58:39 AM »

Regarding the 200, itself, I look at it the way I do a majority of all new cars. 

~  I see its exterior styling as contemporary and unoffensive, yet uninspired and not unique by any means. 
~  I see the interior styling as tastefully done with a good infusion of brightwork, yet devoid of any "Wow" factor. 
~  I see its performance as pretty remarkable  -  a V-6 car will go 14.9 seconds in the quarter mile ! 
~  I give Chrysler credit for offering the car in drop-top form.

In short, I see a car that seems to be pretty good at what it does, yet incredibly short on any kind of character.  And as many of you have probably guessed by now, this is my problem with the modern automobile industry, and the primary reason why any purchase I make will probably be from a bygone era .  .  .

Lone Fox

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 01:15:35 AM »

...I see its performance as pretty remarkable  -  a V-6 car will go 14.9 seconds in the quarter mile ! 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2AbKOVRR2c" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2AbKOVRR2c</a>  Grin
Lone Fox

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 03:42:17 AM »

My mom has one, after driving a focus I wasn't impressed either. She likes it though. says the gas mileage sucks though

I've seen the interior in the new chryslers and i still think they look cheesy and plastic. I don't like the lay outs and design.

I will however say Ford has some amazing interior design that is eye catching and comfortable in their new cars. ie:new focus

Chevy's is okay for the most part, The cruze is well laid out and clean and is a good looking car. But you can thank the holden department for that.

I realize not all of these cars are in the same comparable class but from what I have seen personally I can say the Ford is the best. I even looked at the new Darts and was not feeling it.

I noticed both of you mentioned the Focus. Strange how perceptions are...

I've had this Focus SE for 24-hour rental earlier this week. Although I liked it, I was so glad to get back into my 200.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 03:48:17 AM by Lone Fox » Logged
Lone Fox

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 03:47:44 AM »

2015 200 spy shots

Looks like they adopted the anonymous greenhouse "4 door coupe" styling that many middle-classed sedans have these days.
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 01:28:37 PM »

I think you're right on the "anonymous greenhouse" comment.  I've been impressed with the Focus ever since the first re-design back in 2005, especially on the inside of the car .  .  .

Lone Fox

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 03:50:31 PM »

via: http://jalopnik.com/2015-chrysler-200-a-mopar-midsizer-you-wont-be-embarr-1496610890

as suspected the base engine will be the Tigershark I4. The Pentastar V6 is more powerful @ 295 hp/262 lb-ft.

Design wise I'm a little disappointed. Do not get me wrong, it looks to be a stylish sedan, but I was hoping for a more 'boxy' look (Citroen DS5 LS) rather than the swoopy coupe-sedan style that ever mid-size sedan has today. It's the nature of the business I suppose, every century of cars have similar design language - since the 1930's.
Lone Fox

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 05:15:43 PM »

Man this car is getting lots of hate, along with some love, but lots of hate.

You never know, just look at Ford's midsize sedan:
Fusion = Taurus

Maybe Chrysler should have held off renaming the Sebring?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: