theautolounge.net
January 23, 2018, 05:23:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Toyota says there is "no meaning" in being No. 1  (Read 1512 times)
03_TrueBlue_GT
Grand Master

Doug

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2011, 09:00:06 PM »

Source : http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/13/toyota-says-there-is-no-meaning-in-being-no-1/

Toyota has said that the company is no longer interested in being the world's largest automaker in sales, according to Automotive News. Satoshi Ozawa, executive vice president for Toyota, was quoted as saying that there was no meaning behind the brand being in the top slot, and that customer service and satisfaction were more important to his company. Ozawa also said that he believes that Toyota will never have the goal of being number one.

In the past, the Japanese automaker had said that it intended to carve out a 15-percent slice of the global sales market. That would have made the company first in sales by default.

Toyota eclipsed General Motors as the world's largest automaker in 2007, but a recent rash of recalls, quality and reliability concerns have been attributed to the company's quick expansion. This year, Toyota expects to see profit fall by 31 percent compared to last year due to the earthquake, tsunami and nuclear disasters of March of this year

Kind of a pessimistic outlook for an automaker from their VP... In a business I would think you would want to be driven to be number one, that way you strive to improve what your selling no matter what, and not admit to being not the best or most popular...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 09:03:06 PM by 03_TrueBlue_GT » Logged

Sting Ray
Master

Resident Beanpole

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 09:42:06 PM »

Well that's a big turnaround from what got them there in the first place. Before they went all old-GM on us.

"Every second I'm talking to you is another second I'm not at Waffle House." - Wayne Chism
Syncros
Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 09:24:49 PM »

Man. I was looking at new Scions at the lot. If it wasn't for the FRS coming out id be driving a tC.

Fox
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 03:06:33 AM »

Does this mean they will stop playing the #1 car sold (Toyota Camry) commercial on one of my favorite video sites? Hope so.  Grin

I personally never believe in the business practice of bragging about being #1 in sales. Seems lame to me... most don't care 

Toyota, go back to being innovated and add a dash of exciting (sports cars).
Fluxx
Grand Master

Lasciate Ogni Speranza

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 07:15:48 AM »

Well the FRS should add a dash of exciting, I'm just waiting to see how much they will actually cost and if the Subie will be better looking. The FT-86 concept was a much better looking car than the FRS concepts as of late.
Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 06:40:33 PM »

I personally never believe in the business practice of bragging about being #1 in sales. Seems lame to me... most don't care 

Them bragging about it helps with sales. When you're #1, it shows that you know how to build cars and that you know how to sell them. Sales figures aren't like a Nurburgring time or top speed stat. They actually do matter in the real world.

Toyota saying that they see no reason behind being #1 is just an excuse for them dropping out of #1 for all the crap they've caused in the recent years.

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
03_TrueBlue_GT
Grand Master

Doug

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 10:06:18 PM »

isn't Volkswagen the number one automaker right now?

LeBaronGTC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 04:38:11 PM »

Source : http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/13/toyota-says-there-is-no-meaning-in-being-no-1/

Kind of a pessimistic outlook for an automaker from their VP... In a business I would think you would want to be driven to be number one, that way you strive to improve what your selling no matter what, and not admit to being not the best or most popular...

No, not all business's are driven to be number one in sales, many just care about making a quality product that people like.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: