theautolounge.net
January 23, 2018, 05:35:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My new-found respect for Carl Edwards . . .  (Read 976 times)
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2012, 01:26:26 PM »

I want to make one thing clear  -  I don't follow NASCAR.  While I have heard the names, I don't really know who's who in the world of NASCAR racing.  So, no, I don't have a "favorite driver" or a "favorite race" like a lot of fans.  I can't tell you who won last week's race, or who drives what car.  Most of what I hear regarding NASCAR comes from whatever news headlines I see throughout the day.

However, I do know that Carl Edwards is a native of Columbia, Missouri, and a good customer at Joe Machens Ford Lincoln Mercury where I worked from 2003 - 2009.  He has filmed commercials at the dealership.  I remember after we were all assembled as shown in the photo below, before filming started, Carl turned around to all of us and said something like, "I want to thank all of you for taking good care of my mom and my grandparents.  I really appreciate it."  That was a nice thing to say.

I am in that picture somewhere in the back.  In fact, on that day, I remember being in the service lane at a service advisor's desk when he walked right past me.  We exchanged "hellos" with me not having the faintest idea who he was at the time, (like I said, I don't follow NASCAR).  But, knowing that we were filming a commercial coupled with the uniform he was wearing kicked the light bulb on in my head. 

I've worked on his mom's car many times.  Nancy was always super-nice and drove a cool Roush Mustang.  I've also worked on his grandparent's Expedition a couple of times.  Great people !

Some of you may have seen the news regarding the death of a fan at the Pennsylvania 400 race at Pocono Raceway in Long Pond, Pennsylvania on August 5, 2012.  Apparently, the race was called due to the presence of severe thunderstorms in the area.  As fans were leaving the track, two lightning strikes were recorded on the property, one of which resulted in the death of a 41 year old father of 3, and injured 9 others. 

After the events, Carl Edwards contacted those fans who were injured by the lightning strike, which I think is a pretty awesome thing to do.  But, that's not what got my attention.  When asked all the usual "give us your thoughts" questions by the news media, Carl said something really, really great .  .  .

"I don't want this to come across harsh or anything, because I have a huge amount of sympathy for what happened, but at the end of the day every person is responsible for themselves," he said. "Now, it is NASCAR's and our jobs -- if we can, anyone with the technology at the track or NASCAR -- if we can advise someone and give them information, it's your moral obligation to do that. But I think at the end of the day it's a good wake-up call for all of us, whether we're at a race track or walking out of the shopping center to our cars that they issue storm warnings for a reason. I know myself personally, I've taken that stuff pretty lightly, even growing up in Missouri with all the severe weather we don't really think it's going to happen to us. But I think at the end of the day, it's each person's individual responsibility."

Advocating personal responsibility ?  That can't be because our worthless news media would never allow it.  How in the world did this get past the proofreaders ? 

Maybe there is hope for us .  .  .

Rather B.Blown
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 11:10:35 PM »

I'm a Carl Edwards fan, really like the person he seems to be. Never met him, but I was drawn to him when my last driver retired. I'm pretty loyal, when I find a driver I like I stick with them. Not a fair weather fan at all, I don't jump on bandwagons just because someone is winning. I'm not a diehard, never miss anything kind of NASCAR fan, but I do follow it. I started out as a David Pearson fan when I was young, then went to Bill Elliott, then Davey Allison, then Dale Jarrett (notice a pattern of who I root for based on what they drive? lol). Even stuck with Jarrett when he went to a Toyota, but when he retired I went to Carl. I've met most of the ones I've followed (and many others), but haven't met Carl yet. If you ever get a chance to meet Michael Waltrip, don't miss it. He is a really good guy, hes just as goofy and he seems on tv, but a truly nice guy. Huge dude, he must be about 6'5" or better, hard to believe he folds his big ass into one of those cars (if you've ever been around one in person you know what I mean).

I tend to be turned off from the ones that seem to be assholes, I like the ones that seem to be nice guys. 

MontereyDave
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 11:54:24 AM »

It is nice to hear that Carl Edwards is a good guy.  He seems down to Earth on TV; glad to hear it's genuine.

This is a great thread.  It's got me thinking about some of the famous racers I've met and how some were jerks and some were friendly, great guys that didn't seem to take their fame and success for granted.

LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 12:26:08 PM »

After pondering this, I was trying to remember, who is that driver that Michelle was breathing fire about before? I cannot find the post.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: