theautolounge.net
January 23, 2018, 05:21:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi, I'm Todd. Welcome to my world . . .  (Read 35036 times)
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2011, 06:51:30 PM »

Wow, I don't remember that story.  From what I read, in that case, the actual gas main exploded and destroyed 53 homes in the immediate vicinity.  Apparently, nobody could get anywhere near the central fire location because of the flame-thrower-like ball of fire that was fed by the main and burning out of control.  That was a real disaster .  .  .

Rather B.Blown
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2011, 09:02:59 PM »

Gas scares the crap out of me. I don't want any part of gas appliances. 

Sting Ray
Master

Resident Beanpole

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2011, 09:08:04 PM »

My house has a gas grill, oven, and I think furnace. Awesome... 

"Every second I'm talking to you is another second I'm not at Waffle House." - Wayne Chism
Fluxx
Grand Master

Lasciate Ogni Speranza

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2011, 09:29:02 PM »

I don't like them either, but I have them because rural Nevada seems to have nothing else. I will say gas water heaters work a lot faster than electric.
Sting Ray
Master

Resident Beanpole

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2011, 09:30:51 PM »

I don't like them either, but I have them because rural Nevada seems to have nothing else. I will say gas water heaters work a lot faster than electric.
Oh yeah we have one of those, too. And a gas fireplace. My dad seems to prefer it. Convenience over the potential risk I guess. It's never worried me.

"Every second I'm talking to you is another second I'm not at Waffle House." - Wayne Chism
Fluxx
Grand Master

Lasciate Ogni Speranza

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2011, 09:36:52 PM »

I haven't had any problems with my stuff, but I do make sure to sniff around before turning anything on when I get home from any extended absence.
Sting Ray
Master

Resident Beanpole

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2011, 09:43:47 PM »

I haven't had any problems with my stuff, but I do make sure to sniff around before turning anything on when I get home from any extended absence.
I feel like just being smart with gas will keep problems at bay for 99% of people. Unfortunately, some stuff is just unavoidable.

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2011, 11:41:18 PM »

"Let's go to the movies .  .  ."
July 27, 1966

I haven't been to the movies in ages.  I wonder what's playing .  .  .

The Capitol Theater was in the downtown area in Altoona, behind the well known Gables Department Store, and has been gone for many years.  On another note, after my Mom died, all of my relatives and Mom's neighbors asked me if I was moving back to the area.  Maybe I should buy a new house .  .  .

I see a "Modern brick rancher" on 4 acres for $11,900, and a nice 3-bedroom home not too far from Mom's house in the Llyswen neighborhood for $11,000.  By the way, John Hill Real Estate in Altoona is still around, and still has the same phone number !  

If I can't spring for a house, I can get an unfurnished apartment in the downtown area through John Rawlings for around $35 - $60 per month.  If I want a nicer neighborhood, there is a nice place on Union Avenue for a whopping $100 per month !

And .  .  .
~  I also see the meeting schedules for Al-Anon and AA in case I need to know that information.
~  If I want to "Reduce safe, simple, and fast," I see where the Broad Avenue Pharmacy has GoBese tablets for $0.98.  The Broad Avenue Pharmacy is still around.
~  In the funeral notice for Singer on the left, I know the Mauk & Yates Funeral Home has been a fixture in the community for many, many years, and is still around.
~  And, Taylor Township is looking to get a new dump truck.  So, you need to have your bid submitted by 5 PM, August 1, 1966.

Now, if I'm going to move back to Altoona, I need to have a job.  I wonder what's available .  .  .

I see .  .  .
~  "Delivery Men" for evenings and Saturdays are guaranteed $200 per month !
~  I can make $3.00 per hour, or more depending on my qualifications as a welder.  And, I would be "Draft Exempt !"
~  If I get married again, my wife could be a secretary making $300 per month to start !
~  There's a company looking for "2 ambitious men who actually need money, and are willing to work for it."  Is my appearance "neat" enough, or my character "good" enough ?  I'm not sure.  I guess I'll have to "answer in own handwriting" and see what they say.

And, if I'm going to move back, I should look into a car to get me back and forth to wherever I work.

Interesting notes .  .  .
~  I like the '55 DeSoto for $99.50 at the Friendship Motor Company, which, I think, is still around.  I wonder what you get for "$5 a month up."
~  Ziegler Chevrolet has been a fixture in Claysburg, PA for a long time, and is still around in the same location.
~  Downing Motors has been gone for a while now.  However, I knew Sam Downing very well, and worked with him at Howdy Ellenberger's Museum.  
~  Ansley & Lewis is still around, and still in the same location.  However, Bill Ansley RV is now the largest camper/Motorhome/RV dealer in central PA.
~  Will Stuckey Ford in Hollidaysburg is now John Stuckey Ford, and now has the local Subaru franchise.
~  On the extreme right, you can see the edge of the Condrin Olds Cadillac ad.  Condrin's was around for a long time.  Paul Condrin died in 2004, and his sons Pat and Mike operated the Olds, Cadillac, and later Subaru dealership until very recently when they got out of the car biz.  That is how Stuckey Ford from above got Subaru.  Dean Patterson Chevrolet got Cadillac.
~  Below Condrin's, you can see J & P Auto Mart.  J & P is still around, but in a different location.
~  Below J & P is the ad for Olsen Buick.  After changing hands, it is now Fiore Buick GMC, and is still in the same location, (I think, not 100 % sure)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 01:24:40 PM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Rather B.Blown
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2011, 01:22:01 AM »

I want the 40 Ford coupe in the lower left corner. My dad loves those things.

LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2011, 12:54:16 PM »

I love reading stuff like that, so interesting (and quite shocking as well when compared to what we see today).

If you can find one of those reproductions of the first sears catalogs, a person can spend hours reading through looking at that timecapsule. I know I could.

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2011, 10:10:58 PM »

A few interesting tidbits .  .  .

June 13, 1966  -  A mere 9 days before I was born, by the way !

I think I need some more storage in my garage.  Penn Traffic has some good steel units on sale.  The base cabinet for $10.90 is white with a gold glitter top .  .  .

Hmmmm.  Didn't I go to Lowes recently and see Black & Decker cabinets on sale   for the $200-$300 range .  .  .

March 1, 1969 .  .  .

Wow, front page news !  The Hollidaysburg American Legion received a new 1969 Cadillac Ambulance.  This is important stuff !  It has "modern oxygen and radio equipment" as well .  .  .

March 30, 1970 .  .  .

On June 12, 1963, civil rights activist, Medgar Evers, was shot and killed on the porch of his home in Jackson, Mississippi.  After her husband's murder, Myrlie Evers continued her civil rights activism, eventually becoming chairperson of the NAACP.  In 1970, she made an unsuccessful bid for congress, which is described below.  Take note of the 2nd paragraph of the newspaper article.

It took more than 30 years for her husband's killer, Byron De La Beckwith, to get convicted.  The first two trials resulted in hung juries.  At the third trial, new evidence was introduced, resulting in a conviction.  Turns out, bragging about the crime at a white supremacist rally came back to haunt him, even though it took three decades to do so.

Those were interesting times .  .  .
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 01:27:06 PM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2011, 09:59:22 PM »

My Dad, the politician .  .  .

I'm going to state for the record that nothing contained herein is going to be "political" in nature.  I don't follow politics, and prefer to avoid discussing the subject, (which is why I rarely even look in the "Politics and Religion" board).  So, my Dad's political views are not on display here.  I encourage everyone to forget about the word, "politics" and just enjoy the cool pictures and stories .  .  .

As strange as this may sound, I can't give you an exact accounting of my Dad's political days.  I know he served as the chairman of the Democratic party in Blair County, Pennsylvania for a number of years.  And, I know he ran for General Assembly, which I am thinking means he ran for a seat in the State House of Representatives.  I’ll have to do some research to be certain because it’s something he never really talked about.

When my Mom and Dad were first married in 1963, they would travel everywhere together for Dad’s political commitments.  With Dad being a quadriplegic, Mom, basically, acted as his "hands."  And, since the “photo op” is a big part of the political game, there are a bunch of cool photos of both Mom and Dad at various functions and events.

With my Mom's passing in April 2011, I inherited all of those old photos and memorabilia.  And, I quickly learned that Mom was a pack rat.  Every newspaper clipping, every photograph, every letter was saved and stashed away.  And now, most of them are upstairs in my office.  There's a lot of stuff here.  So, I'll post as I go through stuff, which will take a long while.  However, when I briefly did some looking over Thanksgiving, I found a couple of interesting things.  

The 1968 Presidential Election took place on November 5 of that year.  With then current President Lyndon Johnson deciding not to seek another term, the ballot featured Richard Nixon (Republican), Hubert Humphrey (Democrat), and George Wallace (Independent).  Now, as Democratic County Chairman, I would guess that one of Dad’s jobs was to “get the word out” on the local level for the state and national candidates.  As such, Dad's travels mainly took him to various local locations within the county, plus a bunch of trips to the State Capitol in Harrisburg, PA.  However, that’s not to say that nothing “big” ever happened.  

With the election only 3 months away, Dad received a telegram on August 12, 1968.  Now, some of you young people may not be familiar with the “telegram” concept.  In a nutshell, a telegram was how an electronic message was sent from point A to point B before the age of the internet and e-mail.  Someone wanting to send a telegram would head to his/her local Western Union office and have a message “coded” for electronic transmission to the recipient.  This transmission would take place on a high-speed communications network at something like 50 Kbps, which was pretty fast in 1968.

Anyways, Dad got lots of telegrams, especially during an election year.  But, this one was pretty special .  .  .

I’ll have to do some digging to see if I can find the “photos” Vice-President Humphrey referred to.  Although, I don’t think I have them.  A lot of stuff from those days went to someone who worked with Dad back then.  But, I’ll check.

In October 1968, Mrs. Muriel Humphrey visited Altoona.  Normally, having the Vice-President’s wife visit less than one month before the national election would be seen as a “campaign” function.  However, there are numerous references to Mrs. Humphrey’s having relatives from the area.  I’ll have to do some research.  But, I have photos of Mrs. Humphrey and her son Robert visiting the grave of “an ancestor” at a local cemetery.

And so, my Mom and Dad got to shake hands with the wife of the Vice-President.

Cool stuff .  .  .
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 01:28:01 PM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Rather B.Blown
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2011, 02:43:03 AM »

Wow, that is really interesting. You have so many fascinating tidbits in your past, I actually don't click on this thread when I'm just catching up on posts here. I "save" it until I can dedicate the time to give it my full attention and get the most out of it. Really good stuff.

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2011, 10:20:34 PM »

Thanks, Lee.  I've got a lot of stuff to go through, which will take time.  Oddly enough, "time" seems to be something I never seem to have enough of lately.  Between preparing stuff for posting, going to work each day, trying to get a few projects done at home, and just having a "life," there aren't enough hours in the day .  .  .

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2011, 10:50:09 PM »

When I chose "Welcome to my world" for the title to this thread, my intent was to create a space for all those insignificant tidbits of my life that don't really have any specific place of their own.  Think of this thread as a big "catch-all" for every day events.  So, not everything herein will be historical in nature.  After all, "my world" does incorporate present day.  And so .  .  .

Speaking of home projects .  .  .
December 21, 2011

I've wanted to upgrade the faucet in the kitchen since I moved in back in 2009.  When the previous owners remodeled the kitchen, they left the bottom-of-the-line faucet in place, for whatever reason.  Tonight turned out to be the right night to make a change.

This is the previously mentioned "el-cheapo" faucet.

I decided to upgrade to a nice Delta stainless unit.

This one has an integrated sprayer and soap dispenser.

Out with the old .  .  .

.  .  . and in with the new .  .  .

I like the finished product.  

It just "feels" so much better and so much more solid than the old unit.  The stainless matches everything else in the kitchen. But, the best thing about this faucet is the increase in height.  I now have more vertical room in the sink to work with.  Hooray .  .  .
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 12:41:06 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: