theautolounge.net
January 19, 2018, 01:32:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using 1.65v ram on a sandy bridge mobo?  (Read 1831 times)
Jerrycobra

A&P mechanic

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2011, 02:55:50 AM »

ok, intel tells you that you shouldn't use ram on it that is more than 1.5v on a sandybridge (2nd gen i series processor), but i already bought the ram, and decided to just meh try it since so many ppl online say its fine to do so, now after more research i am more skeptical so i took the ram off, what are u guy's opinion on it? btw this is a dell vostro 460 H67, and the bios is locked so no down volting option. and i do not want to fry my new i7-2600 by using incorrect ram.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 03:24:59 AM by Jerrycobra » Logged

Rather B.Blown
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 03:03:16 AM »

I didn't understand a single thing in that post. 

Jerrycobra

A&P mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 03:23:42 AM »

basically i got a new computer with one of the newest and fastest CPUs made. but, intel, the company that makes the CPU says you cannot use memory(ram), that operates at over 1.5v. well, the ram i use is 1.65v ram, more than recomended. doing so can cause over voltage on the CPU and fry it. 

closest analogy i can think of is this, say you turbo charge a car. engine is designed to take up to 10psi boost safely, but i decide to run it at 16psi and gamble

Sting Ray
Master

Resident Beanpole

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 09:02:03 AM »

Yeah from what you've posted in this thread and elsewhere, you seem to really have put the money into the processor, and gotten deals on the memory. Because of that, I'd say go find some 1.5v RAM.

"Every second I'm talking to you is another second I'm not at Waffle House." - Wayne Chism
Jerrycobra

A&P mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 05:15:46 PM »

ok, anyone want ram? lol i will sell it for 30, this ram will work perfectly with most ddr3 systems save for 2nd gen i series, and its pretty much brand new

Sting Ray
Master

Resident Beanpole

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 06:14:09 PM »

I have a first-gen Core i3. Will it work? Will it fit in a laptop? How many GB?

"Every second I'm talking to you is another second I'm not at Waffle House." - Wayne Chism
Jerrycobra

A&P mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 08:28:17 PM »

laptop takes different ram, its shorter, more stubby than desktop ram

Sting Ray
Master

Resident Beanpole

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 08:42:46 PM »

laptop takes different ram, its shorter, more stubby than desktop ram
Sonofabitch.

EDIT: That said, does that mean I could grab these and slap them into my laptop? How would I go about discovering if I have one RAM slot or two? Do I have to open my laptop? (If it helps, I have a Dell Studio 15 bought last August)

EDIT 2: You seem to know more about this than me, so another question: Is Corsair a good brand/are those decent chips? I have 3GB right now and Photoshop hates me for it, so I'd like to upgrade, especially if I decide to get a Wacom tablet and use PS all the time.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 08:53:18 PM by Sting Ray » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: