theautolounge.net
January 18, 2018, 09:16:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some cool architecture photos  (Read 3247 times)
LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2012, 02:46:49 PM »

I found these on the web. I am a closet fan of uber cool architecture.

Cool basement pool.

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 06:43:07 PM »

That home is a perfect fit for the surroundings.  There's enough greenery there to warrant a full-time gardening staff.

When I was in the travel business, one of the guys in the office used to organize bus trips for the local senior center, church groups, clubs and organizations, etc.  One of Doc's frequent stops was Fallingwater  -  a Frank Lloyd Wright house in Stewart Township, Pennsylvania.  An incredible place that I never got to see .  .  .

Click for the website !

LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 10:08:52 AM »

I heard sometime ago that the cantilever was deteriorating. They were going to restore it. I'll have a look at the website a little later. They may have already finished it and it is explained on the website.  Smiley

VR6 Man
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 06:19:55 PM »

I've been to Falling Water and it is a really cool house. Its a good day trip for me.

Dub World: For VW enthusiasts.
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 01:06:34 AM »

InterestingEngineering.com recently posted a question on Google Plus .  .  .

Would you be ok sleeping here ?

Click for the post !

Uhm .  .  .  Y E S  !  !  !

Don't know if this is legit or not.  But I think it's a really cool idea .  .  .
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 01:09:22 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

MontereyDave
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 09:44:10 PM »

Oh man, that last pic reminds me of waking up in a high rise hotel after a night of serious partying.  The bed was flush up against a wall of windows and I woke up looking straight down from the 15th floor.  Crazy feeling!

Axe
Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 08:34:08 AM »

Cool houses. I don't like pushing the laws of nature that much so "NO! Hell No I wouldn't like sleeping there."

I mean I would do it once or twice to push my limits but I wouldn't be comfortable living there long term. A structure like that will fall at some point. It may last 150 yrs but it has to come down at some point. I feel you are just tempting fate every day you are there.

And Dave I know what you mean about waking up by the window. Nowadays I ask for a lower floor if they have one available. Just keep in mind that a 100' ariel ladder only reaches to the 7th floor, lol. They make 160'-200' bucket trucks but most cities don't own them.
MontereyDave
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 12:46:11 PM »

Cool houses. I don't like pushing the laws of nature that much so "NO! Hell No I wouldn't like sleeping there."

I mean I would do it once or twice to push my limits but I wouldn't be comfortable living there long term. A structure like that will fall at some point. It may last 150 yrs but it has to come down at some point. I feel you are just tempting fate every day you are there.

And Dave I know what you mean about waking up by the window. Nowadays I ask for a lower floor if they have one available. Just keep in mind that a 100' ariel ladder only reaches to the 7th floor, lol. They make 160'-200' bucket trucks but most cities don't own them.

That sounds like wise advice, Axe.  I lived in an apt on the 15th floor is Seoul from 1996-2000 and never thought once about the fact that I'd be stuck up there if a fire broke out.  The eeriest part about it to me is that we would feel the building sway ever so slightly back and forth.  That was somewhat unnerving. 

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 12:23:10 AM »

I don't know what it is.  But I would thoroughly enjoy going to sleep/waking up each day to what is probably a tremendous view, regardless of the risk.  Maybe it's me.  I'm goofy like that .  .  .

Axe
Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 12:39:29 AM »

Todd I'm glad that you would enjoy that. I love to see the diversity in people
 That's what makes life interesting. I've just seen too many freak accidents to enjoy that one.
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 09:11:45 AM »

I've said this in the past  -  I would definitely buy a copy of your memoirs whenever you pen them.  The stories of some of those "freak accidents" would be quite fascinating, at least to me.  And not from a morbid standpoint.  The curves that life can throw at us have always piqued my interest .  .  .

Maslpfan

get some!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 02:32:19 AM »

that looks so awesome, I still wanna make a house out of shipping containers though lol

2002 Chevy Silverado Z71
1987 Olds Cutlass Supreme
1989 Pontiac GTA WS6
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 09:47:15 PM »

For the avid readers among us .  .  .

Click for more info !

This is the Royal Portuguese Cabinet of Reading in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.  The woodwork and details are beautiful !

« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:06:01 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: