theautolounge.net
January 18, 2018, 09:43:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ford updates 6th generation Taurus with new looks and new engine  (Read 2449 times)
Elmo187

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2011, 02:45:31 AM »

Source: AutoBlog
Upon taking the wraps off of the 2013 Ford Taurus, Derrick Kuzak, the automaker's group vice president of global product development, said the styling tweaks were wholly influenced by the new Audi A6. Sure, the new front fascia and LED square around the taillamps are total Audi knock-offs, but what's important to learn from this is that Ford is using the A6 as its target for the Taurus, and with a host of updates for the 2013 model year, Ford's flagship gets one step closer to being an Audi alternative.

All in, the design tweaks give the Taurus an added sense of aggressiveness, though the car is still immediately recognizable as a successor to the all-new flagship that debuted for the 2010 model year. The trapezoidal grille has been tweaked, and now features active air shutters to improve overall fuel economy. The hood has been fully resculpted, and out back, tweaked taillamps with LED running lights blend into a slightly revised rear fascia. Dual exhaust tips are now standard across the board, as are new 20-inch wheel options.

The big enhancements for 2013 are the Taurus' powertrains. Ford's trusty 3.5-liter V6 still serves as the base engine, though its output has been bumped up to 290 horsepower – a full 27 more horses than the outgoing car. New for 2013, though, is the addition of the automaker's 2.0-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engine, rated at 237 horsepower and 250 pound-feet of torque. With the EcoBoost engine underhood, the Taurus is estimated to achieve up to 31 miles per gallon on the highway.

Inside, there's a new steering wheel and more soft-touch materials have been added to the dash and center console, which now uses the automaker's MyFord Touch infotainment system. Other new enhancements include the addition of Ford's curve control system – first seen on the Explorer – that enhances cornering capability and braking control. Speaking of brakes, the Taurus also gets a larger brake master cylinder, meaning braking feel should be substantially better.

Pricing will be announced closer to the car's on-sale date in early 2012, and while the 2013 Taurus might not be a perfect competitor to Audi's A6, it's sure to offer similar content (and style) at a much lower price-point.

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
Fluxx
Grand Master

Lasciate Ogni Speranza

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 07:31:45 AM »

Still a good looking car, but not a huge update.
Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 09:47:04 AM »

Updated SHO only receives updated looks
Source: AutoBlog
Those of you hoping for a 400-horsepower Ford Taurus SHO are about to be severely disappointed. The 2013 Taurus SHO will continue to produce 365 horsepower and 350 pound-feet of torque from its 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6. Sure, that's still plenty of oomph for the SHO, but with rumors of a higher-output version now dashed, all we can say is, "shucks."

Let's not dwell on that, though. There are still plenty of improvements for the 2013 SHO to talk about.

Much like the rest of the refreshed Taurus line, the SHO features styling tweaks at both the front and rear. Unlike the base model, the SHO uses a unique mesh grille pattern up front and adds a new rear spoiler out back, as well as chrome-tipped dual exhaust pipes. A new 20-inch dark wheel option is also part of the SHO package, matching the black finish found on the mirrors and body trim. We like what we see.

There may not be a bump in power, but the 2013 Taurus SHO does get a new performance package option that is said to improve the car's performance prowess. Most notably, a 3.16:1 final drive ratio means initial acceleration is enhanced, and revised suspension tuning features new dampers and springs specific to this package. Additionally, the electronic steering system has been tuned, the stability control now has a track mode with a true 'off' setting and performance brake pads are now available with unique, "track-tuned" calipers. Still, we'd love to see an additional 40-ish horsepower.

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
03_TrueBlue_GT
Grand Master

Doug

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 03:53:22 PM »

My dad had one for a rental when his Mustang went into the shop for a few days *not the SHO just the mid level one*. I drove it a little and I was greatly impressed with Fords interior quality and overall build quality of the car. I loved the cockpit inspidered dash, when you sit in it you will know what I mean... The car also had the paddle shifter featers but I didnt get to use them on my 8 mile drive in the car... Still I really liked the car, the only thing bad about it was that going 80mph felt like 50mph, so if you dont pay attention to the speedometer you could get a lot of tickets in it haha. Also I do like the new chime Ford uses when you start the car lol. Grin

VTEC_Dreams
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 12:43:04 AM »

S'nice looking, but it's a damn hog of a car. Super big.

Also, I don't like all this turbocharging nonsense. They should just put the Coyote 5.0 under the hood rather than this "ecoboost" hoo-ha. It would fit, because this car and the Volvo S80 are kissing cousins, and it comes with a V8. It's not like it handles or anything in the first place.

Oh yeah, they're worried about "fuel economy", which is a joke when realistically, in the real world, the SHO gets 16mpg, and the Limited gets an astonishing...23.

Anyhow...
Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 04:20:24 AM »

S'nice looking, but it's a damn hog of a car. Super big.

Also, I don't like all this turbocharging nonsense. They should just put the Coyote 5.0 under the hood rather than this "ecoboost" hoo-ha. It would fit, because this car and the Volvo S80 are kissing cousins, and it comes with a V8. It's not like it handles or anything in the first place.

Oh yeah, they're worried about "fuel economy", which is a joke when realistically, in the real world, the SHO gets 16mpg, and the Limited gets an astonishing...23.

1. You can't get the same mileage with the 5.0 that you get with the EcoBoost 3.5. That's why they use a V8.

2. Just because it's a V8, doesn't mean it'll fit onto a platform where another car had one. The 4.4L Yamaha V8 was more compact than you think. Also, the new 5.0 isn't that compact of an engine. There's really not that much room under the hood of the Taurus anyway. You can't get anymore tight than what's in the SHO.

3. Throwing a V8 in the front in a transverse manner doesn't always fix the problem. The last generation Impala/Monte Carlo SS, Grand Prix GXP, and GXP/Bonneville had a V8. Guess what? They all were extremely nose heavy and handled like crap.

VTEC_Dreams
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 01:03:17 PM »

"Mileage" is relative when 16mpg is what the EcoBoost V6 makes on good days.

Point taken on the size of the Coyote and the packaging issues, but the SHO doesn't handle great anyways, and that's my point. I bet you bottom dollar that the plumbing and associated hardware with the turbocharging on the 3.5 weigh about the same as a V8. And like I said, the Taurus is a relative turd in the handling department anyhow.

The Turbo V6 thing is a marketing ploy for the sheeples who believe that a V6 is going to get better gas mileage than a V8, despite the fact that it's turbocharged within a yard of it's life, and it's strapped to a 2 ton tilda with AWD. If not the Coyote, they could have indeed put least that Yamaha 4.4L from the S80 in there. Nothing cooler than a Yamahammer Ford Taurus. That would have been a LOT more appealing, to me at least.

At least the V8 would last. I doubt the "true" longevity of all these modern turbocharged and direct injection engines. It's all too complicated.

Anyhow...
Fluxx
Grand Master

Lasciate Ogni Speranza

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 01:48:09 PM »

They torture tested an Ecoboost in a F-150 last year, posting videos all along the way. After getting the dyno cycle, they sent it to tow lumber in Oregon, tow two Fusion NASCAR racecars in a trailer at full throttle around an oval track for 24 hours, raced it in the Baja 1,000, and some other abuse thats slipping my mind at the moment. They then took the motor apart at SEMA in front of an audience and came up with no significant wear or stress. If it can handle it in a truck, then an Ecoboosts life in a Taurus should be a cakewalk. Just because it's 'merican doesn't mean it won't work.
http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/experiencef150/?section=torture:tear&intcmp=fv-fv-a1b08c03d000683e07f11g03h07j11k09m2n0p20110128
Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 02:29:51 PM »

"Mileage" is relative when 16mpg is what the EcoBoost V6 makes on good days.

Point taken on the size of the Coyote and the packaging issues, but the SHO doesn't handle great anyways, and that's my point. I bet you bottom dollar that the plumbing and associated hardware with the turbocharging on the 3.5 weigh about the same as a V8. And like I said, the Taurus is a relative turd in the handling department anyhow.

The Turbo V6 thing is a marketing ploy for the sheeples who believe that a V6 is going to get better gas mileage than a V8, despite the fact that it's turbocharged within a yard of it's life, and it's strapped to a 2 ton tilda with AWD. If not the Coyote, they could have indeed put least that Yamaha 4.4L from the S80 in there. Nothing cooler than a Yamahammer Ford Taurus. That would have been a LOT more appealing, to me at least.

At least the V8 would last. I doubt the "true" longevity of all these modern turbocharged and direct injection engines. It's all too complicated.

150,000 miles on one continuous dyno cycle, then taking it around an oval for 24 hours with 2 NASCAR-spec Fusions behind it on a trailer at full throttle, and then the Baja 1,000 (which has been proven to equal up to 20,000 miles of pure abuse on a regular street car). As Fluxx said, there was no wear and tear on the engine after being torn down at SEMA. So if that's an unreliable engine, then what would you call a Yugo?

By the way, turbocharged within a yard of its life? IIRC, it's only at 15 or 16lbs. Maybe a few higher. 365hp and it's not even putting out that much boost compared to other turbocharged engines out there with the same power.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 02:38:18 PM by Elmo187 » Logged

VTEC_Dreams
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 07:35:30 PM »

Has nothing to do with it being American--I'd trust a USA made engine anytime before anything from Europe, and 98% of stuff from Japan and Korea as well.

I just don't trust DI technology, or turbochargers in general. Has nothing to do with country of origin.

Seriously, name a turbocharged non-diesel engine from, say, 10-15 years ago that hasn't had major problems since then. The old supreme justices called physics and thermodynamics state in their bylaws that turbochargers kill long-term reliability.

Anyhow...
Fluxx
Grand Master

Lasciate Ogni Speranza

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 08:26:17 PM »

Fair enough, adding more components adds more opportunity for failure, but most of the turbo motors I've seen fail have been modified. I just think that with as many eggs as Ford put in the Ecoboost basket, they have done their homework. I could be eating my words in a few years though. What makes the motor most attractive to me is that I live around 6,000 feet above sea level, and snails help negate the power loss.
VTEC_Dreams
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 07:18:11 AM »

The DI tech is a little new-ish and unproven as well.

I've seen tons of instances around the interwebz with folks having problems with carbon buildup on valvetrains...apparently the DI system doesn't burn gas the same way and tons of carbon gets built up on the topside of valves, which obviously creates a need for them to be cleaned.

That's from a Porsche Cayenne. Yikes!

Anyhow...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: