theautolounge.net
December 12, 2017, 04:19:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]
  Print  
Author Topic: A glimpse inside Todd's Cathouse . . .  (Read 36125 times)
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 05, 2017, 12:11:00 AM »

continued .  .  .
Part 2 of 3

So now I've got an opening from which to lift the regulator assembly.

The window regulator is bolted to the body shell via three studs and nuts.  The studs can be seen below on the new part.

I removed the three nuts and pulled the regulator away from the body shell.

With the regulator free from the body shell, the whole assembly  -  regulator, glass, and electric motor  -  can be lifted upward out of the top opening.

That sounds great.  But try as I might, the assembly doesn't fit through the opening.  I twisted and turned and angled it every way I could to no avail.

There's no way it comes out through the inside of the car.  It's got to come out from the top somehow.  So I'm missing something.  Maybe AllData will shed some light on the process.  "Shed some light" turned out to be the understatement of the year.

Going back to the picture of the top opening, I've highlighted a small tab in the photo below.

In the beginning of this process, I removed the inner window glass seal and the carrier on which it sits.  That carrier bolts in place to the tab shown above.  That ½ inch wide tab protrudes into the opening just enough to prevent the regulator assembly from being removed.  It has to move for the regulator to fit.  But that tab is part of the metal block that houses the convertible top arm mechanism.  The only way to move the block and tab is to move the convertible top arms.  Well isn't this wonderful.

I was dumbfounded reading this !  After all of the fuel delivery issues, after all of the cooling system issues, after replacing all the leak-prone top hydraulic lines, I have now encountered this piece of genius engineering where the convertible top needs to be removed in order to replace a window regulator.  For the first time during the two years I've had this car, I became overwhelmed with the feeling of, "I've got to get rid of this car before it kills me !"

I took a short break from my adventure to think about the dilemma before me.  I've been turning wrenches and reading factory shop manuals for 17 years as of this writing.  Seeing instructions like this are actually pretty common.  Manufacturers need to be this elaborate and specific with their instructions not only due to the complexity of the components involved, but also out of liability concerns.  The last thing anyone wants is for the customer's car to be damaged during the official factory-authorized repair procedure.  "Overly cautious" becomes the order of the day.   

Looking at it that way, the "Remove convertible top" step in this procedure probably serves more as a liability clause no doubt aimed at reducing the likelihood of collateral damage from the repair.  In practice, however, this step may not be absolutely necessary to get the job done.  My thinking was that I could remove the three bolts that hold the metal block in place and pry the block inboard just enough to get that mounting tab out of the way and remove the regulator assembly.  There's only one way to find out if this is the case.

Looking at the top mechanism, the metal block in question where the top arms are hinged can be seen in the photo below.  The metal block is bolted to the body of the car in three places behind the access cover, (one of the bolts is visible in the photo below).

Three screws hold the access cover in place.   

With the access cover out of the way, I removed the three bolts that secure the metal block to the body shell.  Using a long pry bar and a block of wood, I was able to move the top arms inboard just enough to get the tab out of the way so the regulator assembly could fit through the opening.

And voilà !

« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 12:40:45 PM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 05, 2017, 12:11:20 AM »

continued .  .  .
Part 3 of 3

The next step was to unbolt the window glass from the bracket and transfer it to the new part.

Below is a closer look at the old regulator assembly.   

This is how a majority of power windows work on late-model cars.  The modern era's mandated trend toward efficiency means every component that can be made smaller and lighter is done so.  The problem is that components like window regulators typically see a lot of usage and just don't seem to hold up as well.  There was very little to break on the old-fashioned scissor-type regulator from yesteryear.  The electric motor would wear out long before the regulator.   

(from samarins.com, click for more info !)

The opposite is true in today's world where the regulator almost always breaks first.  The damaged cable can be more clearly seen in the photo below.  After 15 years of up/down cycles, the regulator cable became twisted, eventually reaching the point where it slipped off of the pulley.

I bolted the window glass to the new regulator.  Using the typically seen, "To install, reverse the removal procedure" directions, the prying technique from the removal process gave me enough room to slide the regulator assembly through the opening into the body.

With my pry bar in place (out of view), the mounting tab can be seen in the photo below slid far enough inboard to allow the regulator assembly to fit through the opening.

I had to get creative with the rest of the installation process.  The old regulator was broken, meaning the window moved freely along the regulator track.  I could raise and lower it by hand whenever the situation dictated.  I couldn't do that with the new regulator.  So I had to make a few adjustments with the fasteners during installation.   But everything worked out fine in the end.  With the new regulator installed, I raised the top, made a series of final alignment adjustments, and tested the finished product several times before putting the interior back together.

So my "Beautiful Disaster" is now back to 100 %.  If there is a silver lining within this dark cloud, it's the fact that this issue didn't require a rollback ride, and didn't put the car out of commission.  Unfortunately, I've reached the point where that is of little consolation.  If the past is a reliable indicator, "100 %" won't stay this way for very long.  The problem is that I still love the car.  But buying Jaguar parts is really starting to get old .  .  .

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 12, 2017, 11:54:55 PM »

I've finally had enough .  .  .
February 4, 2017
Part 1 of 5

If you've read through any of the previous entries within my Garage thread, you may have noticed a pattern.  For whatever particular reason, I am very fond of Jaguars.  I can't explain why this is other than the standard answer of they "speak to me."  And they do so loud and clear, which for me makes all the difference.  They are beautiful, comfortable, and a pleasure to drive, especially on the open road.  

They're also affordable.  Plenty of late model low mileage Jaguars can be found on used car lots everywhere for what seems like decent money.  I am especially vulnerable to the appeal of driving an upscale luxury car that originally stickered for north of $70k.  Combining this with my "speaks to me" requirement gets me in trouble.  No matter how much logic tries to intervene, an affordable price tag has made it very hard for me to resist the opportunity feed my infatuation.  I've owned four Jaguars over the last decade via this philosophy with two of them currently sitting in my garage.  At first glance, this seems like a win – win.  I get the car that "speaks to me" without breaking the bank.  

The problem is that I've consistently been shown that there is a reason why these cars are so affordable.  Quality issues have plagued the company for decades.  Ford's purchase of Jaguar in the late 1980s allowed the company to remedy some long standing problems like the much maligned Lucas electrical system and inboard rear brakes.  Quality control improved dramatically, but was still never able to reach the level of its competitors like Mercedes-Benz, BMW, or Audi.  Resale values reflected this which is what lured me in to begin with.

I got my feet wet in 2008 with a stunning 47k original mile 1998 XJ8-L sedan.  The car's lines are simply gorgeous !  

November 9, 2008

I did something that is generally not recommended when I purchased this car – I bought the "first year" of a redesigned model.  The all new 4.0L V8 was smooth, quiet, and powerful, but also unproven.  I had a few issues with the car, the biggest of which involved cooling system parts made from cheap plastic, (sounds familiar, doesn't it ?).  That car shared a lot of mechanical bits with the Lincoln LS, meaning all of my Ford training proved to be extremely helpful in making repairs which I had to do on numerous occasions.  

Two years later, I traded the '98 for a completely redesigned 2004 XJ8.  

March 20, 2010

Since I didn't learn the first time around, I bought the "first year" of a redesigned model once again just to verify that such a practice should be avoided.  In all fairness, the new for 2004 XJ Series was actually a very good quality car.  The updates incorporated into the new model solved a few of the previous generation's known issues.  But that doesn't mean an entirely new set of issues wasn't part of the deal, (although the list was much smaller in length this time around).  My overall experience with the car was quite good.  So I can't complain.

Jaguar # 3 resulted from me finally trying to pay attention to my surroundings.  The 1996 model year would be the last for the ancient XJS.  I figured that if there was ever a time when all a model's issues would have been addressed, it would be at the end of its run when any available updates should have been phased into production by that time.  The Automobile Gods rewarded my attempt at thinking with a wonderful glitch-free car.  I've owned this car since September 2011 when the stunning color combination and low 31k original mile odometer reading sealed the deal.

October 9, 2016

And then there's my 2001 XK8 convertible.

March 27, 2015

This is the car I affectionately refer to as my "Beautiful Disaster."  It carries on the Jaguar tradition of being absolutely beautiful to behold and a pleasure to drive.  But it does these things with occasional diva-like behavior thrown in for good measure.  I've described on numerous occasions within these boards just how intense the ownership experience has been with this car.  It's as if it'is making up for all of the XJS's trouble-free miles.  Buying Jaguar parts can be an unpleasant experience.  Buying A Lot of Jaguar parts can be downright depressing.

Shop Foreman Phil from work had the best advice:  "You need to set a limit !"  And he's right.  Facing a minor repair here and there is a normal and expected aspect of vehicle ownership.  Dealing with a significant issue every few months is something entirely different.  My latest go-round with this car last month really drove the idea of a limit home and made me realize that I've finally reached mine.  The "trade it in" seed had been planted.

I look at online car ads all the time only because I enjoy seeing and dreaming about what can be had for the money.  But I began to surf the ads more frequently to see if something would catch my eye.  Slowly, that seed started to grow.  A couple of ads got my attention well enough for me to make the drive to check a potential replacement out in person.  

A used car broker in Tucker, Georgia was advertising a 60k original mile 1999 Mercedes-Benz SL500 for $10,900.  I've looked at other SL-Class cars from this generation in the past, and was often surprised by the myriad of little details wrong with them.  This car, however, looked amazingly well preserved.  Dealing with a large warehouse-style broker can be a double-edged sword.  Some great prices can be found IF you don't have a trade.  The deal in this case wasn't anywhere near where I thought it should be.  Now add to that the little voice in my head that kept reminding me that buying 'Benz parts has the potential to be equally, if not more painful than buying Jaguar parts, and it's easy to understand why I passed on this car.  

A 27k original mile 2001 BMW Z3 Roadster surfaced over Christmas about an hour away from me at Mall of Georgia Ford in Buford.  

Driving anywhere near the Mall of Georgia during the week of Christmas is asking to be stuck in traffic.  Nonetheless, I made my way through the crowds to have a look.  The low odometer reading and wonderfully different color were offset by a couple of minor condition issues and the fact that I had forgotten just how small a Z3 really is.  This hot/cold reaction continued once I got behind the wheel.  Combining BMW's well proven 3.0L inline 6-cylinder engine and 5-speed manual transmission with a lightweight and well balanced chassis produced a "fun" quotient that was off the charts !  But the complete lack of any interior storage space and the car's overall primitive nature, (semi-manual top, plastic rear window, etc.), made me wonder if I would enjoy living with it on a daily basis.  Once again, I decided to pass.  

My brother assumed the role of "Devil's Advocate" and sent me an ad that he thought I would like.  

He's definitely right !  The inherent weakness I mentioned earlier was quick to take over telling me just how much I'd love to have a Maserati.  This car looked especially enticing because of its gorgeous deep blue color, 25k original miles, and relatively affordable price tag.  This time, Left Brain intervened right away and reminded me what that name on the front of that hood actually means.  If I think buying Jaguar parts is painful, this nothing compared the punishment that is buying Maserati parts.  But oh my that car is stunning !  And it's nice to dream once in a while, (or in my case, all the time).

Meanwhile, the fun continued with my "Beautiful Disaster."  The right rear quarter window regulator threw in the towel in mid-January.  I ordered a replacement and had plans to use the upcoming weekend to install it.  Surfing the online car ads later that week, I discovered a fresh trade 16k original mile 2004 BMW Z4 at Mercedes-Benz dealer RBM of Alpharetta.  Knowing something like that wouldn't last very long, I made the drive to Alpharetta on Saturday morning January 28 instead of installing the window regulator in the Jag like I had planned.  This happened to be one of the worst weather days I've seen in a long while.  But I was able to manually put the window up enough to keep the rain out.  

I arrived at the dealer to find the Z4 parked in the customer parking area directly in front of the showroom.  Normally, this isn't a good sign.  The receptionist who greeted me confirmed my suspicions – the new owners were signing the paperwork for the car at that very moment.  That odometer reading would have been ideal !  The $11,500 asking price meant the car would have probably been affordable, depending on the deal.  But I was most disappointed because I really wanted to re-evaluate a Z4.  

I've test driven two Z4s over the years.  

August 13, 2011

Click for the review !

My memories from both were very positive.  I remember thinking that, even though the Z4 is definitely a small car, it felt bigger on the inside than the Z3 it replaced.  The confining nature of the Z3 I just drove a couple of weeks ago was still fresh in my mind.  I was hoping to compare that experience with this Z4.  But it was not meant to be.

The drive to Alpharetta made me realize that dreaming about or "window shopping" for a new car is one thing.  But if I was actually test driving potential replacements, having the XK8 at 100 % would be absolutely necessary to do any kind of negotiating.  So the next day, Sunday January 29, I installed the XK8's new window regulator just in case.  And it's a good thing I did !

I headed to work the following day, Monday January 30, with the XK8 fully returned to the ranks of the living.  Since time passes by much quicker as I age, the work week doesn't seem to be as long as it was when I was younger.  Friday February 3 arrived with little fanfare.  Before heading to bed that night, I decided to take a quick look at the online car ads once again.  My search parameters are always the same  -  used convertibles, within a 200 mile radius, under 60k miles, less than $13k.  I display the results by distance, showing the nearest cars first.  

The first ad displayed was for a 47k original mile 2005 BMW Z4 that I had never seen before, (it featured the "Just Listed" flag that will appear for a new listing).  There was no picture with the ad, which makes sense.  Dealers will often advertise a fresh trade without a picture until it has been through Service and fully detailed.  The combination of 47k original miles and $11,991 asking price got my attention.  The color was listed as "Green."  I have a thing for different and/or unusual colors, so this was also good.  The reason why this ad came up first was because the car was located just across town at Heyward Allen Toyota in Athens.  With the car that close, there was no reason why I shouldn't take a closer look.  And that low odometer reading meant I better do it fast, (as in tomorrow Saturday February 4), before someone else beats me to it.  

My internal chronometer, knowing something out of the ordinary was on the schedule for that day, woke me unusually early on Saturday morning.  I left the house like I always do – with the roof down even in spite of the upper 40s at this time of the morning.  The memory of last Saturday in Alpharetta came back to life when I didn't see the car parked among the used car inventory out front.  Nonetheless, I headed into the showroom.

I haven't worked for a new car dealership since early 2009, and had forgotten just how busy they can be on a Saturday morning, especially in the spring with the sun shining bright, (yes, February is considered "Spring" in this area).  The receptionist flagged down available salesperson Geary who had no knowledge of this particular car.  After checking the inventory sheets and asking a few questions, he discovered that the car was traded a few days earlier had just been through Service, but had not yet been detailed.  So he figured it would be parked in the lot behind the building.  We headed outside with key in hand and found the car outside of Service .  .  .
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 01:28:02 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 12, 2017, 11:57:23 PM »

continued .  .  .
Part 2 of 5

The first thing I noticed was that wonderful color !

BMW calls it Olivine Green Metallic.  The "olive" reference in the name becomes apparent once you see the car in person.  

I call it wonderful, and a refreshing change from the often seen white or silver colors.  I also call it very unusual in that I've never seen another one like it.  

The interior is called Oregon Beige Leather and works perfectly with the exterior color.

I took a seat and immediately remembered why I love BMW seats so much.  They fit my frame perfectly.  Finding a good driving position was easy thanks to the 8-way power driver's seat.  The problem I had with my Porsche Boxster's roll bar isn't an issue on this car.  Legroom is abundant.  I was able to put the seat back far enough to get me away from the dash and windshield and still be completely free of the roll bar behind me.  At the same time, the tilt and telescoping steering column allowed me to bring the steering wheel closer.

All of the other expected goodies were present and accounted for – power windows, locks, and mirrors, climate control, cruise control, and CD player, (what would I do with all my cassettes ?).  Driver and passenger seats are 8-way power (driver's seat also has memory), but not heated.  One of the Z4's most welcome updates was the glass rear window that replaced the Z3's plastic piece.

Memories of my earlier Z4 impressions were accurate.  This is definitely a small car, especially coming from a 4-seat Jaguar.  But I felt like I had more room, especially shoulder room, compared to the Z3 from a few weeks ago.  Even though the interior dimensions of both cars are virtually the same, the Z4's ever-so-slightly more leg room, (42.0 inches vs 41.8 inches), and shoulder room, (52.5 inches vs. 51.7 inches), seem to be enough to make a difference.  Adding what I'll call the "elegantly simple" overall design of the dash makes the area directly in front of me seem larger.

Notice the shape of the Z3 dash in the photo below.  The horizontal centerline (where the vents are located) is curved outward toward the passengers which gives the impression that the dash is encroaching on your space, which makes a huge difference when there isn't a whole lot of space available to begin with.  The Z3's dash also appears somewhat busy, especially around the center console.  

2001 BMW Z3

Now compare that to the shape of the Z4's dash.  Less clutter combined with the placement of the dash vents and the slope of everything away from the passengers gives the impression of more available space.

Starting the car showed me the number I was looking for and the reason why I was here today.

My 17 years of turning wrenches for a living has taught me that even though plenty of cars have a reputation for their longevity, all of them will eventually need to have parts replaced at some point.  Some makes are better than others in this regard, (is it necessary for me to remind everyone that I drive a Jaguar ?).  But a car is a mechanical object designed and built by human beings, and its parts will eventually wear out.  A low odometer reading does make a difference regardless of make.

The sun was shining bright on this morning.  So the roof would have to be down for a proper test drive.  The Z3 I drove a few weeks ago had what I'll call a "semi-power" top.  Latching and unlatching was done via a pair of manual handles.  Once unlatched, the top had to be manually lifted by hand about 8 inches before power operation began.  This Z4 has a fully powered top with automatic latching/unlatching.  With my seat adjusted and the roof down, Geary and I hit the road.  

Power comes from the base 2.5L inline 6-cylinder engine which is paired with BMW's 5-speed "Steptronic" automatic transmission.  The mediocre 184 hp produced by the engine only has to move around 3,000 pounds.  Acceleration was actually quite brisk.  Contemporary road tests from back in the day seem to indicate that zero to 60 mph would take around 7 seconds with the quarter mile arriving in the mid-15-second range.  Having the 225 hp 3.0L inline 6-cylinder would shave about 1 second off of those times.  But the 2.5L's performance was more than adequate.  

Ride quality seemed appropriate for the class of car.  Like the Boxster, road imperfections were handled with ease, albeit with a bit more noise than I'm used to.  But there is no point in comparing this car to a Jaguar, and I wasn't going to try to do so.  I felt the ride quality was very good, all things considered.  I discovered that the relatively small 225/50/16 tires on this car have quite an effect on the ride quality.  But there's more to this story.

The automobile has been equipped with a spare wheel and tire for more than a century.  All of us have grown up knowing what the "spare" is, and why it's there.  Pre-war era cars featured two spares, one mounted on each long curved front fender.  Styling changes in the 1940s reduced the number of spares to one and moved it to the trunk.  It's biggest drawback was the amount of space it occupied due to its size.  Manufacturers began looking at ways to shrink the size of the spare in the late 1960s which lead to the development of "space saver" or "donut" spares commonly seen today.  

In the modern era, some manufacturers, like BMW, have begun fitting run-flat tires to their products.  A run-flat tire allows the vehicle to be driven for a limited distance with zero air pressure in the tire.  This is accomplished via a thicker and much stiffer tire sidewall.  The biggest benefits of using run-flat tires are the increase in available storage space that results from ditching the spare and jack, and greater stability in the event of a tire failure.

The list of drawbacks, however, is quite long.  They can cost more than twice as much as a conventional tire.  The additional cost means they don't sell as well, and therefore aren't as widely available.  The tire's extremely stiff sidewall works against ride quality.  To offset this, the actual tread surface is made from a softer compound which wears out faster.  While run-flat tires offer protection against running over a nail, they cannot be used if the deflation is due to a sidewall puncture.  And finally, most run-flat tires cannot be repaired.   That means every flat costs a few hundred dollars to fix.

This car has four Bridgestone Potenza RE050 run-flats with (thankfully), a lot of tread remaining.  Tire Rack lists this tire as "original equipment" and sells them for around $197 each !  Conventional tires in that size can be had for as little as $70 each.  So it's easy to understand why a lot of owners aren't sticking with the run-flats when they wear out.  The problem is that the car doesn't have a spare tire or jack.  Parts specialist Bimmerzone in Pennsylvania offers a spare tire and jack kit for around $350.  The question then becomes do you spring for the run-flats, or do you get the spare tire kit that takes up a good bit of room in your already small trunk.  With this car having 7/32nds of tread remaining on all the tires, I hopefully wouldn't have to worry about this for a while.

The very tight-on-center steering of this car invoked more great memories of my Porsche Boxster.  The Z4's 2,932 pound curb weight and near perfect 50/50 weight distribution make the car feel extremely precise.  It immediately goes where it's pointed without any drama.  Body roll is non-existent.

I realized that this test drive was going very well !  I was extremely impressed with the car and kept listening to how it was definitely "speaking to me" just like the Boxster did back in 2012.  Even better was the fact that I couldn't find anything to question.  In the midst of this concentration, I forgot I had a passenger with me.  Geary didn't appear to be too uncomfortably cold riding in a convertible with the roof down in February.  But I could tell that this definitely wasn't his normal winter driving routine.  I didn't want to freeze him out completely.  So we headed back to the dealership after a brief ride around town.  

The crowd at the dealership seemed to increase significantly in that short amount of time.  This place was busy !  Even so, Geary's sales managers quickly made time to give my car an evaluation while Geary and I chatted at his desk.  Phone call number one from the parking lot requested instructions on how to put the top up.  A second phone call came in a few minutes later wanting to know how to release the parking brake.  I had to laugh because this isn't the first time this has happened.

And so I waited.  Geary returned to his desk with an offer:  My car and around $7,500 difference.  Too many incidents over the years of being surprised in a not-so-good way during the numbers game have taught me to never get my hopes up, and this is why.  But more importantly, these incidents have also taught me to do some research beforehand.  Two numbers jumped out at me from Kelly Blue Book.  Using the "trade-in value" for my car and the "fair purchase price" shown for the Z4, I came up with a difference of $4,500.  I explained this to Geary the way I always approach the car buying experience – That’s what I want.  If it's not feasible, that's ok, no harm done.  

Geary headed back to the powers that be with this new information in hand.  He was gone for what seemed like a very long time, at least much longer than I am used to.  No worries.  I passed the time watching "My Lottery Dream Home" on HGTV that was playing in the Customer Lounge.  Seeing Geary returning with paperwork in hand reminded me once again not to get my hopes up.  He said that my offer was "fair and reasonable .  .  .  but we're scared of your car. "

I laughed !  This is probably the most honest statement I've ever heard during a car buying experience.  He explained that as a Toyota dealer in Athens, they don't know what to do with a Jaguar.  They have no market for it.  They don't know how to fix it.  They can't easily get parts for it, (tell me about it !).  This means they're not going to keep it.  I had been waiting longer than usual because the sales managers were calling their contacts for cars of this nature to see what could be arranged.  Then came the moment of truth:  Geary said the best they could do was $5,000 difference.

After the initial offer of $7,500, I expected Geary to return with something in the $6,500 - $7,000 range because that's what typically happens.  And I would have politely declined.  Instead, he surprised me.  He really surprised me in the best way possible.  I instantly became a blabbering idiot asking him the same series of questions several times – "So, this means my car and $5,000 ?"  "Is this 'out-the-door' ?"  "Does this include all the taxes ?"  "So you're saying my car and $5,000 ?"  Yes, that's what he was saying.  Geary was happy to say yes as many times as I asked.

Here before me was the opportunity to get a mint condition car that "speaks to me" for the deal I was looking for.  I normally don't make a decision like this on the spur of the moment.  But this was exactly why I came to Heyward Allen Toyota today.  I reached across the desk and shook his hand .  .  .
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 12:59:44 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 12, 2017, 11:59:27 PM »

continued .  .  .
Part 3 of 5

Well this was a surprise !  I did not expect to do this today and was completely unprepared.  I didn't even have the Jag cleaned out let alone have the title with me.  No worries.  This would give Geary the opportunity to get the car prepared for delivery.  I headed back across town and started cleaning out the Jag.

You don't realize how much stuff you have in your car until you have to clean it out.  I had a lot of, "I wonder where that came from" conversations with myself in the process.

I returned to the dealer and parked in the lot next to the showroom.  

After two years and precisely 19,678 miles, it was time to say goodbye to my "Beautiful Disaster."

This car definitely earned its nickname thanks to the dramatic roller coaster ride that was the ownership experience.  I still think it's one of the most beautiful cars on the road from any angle.

The interior proved over and over again to be a great place to spend an afternoon on the open road.  

I'm going to miss the heated seats !  I learned over Thanksgiving that they're worth their weight in gold while riding with the roof down in the Rocky Mountains.  

The times and miles I spent behind the wheel were all wonderful !  It's the times spent on a rollback and having to buy Jaguar parts more often than I thought appropriate that got to me.  But now it was time to put all of that behind me.  I made sure I had everything out of the car and removed my license plate.  

I put the roof up so there would be no confusion on how to do it this time.

After all the trials and tribulations with this car mixed with all the wonderful miles I spent smiling behind the wheel, this is how it ended.  I liken the experience to being in a relationship with a significant other.  Relationships are a blend of good times and challenges, and sometimes the challenges win .  .  .

~  Stunning good looks both inside and out !
~  A wonderful grand tourer that loves the open road.
~  My back never had a complaint after spending many hours in the driver's seat.
~  Powerful, yet whisper-quiet V8.
~  Creature comforts galore.
~  It's a Jaguar, and I love Jaguars !

~  It's a Jaguar, and I love Jaguars.    
~  Numerous long standing quality issues that never seem to go away make for a very intense ownership experience.
~  The closest dealer is 2 hours away.
~  Jaguar parts can cost a fortune, especially if they are needed on a regular basis.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 12:29:44 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 12, 2017, 11:59:51 PM »

continued .  .  .
Part 4 of 5

I headed to the showroom to find my new ride parked outside the door.

I had to track down Geary, who happened to be with other customers at that moment, (did I mention that this place was busy !).  No worries.  I'll just pass the time getting to know the car a little more.

This is a one-owner car that originally came from Florida.  At some point, the car owner made his way to northern Georgia where BMW of Athens took over the servicing duties. While not "fully loaded," this car carries quite a few options including twin power seats, fog lamps, the "fine wood" interior trim package, the 10-speaker hi-fi audio system, and the "automatic anti-dazzle" rear view mirror.  Included with the car were two sets of keys and all the books and manuals.  

With paperwork in hand, Geary brought me back to his desk where I got a lot of practice signing my name.  I was now a BMW owner for the first time in my life.  I want to thank Sales Consultant Geary McWhorter and the entire sales staff at Heyward Allen Toyota for a wonderful car buying experience !  Geary was a pleasure to work with.  Never once did I feel pressured or uncomfortable.  And he sold me an awesome ride !

« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 12:32:37 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 13, 2017, 01:15:17 AM »

continued .  .  .
Part 5 of 5

I took the long way back home since the sun was still shining bright.  Once there, I naturally had to take a bunch of pics because that's what I do.

The more I look at the Olivine Green Metallic paint, the more I love it !

I don't have any hard numbers.  But a quick Google search brings up a few discussion forum threads that deal with that paint color and how rare it is.  Several posts I saw echoed my thoughts from earlier – I've never seen another one.

And the paint is in remarkably good shape !  The front end is almost completely chip-free.

The reason why was in the trunk.  Apparently, the previous owner had the front end fitted with a cover.  I haven't seen one of these in years !  While it's not something I would use all the time, I can see where it would be beneficial on a long trip.

Also in the trunk were the factory BMW floor mats.   

They look used, but not beat up.  At some point, the previous owner added molded rubber floor mats, which I really like.

Ideally, the car would have the 225 hp 3.0L I-6.  But the 184 hp 2.5L I-6 will get the job done.  Both engines are well known for their smooth operation and longevity.

During my initial inspection of the engine bay, I couldn't find a power steering pump.  The Z4 features electric power steering, a feature that is now becoming quite common.  Eliminating the power steering pump reduces drag on the engine and frees up some space under the hood.   

The trunk is small, as is expected with this class of car.  This is where the Porsche Boxster has a distinct advantage.  That car's mid-engine layout allowed for a second luggage compartment up front.  Can't do that on this car.  While I won't be able to haul bags of mulch, I'll have no problem fitting a suitcase for those extended road trips.

The trunk floor is removable and allows access to the battery and factory tool kit which was still in place.

And so begins the next chapter of my vehicle ownership timeline.  I now have a one-owner, low miles, mint condition car sitting in my garage.  While no used car purchase is ever guaranteed to be trouble free, this car seems to have all the right ingredients.  So we'll see what happens.  Here's to many happy miles !

~  A 47k original mile car that has been well taken care of and truly looks the part.
~  Wonderful BMW seats.
~  I fit comfortably and have plenty of room in all directions.
~  Well-proven BMW inline 6-cylinder engine is known for its longevity.
~  Extensive dealership network, (including one in Athens), in case specialized knowledge is ever needed.
~  I got the deal I wanted.

~  Coming from a larger car will require a few adjustments on my part.   
~  Run-flat tires are expensive.
~  Massive blind spot over my right shoulder with the roof up, (but that won't happen very often !).
~  A noticeable difference in ride quality.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 01:13:14 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

racer91
Master

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 12, 2017, 07:18:54 AM »

Now that you are a BMW Owner, please dont forget how to use your turn signal 

Congrats

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 12, 2017, 11:46:12 PM »

Thanks !  I didn't realize just how widespread the BMW turn signal comment actually was.  I've been seeing it quite often now that I'm paying attention to it .  .  .

http://imgur.com/gallery/7dUzofk

RatherBNarizona
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: June 20, 2017, 06:49:20 PM »

That Jag was beautiful. One of the most beautiful cars and one I would never own. I wish it had relability because she sure looks good.

I love my Lexus because of the reliability and comfort.

Great color BMW! I like it!

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 21, 2017, 12:09:22 PM »

Thanks Ryan !  Your comments are right on target.  Jaguar builds beautiful cars.  I still find myself seeing one from that era and smiling at the car's lines.  But then I remember how many cheap plastic cooling system parts and fuel gauge sending units I've replaced over the years.  

I was chatting with a friend and former coworker of mine who now works in a local independent shop.  What was he working on at that moment ?  A newer Jaguar XF with cooling system parts made from cheap plastic that cracked and broke.  Unfortunately, that's what this industry is coming to .  .  .

RatherBNarizona
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: June 21, 2017, 03:34:53 PM »

It is sad that most 'car guys' see Jaguars and run away. If they could get better quality parts and better reliability I feel they would be much more successful.

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 22, 2017, 12:01:56 AM »

It is sad that most 'car guys' see Jaguars and run away.  If they could get better quality parts and better reliability I feel they would be much more successful.

This is a very interesting subject.  I have to wonder how that really works, and if Jaguar is even concerned.  A new XJ is an expensive car, (MSRP starting around $78k).  When dealing with customers of that level, I see a majority of stories going one of two ways.

Scenario 1:  They trade-in frequently for the newest model.  A new XJ comes with a 5 year/60k mile warranty.  If anything breaks, it gets fixed.  So if the customer trades every 3 or 4 years, they shouldn't have to pay to fix the car at all.

Scenario 2:  They are likely to get an extended warranty, (a Vehicle Protection Plan ), in case they plan on keeping the car long term.  I'm not exactly sure how long coverage can be extended.  One forum post I saw said a VPP adds a maximum of 6 years of additional coverage up to a total of 100k miles.  But the point is that even as the odometer climbs, the car is still covered.  And depending on how old a car can be for a dealer to offer a VPP, (I know we had restrictions at Ford), the car can technically be covered for maybe 8 or 9 years total ?  I don't know for sure.

In either scenario, the car is covered under warranty.  The customer doesn't have to pay anything for the first 5 years, and maybe only a deductible after that.  From a design standpoint, if the car performs trouble free for 6 - 8 years, the customer should be happy, and may be agreeable to trading it in for another one which should make Jaguar happy.  

While it's definitely nice for a manufacturer to be able to say that their cars last a long time, I question whether or not that makes a difference in today's automobile industry.  If you ask me, who bought a 15 year old used car, about Jaguar's reliability, I may have an .  .  . interesting .  .  . response.  But I think you would get a very different response asking that same question to the person who buys a new one every 3 - 6 years .  .  .
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 12:03:44 AM by Oldcarsarecool » Logged

racer91
Master

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 09, 2017, 02:18:35 PM »

Reminds me of this bit.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvJCCoLoKRA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvJCCoLoKRA</a>

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 13, 2017, 10:16:29 PM »

Wow !  I've said many times before and continue to say that my troubles are insignificant compared to those of others .  .  .

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]
  Print  

Jump to: