theautolounge.net
December 11, 2017, 09:05:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: weird resto project that came into my shop  (Read 5677 times)
heretic
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2012, 10:46:56 PM »

this is a Miniature train, made for the 1952 Alaska state fair

there are only about 70 of these known to exist, and only about 50 of those are functioning

I don't have an attitude problem... You have a "being an asshole" problem
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 11:49:30 PM »

I see we've made some progress compared to the pics you posted a few months ago.  Well done !

MontereyDave
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 12:50:11 AM »

Wow, my hometown of Greenville, NC had a similar train.  Perhaps you can tell if it is even the same make/model.  Some of my earliest memories include this train but I remember seeing it garaged and then it was gone.  Here's some pics I found on my hometown's Facebook page and the photo archives of the Daily Reflector newspaper.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=o.116424616616&type=3

http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/reflector/search.aspx?q=elm%2btrain&climit=reflector

Imran
So nice to meet you.
Global Moderator
Grand Master

So nice to meet you.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 04:30:24 AM »

Strikingly similar to the one Heretic is restoring!
heretic
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 10:54:30 AM »

YES...it is a MTC G16 (Miniature Train Co, 16 gauge). In fact that is what the one I am working on would have looked like originally. I stretched the one I am working on, and put the door in the side of it, myself. 

Adam might remember another one. Maybe a black one a Kiddiland in Chicago? The owner of the ones I am working on has an offer pending on that one as well. It has been disassembeled and is sitting in Florida

I aso have this one at the shop

This is Hurlbut number 1010. Bud Hurlbut had a partnership with Walter Knott of Knott's Berry Farm. Aside from the trains there, he made 12 for other operators. This one was made for the Last Frontier hotel in Vegas, and delivered in 1950

LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 11:47:33 AM »

I remember kiddiland in melrose park here. Sadly, I never made it there though. The place has closed now and when it was in its heyday, I was in Florida.  Tongue

What color are you going to paint the restored one Lee?

heretic
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 02:29:15 PM »

I had spectra chrome on order, but hurricane sandy messed up my supplier's inventory
the luxury liners of the 40s were sheeted in stainless steel, so I wanted it to look like a polished finish. The paint scheme I want is the old Santa Fe, Super chief.

This is the one tghat was originally at Kiddiland...the current owner paid $70,000 for it, after it was disassembeled
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaJGSxD0iic

here it is now, and we have an offer of $40,000 on it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVrWSnYPMBU&feature=related

these things sell for $120,000 to $160,000 completely restored
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 02:31:17 PM by heretic » Logged

MontereyDave
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 03:04:08 PM »

That's so cool!  I hope you can find another supplier for the paint.  The look of polished metal will really give it period correct charm.

LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 08:17:53 AM »

I had spectra chrome on order, but hurricane sandy messed up my supplier's inventory
the luxury liners of the 40s were sheeted in stainless steel, so I wanted it to look like a polished finish. The paint scheme I want is the old Santa Fe, Super chief.

This is the one tghat was originally at Kiddiland...the current owner paid $70,000 for it, after it was disassembeled
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaJGSxD0iic

here it is now, and we have an offer of $40,000 on it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVrWSnYPMBU&feature=related

these things sell for $120,000 to $160,000 completely restored

The last few seconds of the second youtube the tag says rennseler indiana. That place is only two hours from me. Interesting. I need to ask the stupid question, what kind of power plant do these have?

heretic
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 10:19:47 PM »

the MTC company was in Indiana
Each engine has a serial number, and each car has a serial number in their particular intended order after the engine. The engine above (my pic) is 720, so car numbers 721-725 are accounted for. G16 owners have revived the original registry, so you can find out a limited history on the higher profile trains

the engines are V4 wisconsin flatheads...and since wistonsin is still in business they did the resto on the engine for the one I am working on
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 10:23:54 PM by heretic » Logged

LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 09:50:39 AM »

the MTC company was in Indiana
Each engine has a serial number, and each car has a serial number in their particular intended order after the engine. The engine above (my pic) is 720, so car numbers 721-725 are accounted for. G16 owners have revived the original registry, so you can find out a limited history on the higher profile trains

the engines are V4 wisconsin flatheads...and since wistonsin is still in business they did the resto on the engine for the one I am working on

A gasoline engine? Wow. For some reason, I thought they were battery powered. Kinda like the real ones. Althought they use batteries recharged by deisel. Interesting.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: