theautolounge.net
January 19, 2018, 09:31:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  
Author Topic: My life behind the wheel - Todd's Road Trip thread . . .  (Read 116671 times)
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 04, 2016, 05:16:37 PM »

continued .  .  .
part 3 of 3

I'm pretty sure this old gazebo came from Lakemont Park, an amusement park in the area that has been around since 1894.  It once stood somewhere along the park's midway but was removed at some point in recent history.  My brother bought it when it came up for sale.  It's been stabilized for now and awaits restoration.

Calvin looks at it as an open-air doghouse and has claimed it for himself.

We took a walk around the property which, at 55 nowhere-near-level acres, proved to be quite a workout.  "I've got to get to work on the wood pile," he tells me.  Firewood season is fast approaching.

The north side of the property borders a farm.  The previous owners had an agreement with the farm to allow the cows to graze in the lower portion of the property.  My brother is happy to keep this in place.

The neighboring cows do a good job of keeping the weeds down.

Part of an old oak tree came down during a recent storm.

It will provide a good bit of firewood for the winter, (not like he would ever run out anyways). 

A small creek, Oldtown Run, meanders north-south through the property.

At one point, this tree must have fallen over. 

But not only did it not die, it kept growing although looking somewhat drunk in the process.

We kept walking, chatting, and just catching up while enjoying the nice weather.

The setting sun meant my Prime Sirloin Buffet dinner was close at hand.  But after that, my visit was over.  I said my goodbyes and headed back to the hotel with the roof down under the full moon.

The trip ended the way it began, with a long road trip, only this time southbound into warmer weather.  Mother Nature treated me to a beautiful sunrise in the Appalachian Mountains on Sunday morning .  .  .

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 04, 2016, 05:16:48 PM »

Epilogue .  .  .

So was trusting my Beautiful Disaster for this trip a good decision ?  Yes it was !  The car behaved itself like a proper Jaguar the whole time and ate up the miles like it was designed to do.  I added a total of 1,545 miles to the car's odometer, (from Athens to Altoona and back with sightseeing in between).  Precisely NONE of those miles were accrued while riding on a rollback.  The 64 gallons of fuel I used to make this journey translates into just over 24 mpg overall, which I consider to be excellent.  Using $2.35 per gallon for an average cost of premium unleaded, I spent about $150 for transportation, which is cheaper than the cost of an airline ticket and rental car.  

This was a great trip !  I got to catch up with a bunch of people I haven't seen in a while.  I got to revive some good memories of my hometown.  And I got to do it with the roof down.  As far as I'm concerned, there is no better way to spend a long weekend.  I kept thinking to myself on the way home that I need to do this more often.  The good news is that this experiment would seem to suggest that I've finally ironed all of the bugs out of this car, which makes doing this more often more feasible.  This is good to know because the upcoming Thanksgiving Holiday would offer me a chance to take a journey that makes this one look like a short trip across town.

I want to thank everyone for reading along and hope you enjoyed the trip .  .  .
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 05:19:04 PM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  

Jump to: