theautolounge.net
January 20, 2018, 06:41:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Fire damage  (Read 3693 times)
LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2012, 10:25:12 AM »

It was almost a total loss.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 11:31:44 AM by LSixer » Logged

MontereyDave
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 11:02:34 AM »

Dang!  What a loss.  Was everyone okay?

LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 11:17:22 AM »

Dang!  What a loss.  Was everyone okay?

Yes Dave, that was the most important thing. The garage was detached and none of my family was home at the time. The neighbor saw smoke and called the fire department.

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 11:24:09 AM »

That's a heartbreaking experience.  Glad to hear nobody was injured.  Am I seeing this right ?  It looks like the damage was limited to the exterior surfaces.  While it got the tool kit mounted to the trunk lid, it looks like the clothing in the trunk was not damaged.  Is the car still "operational ?"

LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 12:20:48 PM »

That's a heartbreaking experience.  Glad to hear nobody was injured.  Am I seeing this right ?  It looks like the damage was limited to the exterior surfaces.  While it got the tool kit mounted to the trunk lid, it looks like the clothing in the trunk was not damaged.  Is the car still "operational ?"

I keep telling myself it is only "things" that were destroyed. However, that isnt working very well for me. As far as operational, I am not sure. I havent tried to start the car yet. The heat was so intense in the garage, it melted many things. What I am worried about is the fuel system may have been comprimised and I run the risk of the car starting fire if I try to start it.

I am going to have to move the car somewhere and store it. I may take it to a local indy shop look at it and see what they think. I'll let everyone know what happens when I get there. Thank you.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 01:22:02 PM by LSixer » Logged

VTEC_Dreams
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 12:39:01 PM »

Holy Shit, Six. That's a bummer and a half.

Glad you and yours are safe and sound, but I can imagine that this is tough for you. You'll get through it brother. Just keep telling yourself that there are lots and lots and lots of awesome cars to be had if the 6 isn't salvageable, and the world makes tons of replacements for everything else you lost. Like you said, it's just stuff, and it is.

Hearts out, man.

Anyhow...
LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 01:35:10 PM »

Holy Shit, Six. That's a bummer and a half.

Glad you and yours are safe and sound, but I can imagine that this is tough for you. You'll get through it brother. Just keep telling yourself that there are lots and lots and lots of awesome cars to be had if the 6 isn't salvageable, and the world makes tons of replacements for everything else you lost. Like you said, it's just stuff, and it is.

Hearts out, man.

Thanks brother. They make replacement parts, but, in my infinite wisdom, the six only carried liability insurance, so, no money to fix it.

What really bothered me more I suppose was losing my golfcart that I bought for my children.

VR6 Man
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 02:23:35 PM »

That sucks LSixer.

All I can say is, I've seen people bring much worse-off VWs back to show winning quality. Looks like it'd be a full on restoration (at least the entire rear) but you could do it. The hard part would be if the panels are warped. Everything else would just require sourcing all the parts and re-wiring the thing.

Dub World: For VW enthusiasts.
Rather B.Blown
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 02:32:03 PM »

You said it only had liability, what about homeowner's since it was destroyed at the house and it was technically part of the contents of the house?

LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 03:07:29 PM »

That sucks LSixer.

All I can say is, I've seen people bring much worse-off VWs back to show winning quality. Looks like it'd be a full on restoration (at least the entire rear) but you could do it. The hard part would be if the panels are warped. Everything else would just require sourcing all the parts and re-wiring the thing.

It would take years Tyler. The garage that burned up was where I did all my work. My tools went up in smoke too, or suffered significant water damage. I am not sure my ex-wife is going to get it rebuilt to the level it was before the fire. We'll see. Truthfully, I am not sure if I could even afford it, I would even want to. Time to march forward and part it out.

Lee, I was under the impression that it was covered that way as well. Turns out, State Farm doesnt do that. Guess who will never use State Farm for homeowners anymore. I insure all my cars with them, but, when Nancy and I purchase our home, I will be sure to check into another company.

heretic
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 09:43:20 PM »

car is repairable. I know I have built show quality rides from worse. . I wish you could have seen either my 55 chevy pickup or my 47 ford pickup when I started with them.  I had to rebuild the frame, fender wells and trunk floor on the healey I did last winter. it was far worse off then the 6

I would talk to a lawyer about the coverage before giving up. I know that in CA insurance companies have to cover legal outbuildings, but they will often try to weasel out of paying out on them.

I don't have an attitude problem... You have a "being an asshole" problem
Imran
So nice to meet you.
Global Moderator
Grand Master

So nice to meet you.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 04:33:20 AM »

Hopefully it's fixable as the others are saying, Adam. Sorry to hear, and good luck!
Fluxx
Grand Master

Lasciate Ogni Speranza

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 05:05:21 AM »

That sucks man. I've seen cars come back from worse, but I can't imagine work on a high option car like that would be cheap. I'd definately talk to a lawyer about State Farms refusal to pay.
LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 11:19:22 AM »

It may be repairable, I am not sure I can, nor want to. Not sure I can because the garage it was in needs to be completely rebuilt, and I am not sure my ex is going to do that, and if so, when. Also, many of my tools were damaged in the fire. Strike two. Lastly, money is key. Not enough of that by a long shot.

Maybe I will send it out to northern california and let the master tinker on it.  Smiley

heretic
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 02:37:05 PM »

sure...you did want it back with an injected 427 BBC, right?

Only a minor hood mod needed since it has dual throttle bodies on an old dual 4 bbl corvette intake...

I don't have an attitude problem... You have a "being an asshole" problem
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: