theautolounge.net
January 20, 2018, 06:44:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Spring 2012 has arrived in Northern Georgia . . .  (Read 4484 times)
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2012, 03:17:05 PM »

How can you tell that spring has arrived in Northern Georgia ? That's easy .  .  .

Pollen will coat EVERYTHING that is outside.  Lee should know what I'm talking about.  Allergy sufferers are in pain this time of year.

In this part of the country, winter usually isn't much of an event to speak of.  This winter was especially so.  Unless I missed something, Athens didn't get any snowfall, which is a good thing.  Usually, spring arrives very quickly.  And by this, I mean that as we turn the calendar to March, things go from "dormant" to "blooming/green" in the space of a couple of weeks. 

I last posted a Photographic Essay of Spring back in 2010.  After a year's absence, I thought you may enjoy a few sights from my yard as Spring 2012 arrives .  .  .

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 03:42:06 PM »

Colors Begin to Appear .  .  .
March 11, 2012

The pictures of the pollen covered Cirrus above were taken today, March 18.  I want to say that the thick yellowish layer of pollen was not there just a couple of days ago.  As seen in this picture from March 11, just ONE WEEK earlier .  .  .

.  .  . everything was clean.  Well, clean in the sense of "non-yellow."  The trees around here will take every opportunity to drop stuff on you.

Usually during the first week of March, small buds begin to appear on the trees and bushes.  By March 11, the flowering tree in my front yard was already in full bloom.

It appears that the tall tree and small bush are of two different families, judging by the flowers produced by each.  The tree produces what looks like roses.

The smaller bush produces a different flower.

The small bush was being attended to by the local yard maintenance crew.

And, he was doing a good job.

I have a couple of whatever these are in front of my house.

I've been trying to trim and shape the shrubs in an attempt to make them look not so overgrown.

At this point, the Sweet Gum Tree is just beginning to awaken.  

The Azaleas in front are blooming.  I'm actually going to try and cut this monster back and separate it into the two distinct colors you see in the photo.

I remember when I first moved into this house.  The bushes in this area of the yard had been taken over by vines, (which later turned out to be poison ivy  -  go ahead, ask me how I know).  I removed as much as I could, and did some thinning and shaping.  Today, things are improving.

It's hard to tell from the lighting in this picture.  But, there are 3 Azalea bushes here.  

The vines comment from above applies here also.  After a bunch of cutting, pulling, and general hackery, I now have some nice flowers beginning to appear.

Moving further up my side yard toward the garage, you can see small green buds appearing on all the small branches.

My goal is to shape some of the things that are here, to make them look like actual "shrubs."  A lot of stuff here has been overgrown for some time now.  Maybe I can do something about it.

There isn't anything happening at the front corner of the garage just yet.  But, if I remember right, this guy will bloom in the fall.

The Dogwood at the back corner of the garage is just now beginning to turn white.

It's hard to see from the above photo.  But, these guys are sprouting up everywhere on the branches.

Soon, my back yard will be green as well.

But for now, I wait .  .  .
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 05:26:13 PM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 04:09:34 PM »

Continuing to Awaken from Winter .  .  .
March 15, 2012

A mere 4 days have passed since I took the last set of photos shown above.  In some areas of the yard, a lot has happened.  In front of the house, however, things are pretty much the same as they were above.

The Sweet Gum Tree, however, is noticeably greener than was seen in the previous picture.

Moving out to the Azalea bushes along the driveway, "red" appears to be winning the blooming race, and is significantly ahead of "white."

A few more flowers are starting to appear on the next Azalea, (the one from which I had to remove all the vines).

The three smaller Azalea bushes along the driveway are beginning to bloom.

My Dad used to tell me that if you want shrubs like this to grow well, you need to really cut them back.  That way, they will grow in thicker next year.  In the case of these Azaleas, that logic appears to be true.

The small sprouts here are getting larger.  It's getting harder to see my neighbor's house.

The Dogwood tree at the back corner of the garage is turning white at an accelerated pace.

A bunch of these flowers are appearing everywhere.

A friend of mine gave me a cluster of bulbs earlier.  I'm not exactly sure what they are, or how I am supposed to plant them.  So for the time being, I just dug a hole and in the ground they went.  I'll have to do some research to find correct way to plant them.

Further out in my back yard, I have something that is blooming purple.

It's hard to see in the photo.  But, there are definitely some purple flowers in the back.

And, as I walked around the back of my house to the side yard area opposite from the driveway, I spotted another Azalea bush.  It looks pretty healthy.

I had no idea this was there ! 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 12:15:22 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Scooby

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 04:58:51 PM »

i thought you were going to show us some photos of how the Jag did NOT let any air out of its airbags...Tongue.....
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 05:01:43 PM »

Shifting into High Gear .  .  .
March 18, 2012

The flowering tree in the front yard reached its peak, and is now beginning to drop petals all over the place.

There hasn't been much change in front of the house since the last photo.

However, the front Azaleas are still going strong.

This one hasn't done a whole lot since last time I took a picture of it, (three days ago).

The smaller Azaleas that got a massive thinning last year are doing quite well.

They'll be all red pretty soon.

What was once overrun with vines and weeds is now starting to look pretty nice, especially this one.

The bushes in the side yard are thickening quickly as well.

The Dogwood at the back corner of the garage is now fully white.

When all these white flowers start to drop, it will look like it is snowing/hailing.  A small example of this can be seen on my back porch.

I walked around to my new patio to get another picture of the Dogwood.

And, as I continued around the house to the other side yard, the newly discovered Azalea bush is doing quite well.

Spring is looking good so far.  I'm also going to have to cut the grass before too long .  .  .
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 05:27:12 PM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 05:03:13 PM »

i thought you were going to show us some photos of how the Jag did NOT let any air out of its airbags...Tongue.....

This is true !  

I will have you know that while I was car shopping yesterday, the green Jag behaved itself quite well.

Rather B.Blown
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 09:00:03 PM »

Things around here are a little behind yours, but not too far. I've got a mosquito plague of biblical proportions going on over here. Walk across the yard and literally thousands of these bastards come swarming up out of the grass. Just flying around everywhere while screwing. 

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 09:38:24 PM »

Where's the DDT or Lanate when you really need it .  .  .

LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 02:28:42 PM »

Shifting into High Gear .  .  .
March 18, 2012

The flowering tree in the front yard reached its peak, and is now beginning to drop petals all over the place.

That purple flowered tree you mentioned is a Red Bud tree. As is the one in the background in the above photo behind the white car. I have several myself in my house that I own but dont live in anymore. They bloom for a short time then produce heart shaped leaves. The tell-tale sign.

Things around here are a little behind yours, but not too far. I've got a mosquito plague of biblical proportions going on over here. Walk across the yard and literally thousands of these bastards come swarming up out of the grass. Just flying around everywhere while screwing. 

Dont you wish you could fly while screwing? lmao

Rather B.Blown
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 02:48:04 PM »

Dont you wish you could fly while screwing? lmao

Mile high club? 

Grin

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 12:37:41 PM »

A dramatic difference in just a few days .  .  .
March 20, 2012

My last set of photos were taken just TWO days ago.  We've has some rain as of late, which is, no doubt accelerating the awakening process.  The Sweet Gum tree in the front yard is a prime example.  Green can be seen all over it at this point.

The only change in front of the house is that the weeds that pass for my lawn are growing rather quickly.

The tree next to the flowering tree in the front yard is now beginning to awaken.

It's hard to see from the photo.  But, there are a bunch of these flowers sprouting up everywhere.

I've got loads of color out front !

These Azaleas look great !

Working up the line, I see a few more flowers here than last time.

Same here.

And here.  Last year when I did some thinning, all these branches were laying on the ground.  I wasn't sure if it was going to recover or not.  Remember, stuff dies in my yard.  But, maybe my luck is changing ?

This Azalea looks really nice.  This was the first one that got the extreme thinning treatment when I first moved in.

My point is that all this greenery has taken place within the last two weeks !

The Dogwood tree by the garage is now as white as it's going to be this year.

The white is beginning to be replaced with green.

As I walk around to my new patio area, I see something new.  This small flower kinda resembles what I see on the Azaleas.  But, this flower is very close to the ground, and all by itself.

Next to that flower is what I think is called a Bluebell, for obvious reasons.

Here's a better shot of the Dogwood.  The incoming green can be seen a little better from this angle.

Still snowing on the back porch.

I continued my trek around the house to find my newest Azalea bush in the side yard in full bloom.  It looks pretty good.

On my way to work, I took a couple of better pictures of the Dogwood. 

From the street, the white stands out much more.

Life is good .  .  .

JKRPA

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 04:11:07 PM »

A dramatic difference in just a few days .  .  .
March 20, 2012

My last set of photos were taken just TWO days ago.  We've has some rain as of late, which is, no doubt accelerating the awakening process.  The Sweet Gum tree in the front yard is a prime example.  Green can be seen all over it at this point.

The only change in front of the house is that the weeds that pass for my lawn are growing rather quickly.

The tree next to the flowering tree in the front yard is now beginning to awaken.

It's hard to see from the photo.  But, there are a bunch of these flowers sprouting up everywhere.

I've got loads of color out front !

These Azaleas look great !

Working up the line, I see a few more flowers here than last time.

Same here.

And here.  Last year when I did some thinning, all these branches were laying on the ground.  I wasn't sure if it was going to recover or not.  Remember, stuff dies in my yard.  But, maybe my luck is changing ?

This Azalea looks really nice.  This was the first one that got the extreme thinning treatment when I first moved in.

My point is that all this greenery has taken place within the last two weeks !

The Dogwood tree by the garage is now as white as it's going to be this year.

The white is beginning to be replaced with green.

As I walk around to my new patio area, I see something new.  This small flower kinda resembles what I see on the Azaleas.  But, this flower is very close to the ground, and all by itself.

Next to that flower is what I think is called a Bluebell, for obvious reasons.

Here's a better shot of the Dogwood.  The incoming green can be seen a little better from this angle.

Still snowing on the back porch.

I continued my trek around the house to find my newest Azalea bush in the side yard in full bloom.  It looks pretty good.

On my way to work, I took a couple of better pictures of the Dogwood.  

From the street, the white stands out much more.

Life is good .  .  .

Very Nice Pics  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 12:57:42 PM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 05:31:32 PM »

The changes keep coming .  .  .
March 24, 2012

The other flowering tree in the front yard is beginning to bloom.

Since the last photo was taken 4 days ago, a lot of growth has appeared.

The Azaleas in front still look great.

The large Azalea by the road has reached its peak.

However, the one next to it that, until now, hasn't shown a whole lot of blooming has begun to turn really red.

And, the three Azaleas that were in rough shape when I first moved in are starting to look much better.  The extreme thinning I have been doing little by little is beginning to pay off.

The Dogwood is now more green than white.

And, my small Azalea in the side yard looks great.

Previously, I had mentioned that I wanted to plant some greenery beside my new patio, and elsewhere.  Today, I walked into Lowes and told one of the associates I was looking to plant something that I couldn't kill.  But, since Lowes doesn't sell Poison Ivy, I need some assistance.  He suggested plastic flowers, an excellent answer ! 

What to plant depends on where it is going to be planted.  The front of my house gets a lot of sunlight during the afternoon.  So, I had to look for tags that said "Full Sun."  However, the back patio area is shaded.  Here, I could plant stuff that works well with "Part Sun - morning sun only."  So, I let the tags be my guide.  Normally, Todd  +  Planting stuff  =  FAIL.  So, everyone cross your fingers. 

I put a couple of Leyland Cypress shurbs by my front steps.

And, I filled in a big gap in front of the house with an Eleanor Taber Indian Hawthorn.  At least, that's what the tag says.  For the horticulturally challenged, like myself, this shrub grows to 3 - 4 feet tall, produces flowers in the spring, and doesn't require a lot of water once established.

The front of the house gets a lot of sun during the afternoon.  So, the above items are all shown under the "Full Sun" heading.

Since the back patio area is pretty well shaded, I decided on a couple of Japanese Boxwood shrubs.  They can be 3 - 6 feet tall and wide, can withstand a lot of pruning, and don't require a whole lot of water.

It may not look like much now.  But, hopefully, that will change.

Sting Ray
Master

Resident Beanpole

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 06:39:26 PM »

The tulips in my neighbor's garden across the street just bloomed. So much color! It took a little longer, but Spring has arrived to South Bend as well!

I'll have to take a picture one of these days.

"Every second I'm talking to you is another second I'm not at Waffle House." - Wayne Chism
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 11:49:35 AM »

Winding down .  .  .
April 2, 2012

With the arrival of April, the blooming appears to be coming to an end.  The second flowering tree in the front yard is beginning to turn green.

The second Azalea back from the road is now in full bloom.

A little over 1 week ago, this bush was still mostly green. 

The Sweet Gum tree is now fully green.  From my first picture above from March 11 until now, this tree has completely awakened.

The front of the house looks the same, with the exception of the additions I made last week.

So far, nothing I have planted has died.  I'm amazed, but trying not to get a swelled head.

Soon, my rose bush will be sporting a flower.

It may not be much, or make the cover of a magazine.  But, it's mine.

Around back, the Japanese Boxwood bushes are still alive. 

And, the bulbs are growing quite rapidly.

Here I will give credit to the lawn maintenance crew.

Good job guys.  Keep it up .  .  .

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: