theautolounge.net
January 19, 2018, 09:34:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Time for a new computer  (Read 2842 times)
Lone Fox

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2012, 09:08:32 PM »

My motherboard bit the dust.. it wasn't even old. Only 3 years old.

I'm currently running on my old computer I pulled out of the garage. Anybody remember floppy's?
2.5GHz Celeron 128kb cache
Integrated graphics, and I mean the old school kind
It had 1 stick of 128MB RAM memory, so thankfully I had a spare 2-stick 2GB RAM in my "random cords, wire, and computer parts box".
A surprising 80GB hard drive, but I think the original failed and it was 40 or 60GB. Long time ago, and I can't remember.

I didn't even try loading my Windows 7 OEM disk onto it, because I know it would just crash 

I installed xubuntu (Linux), which is considered a "lightweight" Linux, and the computer is slooow. I actually didn't expect it to be this bad.

When I scroll a webpage (using Firefox) the screen refreshes... yeah its a pretty slow computer.
Sting Ray
Master

Resident Beanpole

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 11:51:44 PM »

I had a board do that to me after about 3 years as well! Laptop bit the dust a couple years ago.

Good luck on the hunt for a new one, and stay strong while you're stuck in the past!

"Every second I'm talking to you is another second I'm not at Waffle House." - Wayne Chism
VTEC_Dreams
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 01:32:01 PM »

I know haters are gonna hate, but I've been using Apple products for a decade.

I bought an iBook G4 new back in 2004 and 2 years ago I had the same thing happen to it.

I replaced it with a new MacBook Pro. I'll be amazed if I don't keep it for a similarly ridiculous amount of time.

Previous to my transition to the dark side I had a Compaq and two Dells that all crapped out within a year or two, hence my choice to give Apple a chance. I've been *very* pleased with the products, but annoyed as hell with the shtick and trendiness that has followed the brand.

If you can look past it, they make a good computer.

Anyhow...
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 12:05:13 AM »

I had one of the original 128k Macs back in 1984.  From a reliability standpoint, it was a wonderful machine, as was the Mac SE 30 that replaced it.  But, then came the '90s where, from what I saw, something went terribly wrong at Apple.  My dad had a couple of Macs during that decade that just couldn't do anything without freezing.  My 6200 Series was the same way  -  it was completely helpless.

Now that my mind has finally realized that the '90s was actually a long time ago, I've been giving Apple another look.  Everyone I talk to who has one seems to like it a lot.  Plus, for what I would do with it  -  pictures and HD Video editing  -  I am reading a lot of good reviews.

I wish they weren't so expensive .  .  .

VTEC_Dreams
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 09:25:28 PM »

They are, but if you think of it in regards to the fact that you can have it twice as long as a Windows based machine, it starts to make sense.

Seriously, after going through two stupid Windows machines in the course of four years, and then having ONE Mac product for almost 9...it seems like a no-brainer.

Assuming, of course, that my current computer lasts as long as my old iBook G4 did. As of now, I'm thinking it will...it's been absolutely bulletproof--and quick--since the day I bought it until now.

Anyhow...
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 10:13:31 PM »

Now that I hear you say that, I can say that I used my original 128k Mac into the early 1990s.  I took it to the travel agency and used it to make flyers for upcoming trips.  This means I used that machine for probably 6 or 8 years .  .  .

Lone Fox

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 03:37:35 AM »

Although, I do agree that Macs tend to use quality hardware then lower-priced PC's, I don't really give in to the theory that Macs somehow are superior in life expectancy. There are a lot of old PCs still running strong (case point.. the one I pulled out of the garage still works - a bit slow and outdated). If you go to eBay, you can find a number of iMac's with "blank screens". My PC may be dead, but technically I could plop in another motherboard for $60 - $80.

I must say this, I don't know if this is known - my last three computers I have custom built myself. I will never buy another pre-assembled manufactured PC. I have my reasons, not a big deal.

Of course its not really fare to compare an iMac ("all in one") to a PC tower desktop. An equivalent would be the Mac Pro, which is pushing $3,000  

If you haven't used Windows 7, then please spare some dignity towards Microsoft (at least just a little); its actually not too bad of an OS. There are things I don't like about it, for one I cant stand the stupid user picture on my login and start menu. For the most part it works really good. Don't get me wrong, Mac's OS is more streamlined, higher performance, and resistant to malware, and some say its more reliable but I don't believe it.

Ultimately, the ONE MAIN PROBLEM I see is.. Mac Operating System is proprietary license with high level API layers. Unlike Window's OS, I can buy and install it on my PC, I can't do this (legally and smoothly) with a Mac OS  Cry . With Apple you have to buy their fancy overpriced hardware. I would love to buy Apple's OS X and install it on my computer, but Apple Inc is full of...  Lips Sealed

I will admit I'm a proud owner of an iPod Classic. The first iPod I bought died after 3 years, and I like it so much I went out and bought another one.

I sometimes wonder..
I bet Microsoft would take a huge financial hit if Apple allowed OS X to be installed on any computer.
Microsoft is the equivalent to Ford, while Apple is the equivalent to Honda... a mass of people thing Honda's last forever and Ford's are problematic. Of course we know better?  Grin

One thing I will note, my PC uses an ASRock manufactured motherboard, Macs use these also. ASRock and ASUS motherboards tend to be problem free for the majority. For some reason mine decided to commit suicide after 3.5 years. The only thing I can think of is I started playing Skyrim, and two days latter it fried. So the game fried my board.. (no I'm not serious)

Yes, me playing a video game! I asked what you guys thought of this game in the 'game thread' but nobody answered; in the end I caved in and bought a copy. I'm a bit unusual, because the only game I really seem to enjoy in the past was the Elder Scrolls series games. I'm looking at Fallout and it may be my cup of tea also. Everything else just doesn't do anything for me; like I said, I'm a bit unusual.

on that note...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 03:39:26 AM by Lone Fox » Logged
Lone Fox

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 04:02:01 AM »

I obviously can't play Skyrim on the old Celeron processed computer. I'm a complete noob to PC gaming, so I'm not sure what direction to take.

I could either build on what I have, or part and sell everything on eBay/Amazon.com and start from scratch.
Lone Fox

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 10:16:36 PM »

After a long thinking about either parting the computer and selling the parts, or purchasing another AM3 motherboard I have decided.

I have purchased a used motherboard on eBay. Its an ASUS thats long been deactivated but its still modern (even has optical digital output).
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 12:44:13 PM »

It's good that you have the knowledge to know what to do to not only fix the machine, but still keep it usable for your needs.  This is a good quality to have.  I have no idea regarding the video game, (which is why it is pointless for me to even look in that thread !).  In fact, when my eyes quickly read the name, Skyrim, my mind saw "Scrimm," prompting the thought, "Oh wow, is this a game based on the movie Phantasm from 1979 ?"  Yeah, don't ask .  .  .

Since you have knowledge of these things, what are your thoughts here .  .  .

Click for the ad ! 

Keep HD Video in mind when you look at the ad.  My current Toshiba REALLY struggles when doing ANYTHING with the vids taken with my new camera.  It can't even play them without stuttering/skipping .  .  .
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 12:47:08 PM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

racer91
Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 12:49:30 PM »

My girlfriend has a older one of these with a I5.

What are the specs for your toshiba? this almost seems like overkill for photo and video editing  Grin

Lone Fox

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 01:15:08 PM »

I to would also like to know specs / what Toshiba model# you have.

As for that laptop, it has the 3rd generation i7 processor (had to look it up); these 3rd gen i5 and i7 processors have built in dedicated media processing that are supposedly really fast. Even without that, I'm sure its more than very capable of anything you may throw at it.

I don't know much, heck that laptop you linked to even has a laptop dedicated graphics card - I didn't even know they make those  
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 05:18:05 PM »

Currently, I am using a Toshiba Satellite U205-S5067.  This machine is a hand-me-down from my ex-wife after she got a few things, (i.e. laptop for her work, divorce, new country of residence, new husband, etc).  We purchased it sometime in 2007 to replace an Averatec from 2004.  It didn't take long for her to realize that the Averatec couldn't handle one of the key programs she needed for her courses  -  SAS, hence the Toshiba.

After my mom passed last year, I inherited her Toshiba Satellite A135-S4527, also from 2007.  My memory from that time is telling me that this is a lower level machine that wasn't too complicated.  My mom was the type that was confused by the TV remote.  So, when she was looking, simple was a must.

Now, keep in mind that I am very dangerous in this area.  Think about how you react when you hear the local teenagers with their Honda Civics use the "key words and phrases" that they have been hearing, but really know nothing about, (VTAK, Yo !).  This is me when it comes to electronics.  So .  .  .

~  I am told that HD Video viewing/editing/producing needs a very strong processor, due to the sheer amount of data that has to be handled.  Much like gaming, or using heavy duty number crunching programs like SAS/SPSS/MiniTab, etc, a powerful multiple core processor is absolutely necessary, hence the search for i7.

~  I have read that there is no point to doing anything with HD Video if you don't have a Hi Def screen on which to enjoy it.  Turning the above mentioned huge amount of data into a wonderful HD picture requires a 1920 x 1080 display and hardware that can handle that kind of graphics.  Therefore, a dedicated graphics card is highly recommended, hence the search using the term "dedicated graphics."

~  I am also under the impression that regarding RAM  -  much like horsepower or money  -  there is no such thing as too much.  Therefore, go big or go home.

~  It has been my experience that spending the additional resources to get something upgraded will pay off in the amount of time it will be useful.  This seems to be the case with the U205 machine .  .  .
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 05:25:01 PM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Jerrycobra

A&P mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 11:21:29 PM »

i currently use a desktop with a i7-2600, its fast, lolol, laptop is a more normal i3-370m

Lone Fox

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 10:13:37 AM »

Oldcars, please do not get that $1600 ASUS... haha

Thats really for power users or users that want to play games on a laptop.

I think you could benefit with either...

Reformatting your current notebook and installing a SSD

Or if you really want an adventure, look for something new... a notebook with either a AMD A-series quad core APU or go Intel i3 with HD 3000 graphics

What's nice about the newer Samsung laptops is that they come with a restore OEM disc with the Windows 7 data ON THE DISC unlike some other brands. You could take out the hard drive (especially if its a 5400 rpm drive) and throw in a SSD with the latest drivers, pop in the OEM disc, install Windows 7 and run Windows Update, then install any missing drivers from the Samsung website you may need/or want. You could probably do this with other brands also, but you may need to order a restore disc.

The only problem I can think of is... SSDs require a little bit of configuring. Well, not so much require but highly recommended. Windows 7 helps a lot, so its not a big deal.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 10:18:09 AM by Lone Fox » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: