theautolounge.net
January 23, 2018, 05:17:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can someone school me on cameras?  (Read 2203 times)
03_TrueBlue_GT
Grand Master

Doug

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2011, 10:50:19 PM »

Alright I want to ditch my pos Cannon Powershot A570 for a better camera... Now I know nothing about cameras and what makes them better than others... So could y'all that know a thing or two let me in on some stuff?

For example my buddy has a Nikon D200 that takes very good pictures and I really want to get something like it but am not wanting to drop 1200 dollars on one after going online and seeing the prices... 

Im looking to spend around 300-400 dollars max if I decide to go after one.... Is this enough and if not I guess I shouldnt pursue it then...
So are there any decent cameras out there that dont cost an arm and a leg to get that take quality pictures?

Imran
So nice to meet you.
Global Moderator
Grand Master

So nice to meet you.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 11:37:36 PM »

Canon EOS 7d
Mikey

Shaaazoooo!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 12:29:24 AM »

That's pretty much your first born....

Depends what you want... just a point and shoot or a dslr?

RatherBNarizona
Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 07:46:07 PM »

This is like saying I want a car, which one should I choose?

I'm guessing you want a DSLR? If you want quality pics, this would be your best bet. For the price range, you can either get the lowest range of NEW DSLR's, or a medium range used DSLR. My advice would be to get a used DSLR, CL and Ebay are great options. I like to get my hands on many cameras and get a feel for them. For example, I bought my DSLR off Ebay, but only after I tried out a friends.

You also need to think about a lens. Depending on what you are shooting, a lens can be more important than the actual camera. Since I don't know what you want to use it for, I can't really give you a suggestion. As for used DSLR's, I would look at a Nikon D40 or D60, or a Canon 20D, or EOS Rebel Xti. My camera new retailed for $1200, I picked it up on Ebay used for $400. I would stay away from high range cameras, at a beginner level, it will be intimidating and you need to start slow. Think of it like a crotch rocket, you don't want to go out there and hop on a Ducati 1098. You need to practice with a lower range camera to expand your knowledge of photography. Point and shoots can be decent, I've shot a lot of great photographs with my point and shoot. It is more about the photographer than the camera...

Mac
03_TrueBlue_GT
Grand Master

Doug

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 02:18:44 PM »

Well the reason I was asking everybody about it bc I was on my Facebook account and a buddy had taken some really good pictures of his truck and other things with is DSLR camera but his is 1400 dollars new .... His pictures looked similiar in quality to Tenkus pictures, so idk if that helps. Basically I want something that gives a better picture quality. I would use the camera mostly taking car pictures like at car meets or mine if I did get a new camera...

I want this kind of quality over

this...

Now I do realize that lighting is a big factor for good pictures, and I know that you can use some photo editing softwares to get the pictures looking really good. I used photobuckets editing for my pictures whenever I post pics of the car on here bc the pictures from my camera dont look right. So photobucket has been my friend for pictures, its just that I would like to take some really good pictures, and I want to get into the hobby because I do lik taking pictures....

Fox
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 03:45:12 PM »

You sir need a Polaroid PDC 5080; you can get them for $35 on Amazon!

Ok, not really.  Grin

I'm in the same situation, I have a Canon Powershot SD750. It is possible to take some detailed photos, but you really have to work at it. Most of the time I just fail. I think its time to step into DSLR.

Olympus Evolt E520 go for $400 used. "Photography" people will not admit this, but it is a pretty nice camera.

The camera I'm considering buying myself: Pentax K-x; its on sale for $630 at Amazon.com, but I don't know if I want to spend that much  Undecided
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5wriPwST-8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5wriPwST-8</a>

I've physically put my hands on both and they fit my palms great. The K-x feels solid! Both have build in-body shake reduction features which are good for low-light shooting.

Sorry, I'm probably not much help but I felt like posting something.
Mikey

Shaaazoooo!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 01:00:29 AM »

Grin

Just a hobby for me thou...

Canon Rebel T1i
Sigma HSM 120-400mm
Canon IS 18-200mm
Canon IS 18-55mm

Small collection of filters, speedlite is in the mail.. hopefully tomorrow. Also recently picked up a battery grip and a camera back pack (MUST HAVE!)

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 06:24:30 PM »

I have a Canon S3IS that takes surprisingly good pictures, especially for a point-'n-shoot.  Now, the idiot operating the camera needs a bunch of work .  .  .

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: