theautolounge.net
January 19, 2018, 01:27:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Time for a new computer  (Read 2839 times)
Lone Fox

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 10:16:09 AM »

I selling my current hardware... thanks to eBay

The Ivy Bridge i3 and Pentiums are finally coming out. SSDs are continually on sale.

Still not sure what I'm going to get... and its been over a month since this thread  Grin
Lone Fox

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 10:20:23 AM »

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=28043468

maybe
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 01:14:37 PM »

Oldcars, please do not get that $1600 ASUS... haha

Thats really for power users or users that want to play games on a laptop.

I think you could benefit with either...

Reformatting your current notebook and installing a SSD

Or if you really want an adventure, look for something new... a notebook with either a AMD A-series quad core APU or go Intel i3 with HD 3000 graphics

What's nice about the newer Samsung laptops is that they come with a restore OEM disc with the Windows 7 data ON THE DISC unlike some other brands. You could take out the hard drive (especially if its a 5400 rpm drive) and throw in a SSD with the latest drivers, pop in the OEM disc, install Windows 7 and run Windows Update, then install any missing drivers from the Samsung website you may need/or want. You could probably do this with other brands also, but you may need to order a restore disc.

The only problem I can think of is... SSDs require a little bit of configuring. Well, not so much require but highly recommended. Windows 7 helps a lot, so its not a big deal.

No worries, I didn't get it.  And, I only looked at it because it was on sale for $1,399.  It seemed like a good deal.

Regarding my current Toshiba U205, is it actually possible  -  or advisable  -  to throw a bunch of new state-of-the-art parts at a 7 year old machine ?  This is an area where I have no experience at all.  Other than upgrading the RAM and taking it apart to blow the dust out of it, I have never done anything like this before.  But, my initial impression is that while the processor and drives may be new, the screen, power supply, cooling fan, keyboard, etc. are all 7 years old.  Does this make sense ?  Yes, all these things could be replaced as well, but at what cost, (i.e. is this a cost-effective approach).  If I have to replace the screen, I would like to upgrade from this one-step-above-a-smart-phone 12 inch display and go to full HD.

Am I making sense ?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 06:48:05 PM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Lone Fox

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2012, 02:39:49 AM »

sorry, had to go to work.

Regarding my current Toshiba U205, is it actually possible  -  or advisable  -  to throw a bunch of new state-of-the-art parts at a 7 year old machine ?... .

Possible yes - well just the hard drive, RAM, and processor if there is a higher up version with the same socket; you can't really change any other hardware on a notebook.

As for advisable... I have no clue. I guess it would depend on how satisfied you are with the notebook.

As for your Toshiba U205; a SSD will speed up the boot process, accelerate the loading of apps, and give a noticeable "snappier" responsiveness. The Core 2 Duo doesn't really have anything better to upgrade to on that socket.

As for the screen, it almost sounds like you want a bigger one? Worth upgrade to a new laptop in my opinion, but thats just me, I like some realestate space.

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2012, 11:51:29 AM »

This machine is a hand-me-down from my ex-wife, (to replace an Averatec that was also a hand-me-down from her).  One of her primary concerns when selecting a laptop was portability, since she would be taking it to class with her.  This machine with its handy 12 inch screen fit the bill.  I am not concerned with portability.  So, yes  -  I want a bigger screen, and 1920 x 1080 full HD. 

I have a camera that shoots HD video, and would like to be able to edit and play these movies without feeling like they are being "scratched" by a DJ, and without my cooling fan screaming for its life and melting whatever is sitting next to the fan outlet.  Do you think an i3 is powerful enough to work with HD video ?  Based on what I have read, depending on how large of a file you are dealing with, an i5 may work.  But, an i7 is the way to go. 

Most of the retail outlet store hi-end i7 machines seem to come with a 3610QM processor.  http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3892282&CatId=3998
It's on sale for $1,299

Going bigger than that, like a 3720QM or a 3820QM, seems to require a lot more cash:  http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-dv7t-Laptop-Professional/dp/B008BJG40C
It's on sale too, but way more than I can spend.

Lone Fox

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 03:56:19 AM »

anybody else have thoughts? ... Grin

...cooling fan screaming for its life and melting whatever is sitting next to the fan outlet.  ...

Whats interesting, GPUs now clock way down when they aren't doing intensive tasks. You just don't get large battery life hits, and heat management is improved.

...Do you think an i3 is powerful enough to work with HD video ?  Based on what I have read, depending on how large of a file you are dealing with, an i5 may work.  But, an i7 is the way to go.  ...

Its hard for me to say, because I'm not always comfortable recommending something for someone.

Here, we can look at Pass Marks CPU Benchmarks. Now keep in mind that these benchmarks are not official in any way, neither are they entirely accurate. And honestly, I don't understand theme. I do read they accurately represent how well one CPU compares to another. Just keep in mine there are a lot of variables

Core2 Duo T7200 = 1149

Now we will compare your processor with the newer architectures.

Intel Pentium B960 = 2057
Intel Core i5-2450M = 3576
Intel Core i7-3610QM = 8413
AMD A6-3420M = 2286

The A6 series AMD have some of the nicest integrated graphics. All of the Intel i3/i5/i7 processors have L3 Cache. Radeon HD discrete graphics look to be available on a number of Intel powered notebooks. Intels integrated graphics have improved significantly since... look into HD Graphics 4000

I could imagine that a i5 would be more than adequate.

I've never really gotten into video editing, but as far as playing 1080p videos (when available Sad )... it has been as smooth as butter for me using ATI Radeon HD 4200 (integrated on my motherboard)
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 12:57:11 PM »

Thanks for the info Fox !  I appreciate the research you have done.  So, if someday, I want to start my own TV station and produce all of the programs myself, I could use this .  .  .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIDEO-EDITING-WORKSTATION-128GB-RAM-32-CORE-XEON-LGA-2011-PC-COMPUTER-NLE-/221022503680?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D220895773894%26ps%3D54

LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2012, 01:54:53 PM »

Thanks for the info Fox !  I appreciate the research you have done.  So, if someday, I want to start my own TV station and produce all of the programs myself, I could use this .  .  .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIDEO-EDITING-WORKSTATION-128GB-RAM-32-CORE-XEON-LGA-2011-PC-COMPUTER-NLE-/221022503680?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D220895773894%26ps%3D54

With all the heat that processor puts out, you can heat your home this winter. Save on the furnace bill.

SpiderX1016
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 12:07:58 AM »

If you want to spend a little, this looks like a good deal.
http://slickdeals.net/f/5176754-CPU-Mobo-RAM-Gigabyte-GA-Z77X-D3H-with-i5-3550-and-8gb-G-SKill-RAM-310-w-FS-15-MIR

I have an Asrock Z68 Pro3-M Mobo that I'm not using. I messed up the bios on it but I got a replacement so I'm not sure if it's working or not. You can have it if you want.
That and an I3-2100 or I5-2500k and it'd be pretty decent. I'm running an I5-2500k overclocked to 4.5ghz. 100% Stable.

"Under the sky, under the heavens there is but one family. It just so happens that people are different." - Bruce Lee
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: